Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,574,754 times

Advertisements

I think having more options for fresh produce in underserved areas like West Oakland or areas of DEO would be a great idea. Lack of healthy food availability is a key factor in obesity. I'm not Walmart's biggest fan in general, but in this case I think they may be the only ones in a position to move in quickly & scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I like to live a little dangerously.
Not surprising considering you live in Oakland.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM

358 posts, read 1,035,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Great for catching a stomach virus.
Any data that supports the claim that you are more likely to catch a stomach virus from food bought at a taco truck than from food purchased at a chain (or even independent) restaurant? Or is this an opinion based on your own (less than) scientific research?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM

358 posts, read 1,035,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I think having more options for fresh produce in underserved areas like West Oakland or areas of DEO would be a great idea. Lack of healthy food availability is a key factor in obesity. I'm not Walmart's biggest fan in general, but in this case I think they may be the only ones in a position to move in quickly & scale.
I would generally agree. Unfortunately, Walmart tends to KILL competition, not encourage it. Which means the area will not likely see additional development following the opening of a Walmart store, which is what the residents need.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
I would generally agree. Unfortunately, Walmart tends to KILL competition, not encourage it. Which means the area will not likely see additional development following the opening of a Walmart store, which is what the residents need.
Not sure if that is true. There is quite a bit of development near the current Walmart in Oakland. And indie stores are still doing well all over town. People adapt. This only happens in towns with 1 choice for everything, Oakland hasn't reached saturation yet for retail for it to be a problem anytime soon.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
Any data that supports the claim that you are more likely to catch a stomach virus from food bought at a taco truck than from food purchased at a chain (or even independent) restaurant?
Why yes, yes there is.

Quote:
The number of permit suspensions do not reflect a pretty picture for catering trucks and street vendors. Permit suspension, for all types of food facilities, means an automatic closure and is almost always due to the presence of a high risk violation, such as severe temperature abuse, vermin etc., or operating without a valid public health permit.
For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2008, Los Angeles County Environmental Health Vehicle Inspection Program conducted 9,615 routine inspections of catering trucks and street vendors. The number of permit suspensions for this time period was 2,636 (the majority of which were catering trucks). The closure rate is 27%, meaning for every four inspections, one will result in a closure. This does not include illegal or unpermitted trucks and carts, which are almost ubiquitous in Los Angeles County and are closed immediately when found.

To compare with restaurants: Los Angeles County Environmental Health Food Inspection Program conducted 46,978 routine inspections of restaurants for the same period. The number of suspended permits was 1,072. A closure rate of 2.3%.

The conclusion one has to make is that catering trucks, and other vehicles, carts etc., are more likely to be operating with a severe or high risk health code violation (resulting in the suspension and closure) than a restaurant. This translates into a greater risk of food poisoning or food-borne illness. Since most people do not report their food borne illness (this seems to especially apply to those that patronize trucks and carts), it is difficult to get a percentage of food borne illnesses directly related or attributed to trucks and carts. But based on what we know are the main causes and sources of food poisoning or food borne illness, one has to conclude that the risk of contracting such an illness is much higher from eating prepared foods off a catering truck than a restaurant.

Inherent Dangers of Catering Trucks & Street Vendors -- Why They Pose a High Risk of Food Poisoning

Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 AM

179 posts, read 411,479 times
I would definitely welcome a walmart here in west Oakland. A good location would be near the corner of Adalean and Seventh street. (Where all I see are run down industrial bldgs.) Would be an excellent location. And being unused industrial. Would not displace residential land. Yet be within walking distance of several large apt complexes. The biggist issue I see. Is that so many of these smaller indi stores. Just charge too much! For too small a selection. And if it drives green vally foods along with some of the other small liqueur stores out of business. It be a godsend!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,002,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Not surprising considering you live in Oakland.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,002,541 times
Hmm. You're right. I didn't even notice that. This thread is back from the dead.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM

197 posts, read 666,415 times
Back from the dead but not much has changed. Oakland's leadership is horrible and has been horrible for a long time. Remeber TGIF in Jack London Square. That place looked like it did a good business but then the port/city gave some sweetheart deal to a developer who kicked out all of the mid end chain restaurants like TGIF. Apparently the developer sold some pipe dream about changing it to a luxury destination which has never materialized. There's money to be made in Oakland but Oakland is in no position to thumb its nose at chain stores or other low/mid end businesses that bring in a lot of revenue through volume. Some sort of redevelopment could be done in West Oakland but it would have to be on a big enough scale to make an impact and in order to do that they would have to be willing to accept a big box store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland