U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:28 AM

52 posts, read 279,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
What is Belvedere like? Is there good dining, shopping? What appeals to the you Denise about Point Reyes? I am also looking into that area as well. How would you say it differs from Santa Barbara if you have visited there?
I grew up in Belvedere. My brother still owns a house there. It's a beautiful place with waterfront or hillside houses, narrow, windy roads, lots of trees and views of San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito and Mount Tamalpais. It's geographically isolated but still close to everything, separated from the Tiburon Peninsula by a lagoon (Belvedere Lagoon.) Apart from the lagoon, Belvedere is an "island" (and looks like one) plus half of another, smaller "island" called Corinthian Island.

According to a recent survey I read in the paper, Belvedere has the highest per capita income in the United States for a town of 1,000 population or more. According to a recent guide to Marin published by the Independent Journal, the average price of a house in Belvedere is $2.6 million. Because of the waterfront and hilly terrain, there are few large estates in Belvedere. But lots are large enough for privacy.

There are no restaurants or retail businesses in Belvedere, and very little crime. But you can go shopping and eat out in Tiburon. San Francisco is accessible either by the ferry or by car (a 25 minute drive.) People in Belvedere play tennis, sail (there are two yacht clubs, plus the lagoon) and pretty much keep to themselves.

It was a great place to grow up, and it's not a bad place for someone who wants peace and quiet while at the same time having quick access to San Francisco, Marin and the rest of the Bay Area.

Compared to San Francisco, the weather in Belvedere is warm. It escapes most of the fog that blankets San Francisco. But it's never really hot in Belvedere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal5453 View Post
Move to Santa Rosa. Its just to the north of Marin County, in Sonoma County. Nice peaceful. There is Graffiti in Marin County. Not much in Sonoma. Santa Rosa has about 150,000 people, so it's big enough to avoid San Fran Traffic, and crime most the time. I am not too fond of the Bay Area(esp. San Fran) because 5 years ago, I was getting into my car, and got beaten, and car jacked. They found my car at low tide Near Vallejo, but I was Hospitalized for 2 months. Trust me graffiti is the least of your worries there.
Santa Rosa? Traffic, gangs and graffitti, by all means DO exist there. As with many other cities, there are good and bad areas and Santa Rosa is no exception. If Sonoma county happens to be your choice, I would try to look at other areas before making a choice to live there. In addition, traffic on 101, from and to Santa Rosa, continues to be bad, regardless of the addition of the carpool lane.

Marin county will be your best bet if wanting to be close to the San Francisco. Sausalito wold be the closest to Mt Tam but you will face a somewhat fair amount of traffic on the main street. Pretty much all throughout you will have gorgeous views, a very nice community and somewhat quiet. Very nice shopping and restaurants.

From my personal experience, I did live in Larkspur, and even if I enjoy Mill Valley very much for the shopping, the food and the Coffee shops, I would probably stick to Larkspur or Corte Madera. Mill Valley can be crammed up but it's still lovely.

Now Belvedere, would defintiely be my number one choice. As mentioned by Starkt, it is a peaceful and quiet area, surrounded by natural beauty. Tiburon, with all of it's ammenities, is nearby, and will allow you to have plenty to see and visit as well commercial areas and restaurants that are very pleasant. Traffic is very controlled on E Blithesdale (main access road to Tiburon/Belvedere) and surveillance is constant. You will not find any "Cruella DeVille" drivers there. I must say, there is a path for jogging and bicycles next to the water in Tiburon that is very nice.

San Rafael has had become a busier area than it was about 7 years ago. Downtown can be congested and as Deedrit mentioned it does give a strange vibe. It could be a good choice if living in the hilly areas but then again, you would have to face the downtown area. Past it, you will find Ross (one of my favorite areas second to Tiburon/Belvedere) and San Anselmo. Ross is also very quiet and beautful with tons of nature and green. San Anselmo can also be very nice, quiet and peaceful. The only disadvantage to either Ross or San Anselmo is the traffic to access either.

I am only making reference to the towns from Sausalito to San Rafael, since you make specific reference to traffic. 101 has remarkeably bad traffic during rush hours to the north past San Rafael.

I hope this helps!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
I Need To Find The Local Phone Directory Looking For A Person To Advise Them Of A Problem At Home Where Do I Find Info On Phone Numbers, Cell Phone And Addresses In Mill Valley Or Marin County Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 65,464 times
Marin is a great place; if you're thinking of heading into the city on a regular basis stick to Southern Marin south of San Rafael or your looking at congested traffic during peak hours. Jobs in the city (SF) tend to pay more so if you will be working in the city you'll wan to take public transportation. So make sure wherever you decide to live fits your daily work routine. Sausalito, Tiburon, and Larkspur have both Ferry and Bus services, while Mill Valley and Corte Madera have just Bus only. Belvedere is off from Tiburon and really doesn't have much rental property so unless you're in the market to buy, it's probably worth your while to focus on the other areas. Each area has a different personality so it just depends on what best fits you. Mill Valley tends to be where a lot of young couples are taking root and starting families; lots of kids. Whereas Tiburon is more of a retirement community; lots of older folks with their dogs. Sausalito is definitely a tourist town, it's small but people tend to have their own cliques. Regardless, any of the places mentioned above are great places to live; it's a beautiful area.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,906 times
Wow lot's of replies it seems like you've touched a nerve. I think all the towns in Marin have something to offer. I live in Sausalito and although it's right across the Golden gate Bridge from bridge from San Francisco it feels like it's a world away. All the towns have something to offer it depends on whether your into views, trees, water or mountains or in some case you can pick them all. Graffitiis really not an issue but I'd say that the biggest problem in the county is the traffic. If you want more information to start your search Google "Marin County Relocation" Good luck.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,781,258 times
The OP seems really interested in 'quiet' areas.

Marin County for the most part is very quiet. Even the touristy areas of Sausalito and Tiburon are only busy in the touristy parts of town-summer especially.

I used to live in Tiburon and its very ideal. Beautiful homes, beautiful views, gorgeous nature and you are still close to the city-yet you don't feel like it encroaches upon you. And its usually very quiet.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 PM

334 posts, read 983,976 times
Coming from SoCal, having lived in Newport Beach for several years, and having spent a bit of time in Marin. I would say Tiburon would be the easiest and best transition for a move from Newport Beach. Mill Valleys downtown area is a bit like downtown Laguna Beach, only older. That would be my next choice. Corte Madera is also nice, with a couple of shopping centers, but nothing to the effect of South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island. It is also colder in Marin, and you will need serious outerwear especially this time of year. There are very few people living in Marin vs. the size so it will never feel crowded anywhere. There are fewer shopping and dining options and things close much earlier than what you are used to. Marin is also extremely liberal politically vs. Newport/OC conservatism.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM

276 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Coming from SoCal, having lived in Newport Beach for several years, and having spent a bit of time in Marin. I would say Tiburon would be the easiest and best transition for a move from Newport Beach. Mill Valleys downtown area is a bit like downtown Laguna Beach, only older. That would be my next choice. Corte Madera is also nice, with a couple of shopping centers, but nothing to the effect of South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island. It is also colder in Marin, and you will need serious outerwear especially this time of year. There are very few people living in Marin vs. the size so it will never feel crowded anywhere. There are fewer shopping and dining options and things close much earlier than what you are used to. Marin is also extremely liberal politically vs. Newport/OC conservatism.
Ummm, it's incredibly congested and crowded in Marin County. There are so many huge land areas that are protected that the homes are built almost on top of one another. The walls of my single family home shake when my neighbor's music is on. Coming from a place where we had decent space between homes, I feel incredibly claustrophobic here. And ask anyone who does the daily commute on Sir Francis Drake or the Miracle Mile - it is congested and crowded!

As far as Marin being "colder", I have yet to bring out the winter jacket and we are half-way through December. A decent fleece is all you need, IMO. People in Marin tend to be a bit sensitive about the cold and bring out the mittens, scarves, and down coats when the temperature drops below 60. It's freakish, really.

If we could do it over again, we'd stay as close to 101 and the city as possible. Maybe Greenbrae.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 AM

4,152 posts, read 10,262,120 times
Anyone happen to notice that the OP on this is from August 18th 2006?!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Marin county and Sonoma county are both great places to live, quiet and charming but close to the city life. You can't go wrong in my opinion even though I have seen some pretty fierce traffic in all directions from time to time. Our biggest problem with living there, even though it was a zillion years ago was how liberal it was. The friends we still have living there, say it is more liberal now..Other than that and of course the price of property, it is great..

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland