Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,064 times

Advertisements

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops | NBC Bay Area

Here is a list of crimes in Oakland that the police chief has said they will not respond to. I guess you can commit any of these freely, without fear of reprisal or arrest:

• burglary
  • theft
  • embezzlement
  • grand theft
  • grand theft:dog
  • identity theft
  • false information to peace officer
  • required to register as sex or arson offender
  • dump waste or offensive matter
  • discard appliance with lock
  • loud music
  • possess forged notes
  • pass fictitious check
  • obtain money by false voucher
  • fraudulent use of access cards
  • stolen license plate
  • embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
  • extortion
  • attempted extortion
  • false personification of other
  • injure telephone/ power line
  • interfere with power line
  • unauthorized cable tv connection
  • vandalism
  • administer/expose poison to another's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,085,039 times
I would guess that a few of those are only to conjure up support for getting a deal in place to avoid the layoffs.

"Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if layoffs go as planned."

Oakland has made a lot of strides, it seems, we'll have to hope that 80 officers don't get laid off and if it has to come to that, hopefully not for very long.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,120 times
Well, not quite. If you read the article, you'd see that none of these require an immediate response by the police, and they said instead of sending a patrol cop, they will take the report online. Basically, the reporting is moving to a digital medium instead of in-person, pending the 80 person layoff. With some pension concessions, though, the layoff will not happen - my guess is Chief Batts is trying to get people fired up about the importance of police, in order to use public outcry as a bargaining chip. I respect both him and the OPD, but I think some pension reform across the board is in order.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,249,974 times
Wow, Oakland is officially one of the most crime infested cities in the World.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Well, not quite. If you read the article, you'd see that none of these require an immediate response by the police,
Yeah that's cool. Things like reporting "sex offenders", someone poisoning you, and criminal extortion by organized crime don't require an immediate response. You can just go online and tell people it's happening to you.

Oakland is going to become a haven for crime in the coming months and Oakland residents wonder why they can't attract private investment for a new baseball stadium.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 AM

36,652 posts, read 67,439,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Well, not quite. If you read the article, you'd see that none of these require an immediate response by the police, and they said instead of sending a patrol cop, they will take the report online. Basically, the reporting is moving to a digital medium instead of in-person, pending the 80 person layoff. With some pension concessions, though, the layoff will not happen - my guess is Chief Batts is trying to get people fired up about the importance of police, in order to use public outcry as a bargaining chip. I respect both him and the OPD, but I think some pension reform across the board is in order.
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I would guess that a few of those are only to conjure up support for getting a deal in place to avoid the layoffs.
Yeah that's a smart tactic, let the hoodlums run wild in the most crime ridden city in the state in hopes that it will "twist the arms" of council people to not layoff cops.

Sounds like extortion to me, but oh wait, that's a crime the police in Oakland wouldn't respond to anyway. Man those Oakland Councilmen are smart cookies.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,131,524 times
Didn't the 80 layoff notices go out already?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM

They did go out. 120 more police men are on the chopping block.

Oakland is going to look worse than the wasteland in Mad Max if 120 more get the chop.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 AM

323 posts, read 697,062 times
I think this will be an interesting experiment to see if criminals really run rampant with less police. Most people are honest and don't want any problems in their lives that will not change. Those with malicious intent will not increase just because they think no one will arrest them I think. But who knows time will tell. I hope good will prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland