Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrhino View Post
Hello,

We have narrowed down our house search to Orinda and Piedmont based on the public school system.

We have a hard time deciding between the two:

Orinda:

+ Significantly larger, better house in Orinda vs Piedmont for the price
+ Feels much safer
- Commute to SF will be painful (I work in SF and need to drive)
- Country like (feels like everything is slow and remote) / need to drive everywhere

Piedmont:

+ Feels more urban / walkable
+ Commute to SF is much easier
- Significantly smaller, older house in Piedmont vs Orinda for the price
- Been informed that burglary, theft could still be an issue given its location within Oakland

Please kindly share any personal thoughts / experiences. Especially, I would be interested in hearing those who went through the similar decision making process.

Thanks!
Orinda doesnt feel safer than Piedmont-it feels more remote. In fact, I can't think of one entrance into Piedmont from Hy 24 or Hy 13 that 'looks unsafe'

The only thing I can think of is that some people automatically equate the sight of Black people with danger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoCT
That said Piedmont is worth it IF you can keep an eye on your kid at all times, watch your back, dress down, go in groups, drive muted colored automobiles, no expensive jewelry and take the same precautions you would take in Bronxville, Pelham and other high-end urban neighborhoods surrounded by criminals.
Piedmont is surrounded by EXCELLENT Oakland neighborhoods on ALL SIDES.

Crocker Highlands, Glenview, Oakmore, Montclair, Rockridge, Lakeshore, Grand Lake and Piedmont Avenue are all great areas to live in-period.

I bought my parents a house in Piedmont and Orinda hoping theyd move there but they were bored out of their minds in both and moved back to East Oakland.

Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Orinda doesnt feel safer than Piedmont-it feels more remote. In fact, I can't think of one entrance into Piedmont from Hy 24 or Hy 13 that 'looks unsafe'

The only thing I can think of is that some people automatically equate the sight of Black people with danger,

Piedmont is surrounded by EXCELLENT Oakland neighborhoods on ALL SIDES.

Crocker Highlands, Glenview, Oakmore, Montclair, Rockridge, Lakeshore, Grand Lake and Piedmont Avenue are all great areas to live in-period.
I love the advice about "dressing down....don't be flashy." Um I don't think it is a problem. I saw a woman with a real Hermes Kelly bag at Whole Foods Oakland. (FYI the going rate for a "cheap" used one is $12K). I wanted to jack her for her purse. Besides the fact that would cover one year's worth of rent, that's on my lottery wish list. Clearly she wasn't too concerned about walking around with an expensive purse in Oakland.

To the OP, do you wanna live in the burbs or the city. That's the main question.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 AM

334 posts, read 1,066,796 times
We considered Orinda, Lafayette, Alamo, Rockridge and Piedmont. Ultimately we ended up in Tiburon, just moved here a month ago, and for the first time since relocating to the bay area, I'm happy and at peace. (We lived in SF and Walnut Creek for 3 years after a career relocation from LA)

I absolutely love Tiburon. It is so gorgeous, clean air, clean streets, super close to SF by car or ferry, right next to the water, tons of recreational options, gorgeous parks, little beaches, family friendly, fantastic schools, very safe w/ only 2 entrances and exits w/ cameras installed in both locations which film every car entering and exiting the area. I finally feel somewhat safe living here.

People are also way more social and friendly here then the east bay. I've only been here for 1 month, and already have a full social calendar...though I did get the ball rolling starting this summer after deciding to seriously move to Marin. It took me 2 years to meet 1 friend in Walnut Creek. I met a couple people in SF, but we were only there a short time and I was pregnant for most of it. I just really hated the weather in SF. It doesn't feel like California.

Here's my final word of advice...with all things being equal, don't buy the house, buy the location. I know it takes a lot of work, trial on error, but it is so worth it in the end if you find a place you are comfortable to call home.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love the advice about "dressing down....don't be flashy." Um I don't think it is a problem. I saw a woman with a real Hermes Kelly bag at Whole Foods Oakland. (FYI the going rate for a "cheap" used one is $12K). I wanted to jack her for her purse. Besides the fact that would cover one year's worth of rent, that's on my lottery wish list. Clearly she wasn't too concerned about walking around with an expensive purse in Oakland.
So true...its not uncommon at all the see people flaunting their wealth or affluence in Oakland.

Quote:
To the OP, do you wanna live in the burbs or the city. That's the main question.
This is basically the question at hand.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 AM

128 posts, read 141,453 times
I know Piedmonters who have had their cars stolen from their driveways. The surrounding neighborhoods are not that nice. Yes, Orinda is remote. Too remote. That is why I dislike the East Bay in general. No place is really good there. But that's another conversation. I just wanted to share the car theft story, if it helps you make a decision.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
People are also way more social and friendly here then the east bay. I've only been here for 1 month, and already have a full social calendar...though I did get the ball rolling starting this summer after deciding to seriously move to Marin. It took me 2 years to meet 1 friend in Walnut Creek. I met a couple people in SF, but we were only there a short time and I was pregnant for most of it.
Well I understand the importance of a social calendar, but the schools in Piedmont and Orinda far outclass the schools in Marin.

Furthermore, the East Bay and South Bay have more good schools on average than anywhere else in the entire State, at least as far as test scores are concerned.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
We considered Orinda, Lafayette, Alamo, Rockridge and Piedmont. Ultimately we ended up in Tiburon, just moved here a month ago, and for the first time since relocating to the bay area, I'm happy and at peace. (We lived in SF and Walnut Creek for 3 years after a career relocation from LA)

I absolutely love Tiburon. It is so gorgeous, clean air, clean streets, super close to SF by car or ferry, right next to the water, tons of recreational options, gorgeous parks, little beaches, family friendly, fantastic schools, very safe w/ only 2 entrances and exits w/ cameras installed in both locations which film every car entering and exiting the area. I finally feel somewhat safe living here.

People are also way more social and friendly here then the east bay. I've only been here for 1 month, and already have a full social calendar...though I did get the ball rolling starting this summer after deciding to seriously move to Marin. It took me 2 years to meet 1 friend in Walnut Creek. I met a couple people in SF, but we were only there a short time and I was pregnant for most of it. I just really hated the weather in SF. It doesn't feel like California.

Here's my final word of advice...with all things being equal, don't buy the house, buy the location. I know it takes a lot of work, trial on error, but it is so worth it in the end if you find a place you are comfortable to call home.
Nobody's even talking or asking about Tiburon.

On a side note, glad you're finally in your element in a place such as Tiburon, but just because you couldn't make friends in lowly, dirty and mean Walnut Creek doesn't make it a horrible place, just obviously not up to your superior standards.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,489 times
Piedmont is much more central in the Bay Area, with access to multiple freeways, and is also closer to the airports (San Francisco and Oakland), if like me, you fly for work at least once a week. And the climate is much more moderate (not as cold or hot). Great access to many restaurants and neighborhood centers (Montclair Village, Park Boulevard, Piedmont Boulevard). It's also much more diverse.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:14 AM

26 posts, read 114,838 times
My family relocated from Southern CA last year and we wanted to land in a community with great schools for our daughter who was about to enter Pre-K. We decided to find a rental in Lamorinda until we were ready to buy a house. My best friend & his family own a house in Orinda and it is a great place to live and raise kids. Unlike Moraga (where I currently live but we're about to move into our house), Orinda has easy access to the 24 making it a decent commute into Oakland. IMO Oakland is often too cold in the Summer. Lamorinda is a happy medium in between the mild temperatures in Oakland and the extreme heat experienced farther east in Walnut Creek and Concord.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Also, tunnel/no tunnel commute. Both towns are excellent - you cannot go wrong. As a commute-hater I'd probably go Piedmont, but would be happy in either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland