Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times

Advertisements

When I was in San Francisco I didn't see many movie theaters. Here in Austin there is an Alamo Draft House theater, where you order from an actual menu and are served by an actual waiter/waitress. Their menu includes Pizza, Burgers and a good list of Wines and Beers.

Now that I'm moving to San Francisco.... Hopefully by the end of the Year, that's probably one theater that I definitely will miss from here in Austin.

Please tell me that San Francisco has something similar to this!!! Or if not any great theaters that show good independent films?

I ask because films are huge in my life.... as that is what I will be studying when I move there. I watch a movie at least once a week... so yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I know of a small theater that shows independent films that serves food from the restaurant next door as well as beer and wine, but it's in Livermore and it's called The Vine.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
I don't know if there is one in SF like how you described, but here are some places I know of or looked up:

Viz Cinema located in the New People building in Japantown

"Equipped with a cutting-edge HD digital projection and THX®-certified sound system, VIZ Cinema’s programming focuses on the latest and hottest films from Japan, as well as an incredible legacy of classics, favorites, documentaries and anime – making it the only venue of its kind in the United States."

NEW PEOPLE: Films 9-2010 | San Francisco's Japanese Shopping & Entertainment Center

Landmark Theaters

"It is not only one of the busiest and highest grossing Landmark Theatres, it also ranks nationally among the most successful and prestigious theatres featuring high-profile independent film and foreign language cinema."

Lumiere Theatre (http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/sanfrancisco/lumieretheatre.htm - broken link)

See also:

SF Indie Fest

San Francisco Indiefest

San Francisco International Film Festival
San Francisco Film Festival

San Francisco Film Society

San Francisco Film Society

San Francisco Film Museum
San Francisco Film Museum

Hope this is a good starting point for you.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
I don't know if there is one in SF like how you described, but there is a really interesting/unique one in Japantown called Viz Cinema in the New People building:

"Equipped with a cutting-edge HD digital projection and THX®-certified sound system, VIZ Cinema’s programming focuses on the latest and hottest films from Japan, as well as an incredible legacy of classics, favorites, documentaries and anime – making it the only venue of its kind in the United States."

NEW PEOPLE: Films 9-2010 | San Francisco's Japanese Shopping & Entertainment Center

Old 09-15-2010, 02:20 AM

^^ wow, that list is great. would be even better if they sold food too though. chips and salsa, instead of popcorn! and guiness shake!!! yummy!

but wow.... i think you've given me some very very useful websites.... more than what i asked for. thank you!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know of a small theater that shows independent films that serves food from the restaurant next door as well as beer and wine, but it's in Livermore and it's called The Vine.
I actually passed through Livermore commuting from Modesto. I'll look it up thanks!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
I like the Kabuki Theater, also located in Japantown, just a block away from the New People Building.

Sundance Cinemas : Theatre Kabuki

We like the fact that you can reserve your seats ahead of time (for the feature films) as well as order drinks that you can take into the showing.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
There's some sort of sit down and eat movie theater in the Mission on Valencia but I've never been there, it looked expensive the one time I looked it up. Not sure if it's still open though.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM

297 posts, read 766,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
There's some sort of sit down and eat movie theater in the Mission on Valencia but I've never been there, it looked expensive the one time I looked it up. Not sure if it's still open though.
That's Foreign Cinema, as far as i know its still open.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
The former Speakeasy, now Rialto Theaters, in El Cerrito serves food and beer:

Rialto Cinemas™ Cerrito
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland