Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 PM

19 posts, read 53,132 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed your beautiful city with it's rolling hills, and strange streets that end and connect at strange intersections. The row houses was to biggest shock to me.

Coming from the midwest there are some duplex and town homes but in San Fransico the row house as what my cousin kept telling to call them were the norm.

Got a chance to see all the main tourist sights like:
-The Golden Gate bridge.
-China Town.
-Fisherman's warf.
-Didn't get a chance to make it to Alcatrez because the ferry
sold out.
-If you plan on doing a tour of Alcatrez do buy your ticket in
advance. We asked some locals and they didn't know because
but told us we could buy a pass on the same day.
-We tried to get tickets on a Wed, but it was sold out to Monday.
-Our flight out was on a Sat so we were bummed out.
-Saw Twin Peaks. Wouldn't never found out about it thanks to our
relatives.
-Japanese Tea Garden, small but very beautiful.
The traffic in San Fransico wasn't a bad as I thought it would be. I read some post on here about the crime, and it wasn't that bad at all. Spent some time on Mission St, and had no problems.

All in all it was worth the trip. I experienced my coldest summer in San Fransico. I got on the plane with shorts and t-shirt, and got off the plane and it it was freezing in San Fransico. It was the last week of August. That same night it went down in the low 60's.

Last edited by Rembrantx; 09-29-2010 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Oh, you just missed Indian Summer. We're going through it right now. However, you spending a cold summer in SF is appropriate to experience summer as a San Franciscan. I think SF is pretty when it's cold.

Thanks for the review!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,033 times
You didn't miss much by missing Alcatraz. It's an abandoned, decrepit prison. You walk through it. You look at the bars. You chatter your teeth because it's so cold out there. You waste a half-day to see a series of empty buildings.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
You didn't miss much by missing Alcatraz. It's an abandoned, decrepit prison. You walk through it. You look at the bars. You chatter your teeth because it's so cold out there. You waste a half-day to see a series of empty buildings.

I went a few weeks ago for the first time. I thought it was pretty neat and the audio tour was really, really good. If you couldn't go you could always go again some other time, it's fun but not worth beating yourself up over if you didn't go.

Definitely get your tickets in advance though, they sell out every day several days in advance.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrantx View Post
-If you plan on doing a tour of Alcatrez do buy your ticket in advance. We asked some locals and they didn't know because
but told us we could buy a pass on the same day.
It's a crapshoot - I've gone a couple times and just walked up to the gate and on the boat, other times it's been sold out days ahead of time. Naturally, weekends and summer/fall are the busiest times and probably the hardest to get tickets at the last minute. Our first visit was a Tuesday in November, the boat was half empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrantx View Post
I read some post on here about the crime, and it wasn't that bad at all. Spent some time on Mission St, and had no problems.
City-Data has some pretty unhappy posters who like to exaggerate, take it with a grain of salt. Like every city, there's crime here but it's not in your face 24/7. People wouldn't live here if it were mugging/robbery/murder central.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
You should be happy. You didn't get: Mugged, robbed, raped, shot, nor did you get acosted at every corner by some low life transient, panhandling. Didn't step in their urine or feces on the sidewalks too.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM

96 posts, read 309,398 times
^ You seem more delusional than those you criticize. I bet you're a real hit at parties.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times
Question- My husband is going to San Fran in November for business & I am tagging along with our 4 month old daughter. I wanted to take the movie tour & possibly Alcatraz while my husband is speaking at his confrences during the day - would it be approriate to take a baby on either one of those or should I make other plans? Thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
You could certainly take a baby if you want, the baby won't get much out of the tour though!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times
I'm sure the kid will sleep through most of it. Just want to avoid the "why the hell did she bring her kid here?" looks if it is not child friendly. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland