Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,350,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hey now. I remember a couple years ago, there was a teenaged Asian girl who was gunned down in Alameda, and the sfgate boards were on fire with statements about how black people were targetting Asians for being the "weaker" minority, and that black people brought crime into otherwise-safe white/Asian suburbs. Many Asian people logged on and reminded everyone that the girl murdered was an honor student whose family had moved from their southeast Asian nation (I think it was Cambodia or Laos?) a few years earlier, her parents were hard workers, and speculated that a poor black kid raised on food stamps had shot her out of jealousy or a genetic/social predisposition to wanting to hurt the innocent.

...then it turned out the shooter was a teenaged Asian-American kid who was trying to prove he was "hard" so he could join the Asian gang his brothers and uncles were in. He stalked the girl and her friends in a park with some of his buddies, came up behind her, plugged her in the back without saying anything, and then they ran away like the cowards they were.

Turning this into a case of race-on-race crime is foolish, short-sighted and ultimately just incindiary and pointless.

If I was there in the car in front of them, they'd probably have gone for me: on the night in question, I was wearing a $100 dress shirt with a white collar and cufflinks, and I drive a convertible sports car (and they would, indeed, have made off with more money). If there was an older black guy dressed nicer than me carrying a briefcase and talking into a Blackberry that had walked by, they probably would have gone for him instead because it would have been an "easier" taget and in their simple minds, the briefcase would have been filled with jewels, wads of cash, and a laptop.

People who commit crimes like this are equal-opportunity scumbags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,152,029 times
Crime Scene : San Francisco's unluckiest thief LOL

Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM

36,652 posts, read 67,420,867 times
Oakland Homicide Count
Year-to-Date
6/23/2010: 50
6/23/2009: 62
6/23/2008: 77

Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,227,376 times
the top Bay Area cities for homicides (raw numbers) as of 2007 and 2008, compared to their homicide totals in 1992 and 1993:

2007:
Oakland - 120
San Francisco - 100
Richmond - 47
San Jose - 33
Vallejo - 15

2008:
Oakland - 115
San Francisco - 99
San Jose - 31
Richmond - 27
Vallejo - 13

-----------------------------------

1992:
Oakland - 165
San Francisco - 117
Richmond - 46
San Jose - 43
Vallejo - 13

1993:
Oakland - 154
San Francisco - 129
Richmond - 52
San Jose - 41
Vallejo - 10

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

457 posts, read 1,181,152 times
Come on. You know better than to bring up the crime problem in the bay area. Why do you think crime is so prevalent there? <-sarcasm

It's more than just seeing a Asian guy as weak. Asian's and illegal farm worker type people carry more $$$ in the wallet than a lot of people. I personally have maybe 5 bucks if I'm lucky. There are also other factors in why/how people who rob other people select their targets.

To 415_s2k I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. It's a lot to handle. Your experience shows that there are "nuts" of all races out there. I think Norcal Dude is referring to the day to day crime. Not the "news worthy" type crime that happened to you.

For Rah and 18montclair

Straight from City Data. Here are the robbery numbers for Oakland.

1999 had 2190 with a overall crime rate of 812.9
2000 had 1929 with a overall crime rate of 706.6
2001 had 2125 with a overall crime rate of 695.6
2002 had 2452 with a overall crime rate of 740.7
2003 had 2474 with a overall crime rate of 734.6
2004 had 2190 with a overall crime rate of 705.9
2005 had 2672 with a overall crime rate of 801.7
2006 had 3354 with a overall crime rate of 969.2
2007 had 3470 with a overall crime rate of 945.9
2008 had 3323 with a overall crime rate of 906.6

I don't see the crime going down I see it going up. There is a large increase in robberies. In 2008 that breaks down to a average of 9.1 robberies per day.

A huge reason in homicides being lower now compared to the early 90's is the advancement in the medical treatment they recieve on scene and immediately in the hospital. I bet Oakland would have a lot more homicides if there hadn't been these advancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Photos released in Google job hopeful's killing

These animals need to be put down like the dogs that they are.

I hope they catch these scum like the other monsters who killed that other asian father in Oakland.

Black on asian crime is not cool and needs to be addressed in the bay area. It is clear this is becoming a problem, as thugs from oakland see the asians as 'weak'.

Well the only thing week about this story is the fact that this guy was a father of three and a productive individual, while these animals which society could cleary do with out probably spent that 17 dollars on a dub of purple weed.

I hate the east bay.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,664 times
Unfortunately, while they are down from the 1990s numbers which reflects an overall nationwide trend, there is still obviously too much violent crime in San Francisco and Oakland.

It's amazing to me that Honolulu, with 900,000 people, plenty of income disparity issues, deficient mental health services and a several years long problem with meth, continues to log around 20 or fewer homicides per year - and just 14 in 2009. Must have something to do with the "auntie" factor whereby Pacific Islander populations tend to be concerned about the opinions of older family members and in some cases are policed by them just as much as the cops.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 PM

99 posts, read 193,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Well my old man killed in NAM, but back then they did not really give draftees medals for trying to stay alive. Good to know the military has changed things and your dad has some cool medals. Only medal my dad got was a purple heart for taking shrapnell from a grenade. But thats another story we can get to in another thread.

See the problem is you are trying to act is if you know the killers motives and theories. You have no idea whether or not this crime was racially motivated or not and neither do I. The fact of the matter is that black on asian crime has been happening in the bay area (whether racially motivated or not) and it needs to be addressed.

Nothing is going to get solved if bay area residents keep having the stereotypical yokal california burry your head in the sand mentality. Every body just has this out of site out of mind mentality to try to get through day to day life, with out addressing problems. Thats why the quality of life in the east bay keeps getting lower and lower.

You say that guy 'could have been anything". But that is not true. he was born asian and looked asian, the only 'anything' he could be was asian.

I would not be surprised in the least if the killers walked by half a dozen blacks and hispanics before finding their "soft" target.

This type of stuff needs to be addressed in the bay area.
I agree completely. Too bad the public is way too passive on this.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,925,241 times
Just read this:

Man shot 12 to 15 times in San Francisco's Bayview District - San Jose Mercury News

Supposed to be gang-related.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM

36,652 posts, read 67,420,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
2006 had 3354 with a overall crime rate of 969.2
2007 had 3470 with a overall crime rate of 945.9
2008 had 3323 with a overall crime rate of 906.6

I don't see the crime going down I see it going up.
Incorrect.

By your own numbers, Oakland is seeing its 4th consecutive year or a overall drop in crime.

Oakland's crime was down 10% in 2009 from 2008 and is down even more so far in 2010.

We are not headed in the wrong direction, but the right direction.

Quote:
A huge reason in homicides being lower now compared to the early 90's is the advancement in the medical treatment they recieve on scene and immediately in the hospital.
There is absolutely NO data to substantiate this claim. I think you made this up.

Quote:
I bet Oakland would have a lot more homicides if there hadn't been these advancements.
The bottom line is upwards of 80% of Oakland's homicides are people dying while engaged in criminal activity. If you are a law abiding citizen and are not involved in crime, you are safe.Quite safe actually.

It gets tiresome when out-of-towners with no meaningful experience with Oakland postulate about crime there when they really don't know what they are talking about.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,122,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
Are you trying to battle Mr. Fantastic for the Oakland hating forum idiot trophy? There is no Black Vs. Asian problem in Oakland.
Actually there is a problem with Black on Asian Crimes. Part of it stems from the stores being run by usually Asian/Indian folks and possibly them being mistrustful of Black youths. So then crime occurs. I have heard it from both the Asian friends and the Black friends. I personally think ALL crime is a hate crime. You hate that I have money in my wallet so you target me to steal it. That is HATRED, it's all hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland