Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

Hello my we are moving to California (husband and 2 year old daughter) for my husbands' job. He'll be working from home and traveling around the Bay Area, so we'd like to live somewhere central, like Concord.

Ideally, we'd like to move into an apartment in a safe city that's also kid-friendly (i.e. parks, good schools for the future). Concord came up as a possibility so we'd like to know your thoughts.

We found an apartment on Monument Blvd, 2 blocks from the Bart Station. I realize all cities have their bad and good spots, but I really just want your honest opinion. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 PM

75 posts, read 257,649 times
You do not want to live on Monument Blvd. I would suggest you check out Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek before considering Concord, depending on your budget. There are many posts regarding the pros and cons of these cities. If you can afford Walnut Creek, you will find a very kid friendly city that is safe and clean.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
As a resident I can tell you that Concord isn't very central to the Bay Area, the weather isn't very good, the schools aren't very good, and the parks are so so. Monument/Four Corners is predominately a Hispanic/immigrant area. Can't comment on the crime rate in that area but I recently heard from a resident that since the locals tend to get paid weekly in that area that they bring out hookers from Pittsburg/Antioch every Friday.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,843 times
Concord is about as far from 'central' as you can get around here.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM

127 posts, read 435,586 times
Concord schools are also not very good at all--if that is what you are interested in. Monument is sort of a rough area--not terrible (there is a Costco on Monument and I feel fine going to it, but I wouldn't want to live there) but nothing great.

I hope you plan to take a trip out to look around the area before you commit to renting. I agree with the suggestion of Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek. The schools are much better there, and there are some nice apartment areas as well.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Try Dublin instead. Much more central. It has easy access to most of the main corridors and is 30 miles or less from all major Bay Area cities. The challenge with Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill is the only way west is 24, and 24 is packed ll the time.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
I know this area really, having grown up in Walnut Creek and been all over Concord. When you said "Monument Blvd," everbody freaked, because Monument Blvd is a largely poor, Hispanic area with some crime and gang activity. However, if you're right by the BART station, Legacy Park Central is a really nice luxury community that was built only a few years ago and isn't cheap. That close to BART is quite convenient for commuting, and it's not as unsafe. You can walk to Todos Santos Plaza for restaurants and movies, and it's very family oriented. However, you would be pretty confined to that very close perimeter; start walking farther away from there, and it starts getting a little dicey. So basically, I'm saying you would be living in a decent little pocket in the middle of a not-so-good area. And do consider schools; downtown Concord schools are not the best.

Now there are much better parts of Concord that are quite suburban and safe, and have better schools. Crystyl Ranch has newer luxury homes in the hills, and the Crossings and Lime Ridge have older tract homes in a great part of the school district. Those latter two neighborhoods often have homes for rent for about the same as a new luxury apartment. I would check those out. You would also be shopping at nicer shopping centers and border Walnut Creek. So Concord CAN be totally decent.

Concord does offer quite a lot for families in terms of parks, the big waterslide park, tons of shopping and dining options (mostly chain restaurants, but fun ones), and it's not too far from Six Flags in Vallejo.

Someone else mentioned location though. I agree -- it's not at all central. It's central on a north-south axis, but it's so far east that it takes a long time to get to San Francisco, Silicon Valley, or marin. Someone also mentioned the weather was bad, but I think that's a matter of perspective. Concord usually battles Livermore for the honors of the hottest city in the Bay Area, so yes, it's often very hot in summer, but I still far prefer the hot weather to the cool, foggy weather along the waterfront of the bay. At least you'll have sunshine most of the year, and consistently warm days for many months of the year, not to mention being able to walk around on summer nights in t-shirts.

I'd vote yes for weather, no for centrality, no on schools, yes on a different location in Concord, and yes on family-friendliness, safety, AND schools if you pick a different location in Concord.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:27 AM

334 posts, read 1,066,989 times
Don't move to Concord if you care about schools, safety, charm, amenities, and centrality. There are plenty of other towns w/ BART stations further west towards SF w/ much better schools, amenities, parks etc. Look into Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, and Orinda. You may also want to check out Pleasanton....but it depends on if you want to be more central to Silicon Valley or San Francisco.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,995 times
There are some parts of Concord that are very nice, but unfortunately, I don't know the exact areas. My ex-wife moved from Walnut Creek to Concord, and she seems quite happy. I believe she lives off of Ygnacio Valley Road on the WC/Concord boarder. Me personally, I'll take WC everytime, then again, I loved living in Walnut Creek, never lived in Concord.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,998 times
Default concord eastof bart

the area east of concord bart station is a wonderful neighborhood of small houses with front porches and huge yards,It is a diverse area of quiet tree lined streets white picket fences and friendly neighbors - the houses are in the 250,000 range or cheaper.it is walking distance to bart and downtown concord and there are many nearby stores and farmers markets all within walking distance! i love it here and feel blessed by all the friends i have made here and by the easy bart access to berkeley where i lived for the last 45 years.living here i have an environment and home that would cost 650,000 or more in berkeley for under$200,000.downtown concord has a peets,half price books and many excellent restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland