Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Karate as a form of self defense is incomplete. If he gets into a fight with someone armed, even with a simple kitchen knife, he would get seriously injured or killed 9 times out of 10.

You are simply uneducated on the many benefits gained through the study of martial arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,507,108 times
Wow! There's lot of anger directed at me...I can understand your frustration of living in a rather sucky city but you don't have take it out against me -

Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Wow! There's lot of anger directed at me...I can understand your frustration of living in a rather sucky city but you don't have take it out against me -
Let me chime in as somebody who has just started stalking the BA forum (to learn more about the area b/c of a potential move to California): I live in Kentucky now. I don't enough about the Bay Area to make judgments about whether it is a great or sucky place to live. What I do know, however, is that when a nest of red wasps is bothered with a stick, you'll stir up the wasps. And boy do they sting.

Texas, his/her home state, is typically a very friendly state. However, this is not an example of Texas hospitality. He/she may be a nice person otherwise, but they need to find better channels to vent their frustration or devise an exit strategy.

Carry on.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM

281 posts, read 924,047 times
Quote:
Only some online freaks claim to like SF weather. In real life, nobody does! This is Sept and supposedly its the Indian summers. The party line is that sept-oct are warm and sunny here. Well first two weeks of Sept is just as cold and foggy as July/August.

SF is unique among US cities in the sense that its probably the only place where the weather sucks all year long.
It is the only American city where the average temperature is higher in September than August.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,981,244 times
Quote:
I don't need to brag about my education and knowledge I suppose! I am sure stay at home soccer moms are the epitome of erudition and success-
Don't trash on stay at home moms- that is ignorant behavior.

In these times of needing two incomes to stay afloat, being able to stay at home to raise children is a luxury which speaks more of success rather than the lack of it. And I think stay at home moms are doing something noble. They are heroes that rightly deserve respect in our society.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Don't trash on stay at home moms- that is ignorant behavior.

In these times of needing two incomes to stay afloat, being able to stay at home to raise children is a luxury which speaks more of success rather than the lack of it. And I think stay at home moms are doing something noble. They are heroes that rightly deserve respect in our society.
Isn't it a shame that there are creatures like andy in our society who would actually bash stay at home moms? There is no better way to strengthen a family than a mother who has the luxury of being the first teacher of her children.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,201,282 times
^Your description of andy as "special" fits well, i gotta say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Karate as a form of self defense is incomplete. If he gets into a fight with someone armed, even with a simple kitchen knife, he would get seriously injured or killed 9 times out of 10.
Ahh the great sensei mr. fantastic shares his expert martial arts advice.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,106,052 times
Quote:
Only some online freaks claim to like SF weather. In real life, nobody does! This is Sept and supposedly its the Indian summers. The party line is that sept-oct are warm and sunny here. Well first two weeks of Sept is just as cold and foggy as July/August.

SF is unique among US cities in the sense that its probably the only place where the weather sucks all year long.
Actually, some of us think the SF weather is just about ideal. Perhaps you just find cities with more varied weather more to your own taste.

I'd view Dallas as too hot and humid in the summer, but others may prefer that type of summer climate.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:32 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,533,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Andy is the one (enter censored word here) that I don't have on ignore yet. He's a very special guy, I mean special in an Olympic sort of way.

Normal people do their homework before they move to a new area. I am a heat factory. It's hard for me to cool off. Therefore, I know that I shouldn't go to anyplace warmer than where I am and even SD is a bit too warm for me. All one has to do is look at weather forecast and look at weather stats to see if the climate suits them. This fool just blundered through life and has the nerve to be surprised.
All of this sounds about right. Although to be fair, I do at least see where he's coming from most of the time (unlike the poster who has houses in Marin and OC and probably conveniently a few more places in the future), and he does have somewhat of a sense of humor. Also, I have to admit that I do sympathize with him, since I was once in a similar position. I had a miserable time in college and this was 100% because I went to a location that wasn't good for me. (hint: it was in Hanover, NH) I knew I didn't like cold and the middle of nowhere, but I thought what the hell, it'll be good to get out of my comfort zone for a few years. Umm yeah...not so much. Long story short, the college discussion boards got sick of me. (But some of them still remember me years later & ask how I'm doing these days.)

Come to think of it, what does he do that's making him stay in SF even though he hates it so much? Andy, what are you doing and why are you still here? Just curious.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
First things first: SF Detractors belong here: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...francisco.html

Open-minded, Free-Thinking Culture: be a freak, be a square, be a hippy, be a hipster, be a douchebag. Whatever. It's SF. It's cool.

Weather: refreshingly foggy and cool in the summer, moderately cold in the winter; moderate weather which is pleasant year-round
I don't find it open minded. If you're moderate or conservative in your viewpoints, a lot of people in SF will shun you. Many in SF & the Bay Area make very blatantly prejudiced & nasty statements about anyone who doesn't think like them.

The weather in SF is better than most places in the US, but I prefer almost anywhere else in the Bay Area for weather. In SF, it struggles to hit 70 consistently, even in summer. That's refreshing if you're coming from 85 or 90 degree weather in San Jose....for a day or two.....then it's just annoying.

The rest of your points, I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland