U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,209,447 times

Advertisements

I'd say Marin is pretty mellow overall compared to, say, San Jose, which is much more similar to SoCal in its sprawl and congestion, as well as its mega-malls and restaurants. I would live in Marin in a heartbeat if I could afford a $2 million townhome... Yeah, I wouldn't say "serious outerwear" is necessary, unless by that, you mean long pants and a sweater. But people do seem to bundle up like they're in the midwest, so I can't imagine what they would wear if they actually left California for somewhere snowy, haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM

334 posts, read 983,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
As far as Marin being "colder", I have yet to bring out the winter jacket and we are half-way through December. A decent fleece is all you need, IMO. People in Marin tend to be a bit sensitive about the cold and bring out the mittens, scarves, and down coats when the temperature drops below 60. It's freakish, really.
I fall into the freak category then. I think temps dipping into the high 30's and low 40's when the sun goes down is freeeezing. Brrrrrrr!

Then what is frustrating...after you bundle up to deal w/ the cold outside, you go into a shop or building and it is 80 degrees! So you have to peel off all your layers practically down to your skivvies or you will be roasting, schlep it all over the place while shopping, then put it all back on when you leave.

I know if you are from cold weather like Minneapolis, where I have been in Feb w/ 28 below zero weather, this is probably ridiculous, but if you are from California originally, when the weather drops below, I would say in So Cal 60, and Nor Cal 50, its cooooooold!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland