Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 PM

28 posts, read 103,144 times

Advertisements

I understand. Sounds like the NYC dilemma. When you open your fridge, and it blocks the shower, where can you put an extra appliance? And yeah, I always had a sink-connected washer when I rented, and I talked a ton of landlords into it with my fast talk, and sneaked it in otherwise, but in a bigger city, it's hard to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Also no one here is aware of the concept of having washer/dryer in apartments. It simply does not exist regardless of how much you pay.
We looked only at places with W/D in unit. We looked at a bunch (>15) of places that had washers and dryers. Our place has full sized units.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM

263 posts, read 529,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
SF monthly rents are a bit lower then Manhattan, also we don't have broker's fee.

My 2nd floor walkup 1 bdrm apt (quite large by SF standard, probably around 700 sq ft) on Telegraph Hill, no laundry facility in the building (drag it down three blocks to the laundromat, or 1 block to the full service laundry). Roof top terrace with 180 view of SF bay. $1600
My brother's (smaller) 4th floor walkup 1 bdrm apt in Hell's Kitchen, crappy laundry facility (it takes him 3 hrs to do laundry) in building. Tiny bathroom. $1650 (His old 1st floor studio apt in Murray Hill was $1550, and it was a cave..no natural light at ALL).
A 700 square foot place on Telegraph Hill is worth far more than $1600. You either got a great deal or have been living there for years. That would easily fetch $2000 today.

SF is far more expensive than any American city outside of New York. Manhattan is slightly more expensive, and SF is more expensive than the other boroughs (except for very desirable parts of Brooklyn, which are about the same as SF). A 1BR in a reasonable neighborhood will run you $1600-$2000.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
A 700 square foot place on Telegraph Hill is worth far more than $1600. You either got a great deal or have been living there for years. That would easily fetch $2000 today.
I moved in just this past March, I think I got a pretty good deal...especially with the location & size. It's on the north side, nearing the bottom of the hill, but still pretty quiet, just off the tourist path. The roof top deck has amazing views. But it's a pretty basic apartment, with the standard cheap generic sturdy rental appliances & cabinets. Negatives ... tiny kitchen, thin walls & ceilings (not so quiet neighbors), no laundry or dishwasher, street parking is hard (though I don't have a car...so it's my friends that complain). Definitely not worth $2000...similar size place, but much nicer apartment 4th floor walkup with a view a few doors down went for $1900 ish.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM

263 posts, read 529,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
I moved in just this past March, I think I got a pretty good deal...especially with the location & size. It's on the north side, nearing the bottom of the hill, but still pretty quiet, just off the tourist path. The roof top deck has amazing views. But it's a pretty basic apartment, with the standard cheap generic sturdy rental appliances & cabinets. Negatives ... tiny kitchen, thin walls & ceilings (not so quiet neighbors), no laundry or dishwasher, street parking is hard (though I don't have a car...so it's my friends that complain). Definitely not worth $2000...similar size place, but much nicer apartment 4th floor walkup with a view a few doors down went for $1900 ish.
Maybe I'm over-valuing Telegraph Hill. Either way, sounds like a great deal. 700 square feet for $1600 is no easy feat. Congrats!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Maybe I'm over-valuing Telegraph Hill. Either way, sounds like a great deal. 700 square feet for $1600 is no easy feat. Congrats!
I'm renting 1200 square feet for $1200.. in San Jose though.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm renting 1200 square feet for $1200.. in San Jose though.
I have my 650 sq feet condo in North SJ rented out for that price. Oh how I miss living in a place that I own! And really miss the dishwasher & W/D, quiet neighbors, big kitchen, tons of storage space, kick ass pho joint & donut place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland