Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times

Advertisements

I didn't say all, but if they are, that's outside of my knowledge. I said that MY gpa is a 3.5 and MY principal and MY teacher told me that I am known in the district's office due to MY high test scores. Read it again.

Although, I could show you a poster of all the students that were graduated and the colleges they went to, of the year 08-09.

I have to find out how to put it on here. Any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
That's great that you've been able to achieve a lot.

But you do know that the majority of Oakland students do not achieve so much, right?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 PM

We will find out, I have to go to the poster.

However, I do appreciate your comment alot

Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM

40 posts, read 136,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
And yet Oakland is located in the Bay Area, has the best weather, has better or more attractions and things to occupy one's self, has the big 3 sports, host major concerts, events, festivals, and parades, and has a better night life

Sacramento has better public schools? Are you implying that a public school in Sacramento is better than a public school in Oakland. I doubt if a Oakland highschool whether it be McClymonds or Skyline, is not academically competitive with a highschool in Sacramento. Don't let the overall school system statistic fool you.

If you are in high school, how can you attest to the quality of the nightlife? To me, it seems like most of your argument is based on hearsay and not actual life experience...if that's the case, based on hearsay, there is no doubt that the national opinion of Oakland would be far worse than Sacramento.

You love your hometown and will defend it to the core, which is admirable. I just don't think you qualify as the most impartial of judges.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

If you read my earlier post; but I'll restate and clarify

At night, I drive through downtown and the greater area. I see alot of people, everywhere, in and out, lined up for bars, clubs, functions, etc. These are just simple observations

The people around me, dressin to impress. If asked why, they say, going out downtown. These are just simple observations

While outside, you'll see 5-7 cars lined up down the street, collecting friends getting ready to go downtown. These are just simple observations

Now, party buses, going from neighborhood to neighborhood. These are just simple observations

And when you asked the teens, where the party or function?
In the East, in the West, in the North, Downtown
Omg, simple observations

But as I stated earlier, what i say is withdrawn from life experience, ( I refuse to be ignorant of my city) facts accumulated from years of research and memberships with dozens of organizations, and primary documents.

I might be young, but I know a hell of alot, especially about my city. And a nightscene is definitely a great scene in Oakland.

How's that Phatnom

Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
If you read my earlier post; but I'll restate and clarify

At night, I drive through downtown and the greater area. I see alot of people, everywhere, in and out, lined up for bars, clubs, functions, etc. These are just simple observations

The people around me, dressin to impress. If asked why, they say, going out downtown. These are just simple observations

While outside, you'll see 5-7 cars lined up down the street, collecting friends getting ready to go downtown. These are just simple observations

Now, party buses, going from neighborhood to neighborhood. These are just simple observations

And when you asked the teens, where the party or function?
In the East, in the West, in the North, Downtown
Omg, simple observations

But as I stated earlier, what i say is withdrawn from life experience, ( I refuse to be ignorant of my city) facts accumulated from years of research and memberships with dozens of organizations, and primary documents.

I might be young, but I know a hell of alot, especially about my city. And a nightscene is definitely a great scene in Oakland.

How's that Phatnom

Admirable, but a lot like me falling in love with my first girlfriend 20 years ago in school and stating that she was the most beautiful woman in the world...it's a lack of anything else to base it on. A teenager's view of a city's nightlife doesn't match with most adults, and I'd be willing to wager my friend that those party buses are heading to "The City", not downtown Oakland.

Let me just say this...I have traveled to many world-class cities around this great planet, and I can say without a doubt, that Oakland would not be considered as having a "great" nightlife in the grand scheme of things.

Is it better than Sac? Its debatable, it's probably more a matter of taste to be honest.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM

HMM..A teenager's view, thats an insult to my intelligence. Lets not based this on age. Intelligence CAN NOT be accurately quantified by a difference in age groups.

I did not say Oakland had the best nightlife in America, I said, Oakland has a great nightlife. Whether its on par with other cities you would like to mention is besides the point obviously. This is about Oakland vs Sacramento. And Oakland takes the win for nightlife

Oakland does a great nightlife. PLenty of things to do, soooo many people. So Phantom, I can infer that you like things that are world-class. Do me a favor. Try visiting Yoshi's, a WORLD-CLASS jazz venue located in JAck London Square.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
HMM..A teenager's view, thats an insult to my intelligence. Lets not based this on age. Intelligence CAN NOT be accurately quantified by a difference in age groups.

I did not say Oakland had the best nightlife in America, I said, Oakland has a great nightlife. Whether its on par with other cities you would like to mention is besides the point obviously. This is about Oakland vs Sacramento. And Oakland takes the win for nightlife

Oakland does a great nightlife. PLenty of things to do, soooo many people. So Phantom, I can infer that you like things that are world-class. Do me a favor. Try visiting Yoshi's, a WORLD-CLASS jazz venue located in JAck London Square.

That's not at all an insult to your intelligence. I'm addressing your proper lack of experience, which CAN be quantified by age. I highly doubt that you have experienced Sacramento's nightlife at all, which has grown by leaps and bounds in the last decade, even enough to slightly compare the two, and you have already admitted that because of your age you have not truly experienced Oakland's either.

I'm sorry, but driving by some crowded bars and nightclubs on a Friday night does not give you enough information to judge the two. I have been to both cities, have experienced both and can tell you that they are two different entities, neither having the clear advantage over the other.

Last edited by Phantom Hornet; 09-14-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 PM

I have an house in Sacramento, of which i occasionally go out to every other weekend. YOU have no idea of what I've experienced. It is common knowledge that Oakland's nightlife is vibrant, and it too has been changing over the years. If experience isnt enough, I'll base it on research and primary documents. The city of Sacramento is just boring. But I see you are trying to compromise. Two different entities, that cant be compared because of the many differences.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Stephen, you seem like a nice kid, so trust me when I say, listen to what Phantom is saying. As someone who has spent time living in cities like Manhattan, Tokyo, and London, trust me when I say that Oakland's entertainment options aren't extraordinary.

You're passionate about your city, and that's because you've lived your whole life there. But don't be like the other Oakland residents who will defend any ill and wrong with the city tooth and nail just because they can't accept criticism about where they live. Criticism is good, it helps point out weakness and incompetence, which can then be corrected. Part of the problem with Oakland is people are not focused on correcting the weaknesses (i.e - schools, crime, affordable housing), and focusing on things like JLS baseball stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland