Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM

77 posts, read 213,047 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Coast Guard and we're currently trying to decide between duty stations - Alameda is one of our top picks so I'm trying to do some research before we find out where the CG sends us.

1. What is the weather like? We are currently stationed in Seattle (I did see the San Fran/Seattle debate) but my husband says the climate in Alameda is quite a bit different from the San Francisco climate. What are the seasons like? Do you get much of a change in seasons? It looks as if it's quite a bit sunnier, is that true?

2. What about schools? I have 2 girls who will be 4-1/2 and 3-1/2 when we move there so Kindergarten through 2nd/3rd grades are what I'm looking at, anyone know where the good school districts are?

3. What about commuting to and from the base on Alameda and commuting to/from the base at the Bay Bridge? We've looked at homes in Alameda, San Leandro, Dublin, Berkeley...there are sure a lot of areas around there. What direction would be good for normal work day commutes in and out of Alameda or the Bay Bridge? We'd like to stay around $2300/mo for a 3 bedroom apt/townhouse in a decent area w/decent schools - is that reasonable or should we reassess?

4. I'll be applying to grad school at either Cal State Hayward or U of San Francisco so that commute will also factor in, is that commute usually ok as long as it isn't during peak hours?

5. I'd like to substitute teach while we're there, does anyone know anything about subbing in the area, like is there a big need for subs, is it best to wait and apply after I'm already living there...any info. above what's available on the Dept. of Ed website would be great

6. How is the cost of living in Alameda? Our other option is Hawaii so we're comparing the two - are they comparable as far as housing/gas/utilities are concerned? I keep finding posts saying San Francisco is just as expensive as Hawaii but no references to the outlying areas so is it pretty much the same? We'd actually save on groceries/general shopping in Hawaii due to commissary availability there.

7. What is the culture like? We enjoy the laid back/wear-what-you-want lifestyle here in the Seattle area and loved the relaxed San Diego attitude as well - what's it like in the Alameda area?

8. Are there any sand beaches to take the kids to in the area or within reasonable driving distance? I know the water is still quite chilly there, does anyone know if it's more swimmable than Seattle area water? I read somewhere that there's easy access to hiking/biking/nature activities - is this widespread or just in San Francisco?

9. Is the public transportation system pretty easy to use when having to pack little ones around?

I know this is a lot...I'll be grateful for whatever I can get. While Hawaii would be nice, I tend to think of it more of a vacation destination in the late spring when we want to get away from the rain and cold so I'm thinking Alameda would probably be more our style (we love our seasons and like to be able to drive to visit family in UT and MT). Thanks to anyone who can shed some light

Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I can't answer all your questions and I've never lived in Alameda (I know a few people here have, hopefully they will answer) but I'll take a stab at a few points.

- climate: The area around Alameda/Oakland/Berkeley is sunnier than San Francisco but it's not a lot warmer, maybe a difference of 5 to 10 degrees in summer. I was in Alameda this Saturday and went to the beach and you could see a giant fog bank sitting over SF, while Alameda was very sunny. It was windy and a bit chilly at the beach, but when you went a couple blocks inland it was warmer and less windy.

- beach: yes there's a beach in Alameda, all along its southern shore. Someone here said it has warmer water than almost anywhere else in the Bay Area, but I'm not sure how non-toxic the Bay's water is, hopefully it's safe, though if it wasn't they wouldn't leave the beach open.

- cost: SF and a few other places in the Bay Area like Marin and Cupertino are the most expensive places in the Bay Area. Most other suburban areas are cheaper though not by a lot. Alameda should be cheaper than SF.

- teaching: schools here are short on money and laying off teachers all the time so getting a sub job might be hard but you never know.

- transit: the AC transit buses and BART are pretty easy to use, the ferry to SF should be too. But if you lived in Alameda you'd probably want a car, it is fairly suburban and having a car would really help with getting groceries and getting out of the city. AC Transit has ok coverage but doesn't seem to run very frequently.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM

22 posts, read 68,199 times
I'm in the Coast Guard as well and have been stationed in the bay area since '01.
-The weather in Alameda is generally 60's-70's during the summer with a few days into the 80's-90's, and 50's-60's in the winter. If you're looking for warmer weather in the summertime then you might want to look at cities like Dublin, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Castro Valley, and Walnut Creek.

-Alameda schools are ok, but not the ones near housing, try to avoid Alameda housing at all costs if you are concerned about schools. I live in the Dublin housing which is the nicest military housing I've ever seen and the schools in Dublin are very good. Castro Valley and Pleasanton have very good school districts and like Dublin are around 25 minute commute to Coast Guard Island. The best school districts are in Orinda, Moraga, and Lafayette, and Danville but these towns are a little pricier, but still within a 30 minute commute from the Alameda base.

-As far as commuting, the cities you've listed are all within a reasonable commuting distance for both locations. My only recommendation to you is to take San Leandro out of consideration. Not a nice town and terrible schools.

-If you like Seattle and San Diego, I think that you will like the bay area as well.

-There is a beach in Alameda but it is on the bay, the best beaches in the area are Santa Cruz and Capitola which are about 80 miles away. Pacifica is about 25 miles away but I've never gone to the beach there.

-Cost of living is high in the bay area, but the Coast Guard does give us extra money for that. You just have to learn where to shop and you can definitely save a lot of money.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 10,177 times
I'm considering moving to Alameda and buying a small condo or beach cottage. I've heard some recent stories about crime in Alameda in the paper and am concerned. Is crime an issue in Alameda? Is it due to proximity to bad areas of Oakland, or is there an actual gang presence in Alameda itself? (Eek!)

Also, this may sound a little silly, but I'm concerned about water levels rising over the next 40 years and flooding Alameda due to global warming. I wouldn't care so much about this if I were renting, but as a potential buyer it's a concern. I've read reports by credible scientists that this may happen. Would love to hear from Alameda homeowners if they've heard more about this.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:26 PM

136 posts, read 481,191 times
Short verson is the buses are unsafe You will be asulted ....with little ones you got to be kidding
the schools suck over 50% come from oakand do not buy here now the city an police are covering up crime here Mainly city hall ...the police can catch you if city hall will let them do your job This place is changing faster than you can say fastercome here but do your research do not listen to the poster's here If you husband is C.G stay at C.G housing Like minded people

If you can drive a little an care about your kids I would look at Dublin.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara1214 View Post
I'm considering moving to Alameda and buying a small condo or beach cottage. I've heard some recent stories about crime in Alameda in the paper and am concerned. Is crime an issue in Alameda? Is it due to proximity to bad areas of Oakland, or is there an actual gang presence in Alameda itself? (Eek!)

Also, this may sound a little silly, but I'm concerned about water levels rising over the next 40 years and flooding Alameda due to global warming. I wouldn't care so much about this if I were renting, but as a potential buyer it's a concern. I've read reports by credible scientists that this may happen. Would love to hear from Alameda homeowners if they've heard more about this.

There are want to be gangs here that will rob your house in the day. over by the base they buliding A super boys club that will have 2000 kids from Oakland hanging out meeting up with other kids to cause troulbe

don't worry about water

Oh yea housing prices are falling big time I say 100k less than now in one yr from now

Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
do not listen to the poster's here
ya don't say?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 AM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
I'm sorry to see that 2 of the 6 replies to your post are completely useless to you. Well, make that 3 of 7 if you count mine

Old 11-25-2010, 08:23 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
If you have a chance to work and live in Alameda, then go with Alameda! Why bother with somewhere like Dublin? My husband lived there for awhile, and they'd always drive INTO Alameda for fun. Alameda is a great place for kids, the schools are good, it's very safe in most areas, it's compact enough that you can get most of what you need on the island, and get around by walking or bus. Alameda is quite a bit cheaper than much of San Francisco. We lived in SF with our young son (which we also loved) and considered Alameda when we were thinking of trying to buy. We also checked out a few rentals, and could get considerably more for our money on Alameda. I love Alameda, and if we move back to the Bay Area we'll give it serious consideration.

I've heard things about the water, too, although don't know if it's a serious threat.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you have a chance to work and live in Alameda, then go with Alameda! Why bother with somewhere like Dublin? My husband lived there for awhile, and they'd always drive INTO Alameda for fun. Alameda is a great place for kids, the schools are good, it's very safe in most areas, it's compact enough that you can get most of what you need on the island, and get around by walking or bus. Alameda is quite a bit cheaper than much of San Francisco. We lived in SF with our young son (which we also loved) and considered Alameda when we were thinking of trying to buy. We also checked out a few rentals, and could get considerably more for our money on Alameda. I love Alameda, and if we move back to the Bay Area we'll give it serious consideration.

I've heard things about the water, too, although don't know if it's a serious threat.
Not sure the last time you were here but thing changed. With crime in Oakland an the housing crash . The rent in Alameda an Oakland are close to the same. the schools are living on old reputaion.

They are flooding Alameda with low income housing.

Drive buy the bus stops or drive down webster st or drive down lincoln st from the base to park st then report back

blast from the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAf0GNnziYY

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rm4SazjKsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx6FRSemW3

Don't listen the people... here looks at facts.

You will never step on foot in the water on the beach an will proberly go one time mabe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland