Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
I was going to say.... 40's, single, fit, employed..... You'll be covered in women anywhere in the world....
Uh I think that's exaggerating a bit. Guys generally gotta put in some work for a bit to get dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM

310 posts, read 651,517 times
Thanks so much mayorhaggar for the info on Oakland neighborhoods! that's exactly what i was looking for...the first 3 you mention (temmescal, grand lake, piedmont avenue) ...i think i at least somewhat have a beat on (from my research). But what is this Cleveland Heights you speak of? First time I've heard of that one...where is it? what is it?

...and btw, any of these neighborhoods we've mentioned more amenable than another for the single scene...or am i most likely hitting up SF no matter what for that? (which i can deal with if necessary)

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 AM

310 posts, read 651,517 times
btw - i bet you don't often hear out-of-staters excited about moving to Oakland (vs. SF and SV)...but I've researched this alot, and I think I get it. I enjoy being part of a community here where I live now (and volunteering, etc) and I would look forward to doing the same there.

Not sure where the whole "Oakland Renaissance" is right now, but it would be great to be a part of it somehow.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkCityGirl View Post
If you don't like Asian women, San Francisco has virtually no good looking single women. My brothers come to visit and the first thing they notice is how there are no good looking women in SF.

Curious. Considering SF women tend to eat organic, don't smoke and exercise like mad, it's almost impossible for them not to look good. Maybe your brothers are not into the slim athletic type?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAvenue_to_Oakland View Post
Thanks so much mayorhaggar for the info on Oakland neighborhoods! that's exactly what i was looking for...the first 3 you mention (temmescal, grand lake, piedmont avenue) ...i think i at least somewhat have a beat on (from my research). But what is this Cleveland Heights you speak of? First time I've heard of that one...where is it? what is it?

...and btw, any of these neighborhoods we've mentioned more amenable than another for the single scene...or am i most likely hitting up SF no matter what for that? (which i can deal with if necessary)
Cleveland Heights is just east of Lake Merritt.

The areas I mentioned have a really nice walkable feel but I dunno how great they are for the "single scene"...but they do have tons of bars and restaurants that would be good for a casual date. I'm not really sure that people here are still all that into meat market places where you walk up and try to hit on strangers--people here can be a bit shy. There are clubs but they're mostly in SF.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Cleveland Heights is just east of Lake Merritt.

The areas I mentioned have a really nice walkable feel but I dunno how great they are for the "single scene"...but they do have tons of bars and restaurants that would be good for a casual date. I'm not really sure that people here are still all that into meat market places where you walk up and try to hit on strangers--people here can be a bit shy. There are clubs but they're mostly in SF.
If you are into the low key pickup, that is pretty easy. In a small bar, at an event or something. People tend to meetup while sharing common interests. You'll find people in Oakland are generally really friendly, so if you are subtle you'll have no problems. The good old, chat up your neight at the bar stool, in line at the store etc is effective. The "bay area elbow grab" is not an effective method.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 PM

227 posts, read 538,515 times
^ ITA. There are a lot of single women around here (Oakland and SF), but I see most people meeting folks through friends, or through mutual activities where folks become "friends" first. There are not a lot of clubs in Oakland though (some, but mostly bars) so if you like to meet women through a club scene, SF (or SJ) will be better for that. But when I was single, I ran into guys fairly often via bars, lounges, restaurants, grocery stores, the Lake (Merritt), and outdoor festivals.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM

330 posts, read 749,765 times
Quote:
If you don't like Asian women, San Francisco has virtually no good looking single women. My brothers come to visit and the first thing they notice is how there are no good looking women in SF.
This is a comically false statement.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
Quote:

Wow ... that's so true! Whenever I travel to LA it's one of the first things I notice. Maybe the women in SF just don't try.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Its not that they're not good looking. Its just that they dress down a bit and "cover up" more. I can understand that being as its quite cold much of the time in SF.

LA is the opposite of that. But lots of fakes there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland