Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,320 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Fresno, CA to Walnut Creek, CA. I was originally looking in Berkeley, but decided I couldn't get much sq footage for the price. I also like the idea of a safer city. So, this weekend the hunt is on for Walnut Creek / Pleasant Hill.

Based on a $1200, min 600 sq ft limit, and online reviews... I've narrowed it down to these 9 locations. I am hoping a local can tell me if any of these complexes or neighborhoods should be avoided.

I'm looking for safety first. I don't mind driving to shops, being near a bart might be nice though. If you know of another complex, please recommend them.

In no order (w/ nearest cross streets):

Ygnacio Village
(Ygnacio Valley Rd & Civic Dr, Walnut Creek)

The Gate Apts
(Sunvalley Blvd & Contra Costa Blvd, Pleasant Hill)

Hillview Apts
(San Miguel Dr & S. Broadway, Walnut Creek) Just SE of Broadway Plaza

Vista Palms (hampton place)
(Boulevard Way & Saranap, Walnut Creek) by 680 and 24 merger

Alpine Court / Capri Apts
(Mt Diablo Blvd & Alpine Rd, Walnut Creek) by 680

Grayson Creek
(Chilpancingo Parkway & Contra Costa Blvd) by 680 and Sunvalley Mall

The Terrace Apts
(Gergory Ln & Contra Costa Blvd) near downtown pleasant hill

Creekside Court
(Main & Creekside, end of culdesac, Walnut creek)

The Pines
(Ygnacio Valley Rd & Walnut Blvd) NE of Broadway Plaza

Thanks for your help,

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Robert, I would check out the police logs on the Contra Costa Times (cctimes.com) to see if any of those areas have safety issues. Over the years, I've always heard about a lot of car break-ins around Creekside Drive. Other than that, these are all really close together and I would just drive over there and check them all out. Some places are older than other, some are quieter, etc. but in general, downtown Walnut Creek is a very safe place all around.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,320 times
Thank You tstieber,

I drove down and looked at a few of them. It's tough dealing with apartment managers sometimes. :-) I ended up in The Pines (Walnut Dr and Ygnacio). It seemed like a nice neighborhood.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,004 times
Default moving to walnut creek ca

I would choose Grayson Creek. I work at MOVE 4 LESS a moving company in downtown Walnut Creek and have seen a lot of apartments over the years. I will say some of the prices have been coming down fast in Walnut Creek though. We are located at 1430 Arroyo Way pretty close to some of the apartments you have singled out so I have a good idea what's good. If you have any questions give me a buzz at 925-309-6197.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
One great thing about Walnut Creek, is the lack of violent crime. I believe in the history of Walnut Creek, there have been two shooting deaths, and both of those were the cops killing the bad guys. I never felt threatened or scared in WC.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times
I guess you didn't hear about that guy who was breaking into womens apartments and raping them the past couple of months iin WC. They finally caught him a week ago and he pleaded "not guilty".

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
I guess you didn't hear about that guy who was breaking into womens apartments and raping them the past couple of months iin WC. They finally caught him a week ago and he pleaded "not guilty".
He's been all over the news. Of course he pleaded "not guilty," because he doesn't feel guilty about it, ha! But really, how common is that in Walnut Creek of all places? Walnut Creek is generally extremely safe, with the only high incidents of car break-ins around Creekside Drive over the years. You could pretty much walk alone at night almost anywhere in Walnut Creek.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,138 times
Walnut Creek is not violence-free, though I wouldn't say it's anything to be worried about due to the rarity, though normal precautions are always a good idea. There was a murder-suicide a couple years ago, and at one point there was a spree involving a rapist targetting women on the jogging trails (still freaks my mother out even though it was awhile ago). Last year I was at a stoplight in WC and saw someone get out of their car, approach the car in front of them, and start beating up on the driver through the window.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,923 times
Do certainly check out The Diablo Pines. Great location.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM

33 posts, read 80,261 times
Default Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Didn't that happen on Creekside Drive?

Last edited by JoeAngelina; 11-10-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland