U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 33,824 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I have never lived in the bay area and I'm moving to Bay area from Chicago and I will be working in Redwood city. I'm contemplating renting a apartment either in Fremont or in Sunnyvale, so I will need experts advise in deciding which ares would be better to reside. I hear that 84(Dumborton, sorry worng spelling) bridge is little bad to commute if I live in Fremont and commute to Redwood. I also hear that 101 is bad to commute if I live in Sunnyvale aswell. I would like to know which of the one is a better "evil"? I have also found that certain pockets of Fremont the school are good and the rent are also cheaper but I find the rents are expensive in Sunnyvale.

Thanks in advance for your expert advises!!

Regards,
sraj
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 03:19 PM

3,702 posts, read 13,931,880 times
Why commute? Why not live in the Redwood City area - west of El Camino Real (State Rt 82) or nearby in San Carlos or Menlo Park. Rent might be a little higher but it might be worth it to skip the commute. You're right about the commute being bad on the Dumbarton bridge and Hwy 101. It's usually bad on any given day.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 PM

29,042 posts, read 48,316,037 times
I agree with Humboldt, you're much better off staying close to Redwood City. Crossing ANY bridge is a bad idea here, though Dumbarton does have less traffic than the others... 101 from Sunnyvale to RC wouldn't be too bad (the lesser of those "evils", to answer your question), but you'd be creeping along at a frustrating speed each way. I'd figure on a 20-25 minute commute from Sunnyvale, and probably 30+ minutes from Fremont.

There are lots of nice places to live near Redwood City, and the rent/real estate isn't that bad compared to other areas. You should look around San Carlos, Belmont, Menlo Park, west Redwood City, and maybe the north end of San Mateo. Check the rental prices on craigslist in these towns, and I bet you'll find something good!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 33,824 times
Thank you both your advices. Based upon your suggestions I'm now reconsidering my choices.

Warm regards,
Suraj

Old 06-26-2007, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 16,888 times
Wink Redwood City Transportation

I can only roll my eyes in rememberance of my experience there. I lived in Redwood City for two years, playing music in every bar down the streets. I was very well known there, although I did have a day job in a law firm in Palo Alto. The train, from San Jose to San Francisco, is awsome. You can live in Sunnyvale, if you want to take the train. Realize that the Bay Area has the best public transit. So, forget you even have a car, most of the time, and wear your tennies with your nylons and duster over your dress, with your heels in a bag. Really. That's the style, and it's only for walking down those streets with grates for run-off. I had heels on and got stuck in one with my heel, having to take it off, and it was so embarrassing, that I decided to match everyone else. I'm moving to Marin County or Santa Rosa when I leave this screwy place I call home, in Prescott, Arizona. My whole family is between Napa, Marin, Walnut Creek, Berkeley and San Jose. I belong back there, not here. My mom died in November so things changed very quickly. My parents don't live 3 miles from me anymore and I have a rotten marriage to a man that stays out a couple of nights a week. Actually, we are very close friends, but he make for no good husbandry and I am trying to meet someone in the Bay Area who would like to chit chat and I can have a friend or two by the time I move (in about 6 months to a year). Good luck.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM

59 posts, read 372,507 times
Default don't forget tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Rent might be a little higher but it might be worth it to skip the commute.
And skip the tolls too. Are the tolls $3 or $4 now?. If you carpool with 2 or more people and cross the San Mateo or Dumbaton bridge before 10am (or is it 9am) then there is no toll.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 PM

14,479 posts, read 23,362,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readuntil View Post
And skip the tolls too. Are the tolls $3 or $4 now?. If you carpool with 2 or more people and cross the San Mateo or Dumbaton bridge before 10am (or is it 9am) then there is no toll.
Tolls are $4 now -- with frequent hints that $5 is coming soon...

Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM

256 posts, read 1,351,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suraj View Post
Hello Friends,

I have never lived in the bay area and I'm moving to Bay area from Chicago and I will be working in Redwood city. I'm contemplating renting a apartment either in Fremont or in Sunnyvale, so I will need experts advise in deciding which ares would be better to reside. I hear that 84(Dumborton, sorry worng spelling) bridge is little bad to commute if I live in Fremont and commute to Redwood. I also hear that 101 is bad to commute if I live in Sunnyvale aswell. I would like to know which of the one is a better "evil"? I have also found that certain pockets of Fremont the school are good and the rent are also cheaper but I find the rents are expensive in Sunnyvale.

Thanks in advance for your expert advises!!

Regards,
sraj
Fremont is a nice area. I grew up there.. There is like 2 "bad" parts of town but they are not bad really. Anyways why don't you look into Redwood City it costs about the same as Sunnyvale and is pretty nice.

Between Fremont and Sunnyvale though definitely Fremont the commute over the Dumbarton is not bad really. and from fremont to rwc is like a 15-20 min drive max
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland