Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 PM

53 posts, read 133,318 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to SoMa when I come to SF because of proximity to Caltrain. Either there or Potrero Hill.

From what I can tell Potrero Hill might be more my speed(more laid back) but SoMa has more options. I'm worried SoMa might be a bit to Super-Yuppie and Manhattan-esqe for me.

How are these neighborhoods viewed? Also any areas within the two to avoid?

Also, budget is around 2000-2500, could possibly extend to 3k depending on job offer. Is that reason for a 1BR? I'd really like a loft if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
The eastern part of SOMA near the ball park and Caltrain is definitely yuppie central, everything is new and slick highrises without much character. On the other hand there are a lot of shops and restaurants there unlike closer to Market Street where everything closes past 5pm.

Potrero Hill is more of a normal SF neighborhood but in the areas near the 22nd street station there are a lot of new pricy condos for Silicon Valley CEO types. Potrero is mostly big old houses and is mainly residential though there are some blocks with a few restaurants here and there. It is close to downtown but it feels really isolated from the rest of the city because it's separated from the nice part of the Mission by the bad part of the Mission, and has SOMA at its north end which isn't a great area to walk around, and the south part of Potrero Hill is a lot of nasty housing projects. I wouldn't want to live there but if you have a car and want to be close to Caltrain it could be good.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 AM

53 posts, read 133,318 times
Good info thanks alot! If I skip the whole Caltrain thing just worry about driving down to Silicon Valley what are some other neighborhoods worth considering.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
To get on 280 or 101 it would be best to live somewhere in the southern or central part of SF. Noe Valley, Glen Park, Bernal Hill, the Castro/Upper Market, Duboce Triangle, Hayes Valley (hard to park here though), the Mission (anywhere west of Misison St. is way cleaner and safer than anywhere on or east of Mission), and the Sunset would all work and are safe and nice places to live.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
I work in SV and live in Lower Pac Heights. It takes me about 10 minutes to get onto US 101 via Octavia. My total commute time to Palo Alto (on 280) is about 45 minutes in the mornings and about 55-60 minutes in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland