U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,719 posts, read 29,572,197 times
Reputation: 9265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nancy Pelosi represents the views of her constituency-that's why they voted for her.

She represents the prevailing political idealogy of San Francisco, when people pose these sorts of questions it denotes a lack of understanding of the simple fact that in this vast country, we don't all think alike-that there is in fact a deep gulf of difference of opinions on a host of very important issues.

To be honest, Im dissapointed that Nancy Pelosi didnt do MORE to reflect the views of SF.

1. Nationalized Health Care---she really DROPPED the ball on that. We need to have that ASAP and she and Reid spent all their time codifying evil right wingers who are willing to let people die cause they cant afford health care so long as EVIL insurance companies get to charge an arm and a leg. That's totally immoral!

2. She should have CUT OFF ALL Funds for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That was totally in her pervue and Im sure most Americans would have liked that.

3. She should have called for the impeachment of George W Bush and Dick Cheney. They are a pair of killers and thieves who got off scott free.

That she didnt do these 3 things really irked me.

And now it seems Obama is also groveling to these ridiculous republicans when it comes to Afghanistan and Iraq AND HEALTH CARE.

And now in a few weeks the Democrats just might reap the horrible results of their blatant inaction.
Although I don't agree with you - there is a simple reason Pelosi didn't do the things you wanted her to. She didn't have the votes. As powerful as she was, she didn't even have all the Democrats lined up with her on any of those three. There was zero chance of any Republicans, even moderate ones, supporting her on much of anything. Pelosi is as mean and spiteful as any politician in recent history.

An impeachment would have been a spectacle, but that's all. It would have done nothing useful - just like the impeachment of Clinton (a Republican driven spectacle). Congress likes to grandstand (Waxman is really good at it) - but for a change Pelosi recognized how useless going after GWB would have been.

Although I think many Americans now believe the Iraq war was a bad decision, they did not favor cutting off all funding.

Last edited by hoffdano; 10-19-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, CA
36,040 posts, read 63,904,405 times
Reputation: 20144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although I don't agree with you - there is a simple reason Pelosi didn't do the things you wanted her to. She didn't have the votes. As powerful as she was, she didn't even have all the Democrats lined up with her on any of those three. There was zero chance of any Republicans, even moderate ones, supporting her on much of anything. Pelosi is as mean and spiteful as any politician in recent history.

An impeachment would have been a spectacle, but that's all. It would have done nothing useful - just like the impeachment of Clinton. Congress likes to grandstand (Waxman is really good at it) - but for a change Pelosi recognized how useless going after GWB would have been.

Although I think many Americans now believe the Iraq war was a bad decision, they did not favor cutting off all funding.
I agree with this.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Pleasanton, CA
2,362 posts, read 5,714,519 times
Reputation: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Have you ever thought or realized how much of a minority you are in California? Republicans here are like pariahs and try to keep their political persuasions a secret for fear of losing friends. So when you ask a question why voters in San Francisco continue to elect Pelosi you are actually pointing out how different you are and out of sync with the majority of Californians.

I'm a Republican...a rational, hard-working, intelligent, respectful, considerate, open-minded one at that. I'm hardly a pariah and actually I have numerous friends and family members who are Republican and think just like me. I also have friends and family members who are Democrats and some who couldn't care less about politics. We all get along just fine.

I'm trying to figure out what makes you different from Bible-thumping conservative extremists who try to shove their agenda down peoples' throats. You're the same as them. I have every right to live in the state that I grew up in and is home to me and be able to express my beliefs, just like every other Republican or Democrat or Independent or Green Party member or anybody else that I'm leaving out! If you truly are an open-minded liberal maybe you should stop being such a hypocrite.

Different political parties bring different perspectives to the table. If more people would start listening to each other instead of trying to talk over each other, we might actually be able to accomplish good things in this state.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,651,272 times
Reputation: 29295
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm a Republican...a rational, hard-working, intelligent, respectful, considerate, open-minded one at that. I'm hardly a pariah and actually I have numerous friends and family members who are Republican and think just like me. I also have friends and family members who are Democrats and some who couldn't care less about politics. We all get along just fine.

I'm trying to figure out what makes you different from Bible-thumping conservative extremists who try to shove their agenda down peoples' throats. You're the same as them. I have every right to live in the state that I grew up in and is home to me and be able to express my beliefs, just like every other Republican or Democrat or Independent or Green Party member or anybody else that I'm leaving out! If you truly are an open-minded liberal maybe you should stop being such a hypocrite.

Different political parties bring different perspectives to the table. If more people would start listening to each other instead of trying to talk over each other, we might actually be able to accomplish good things in this state.
Well said. The polarization and partisanship are ruining this country. There's room AND NEED for more than just one point of view. Failure to acknowledge that makes an individual close-minded regardless of persuasion, and therefore part of the problem.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 12,647,463 times
Reputation: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Well, I think the majority of Californians, Hispanics, cant read english and really are socialists.
It's laughable that you a) apparently actually believe this neocon BS and b) that even though you believe that most Californians are Hispanic socialist secret Muslim types, they should vote GOP.

My theory for a while has been that a major reason most people vote Dem in California is that they're tired of the state being the whipping horse for the South-centered GOP who whine about CA being Sodom whenever they need to wind up their base. Most people who actually live in California know that people in the Bay Area aren't a bunch of satanic hippies who hate America, we're just normal people who represent modern America a lot more than the basically Mormon/Baptist view of 50's America that doesn't exist anymore. Even conservatives in the OC don't identify with the far-right BS that Republicans from the South and Rocky Mountain states espouse.

I lived in SF for 6 years and I never minded Pelosi. If anything she's pretty conservative by SF standards. I think she gets a lot of flak because she's gotten a lot of bills passed despite the GOP's attempts to stop anything being done in DC, also she's a woman and a woman is always an easier target than a man. You didn't see Dennis Hastert get nearly the same level of hate and he just phoned it in. If you want to look at a really terrible speaker of the house, look no further than Newt Gingrich.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
 
4,686 posts, read 3,217,152 times
Reputation: 2262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's laughable that you a) apparently actually believe this neocon BS and b) that even though you believe that most Californians are Hispanic socialist secret Muslim types, they should vote GOP.

My theory for a while has been that a major reason most people vote Dem in California is that they're tired of the state being the whipping horse for the South-centered GOP who whine about CA being Sodom whenever they need to wind up their base. Most people who actually live in California know that people in the Bay Area aren't a bunch of satanic hippies who hate America, we're just normal people who represent modern America a lot more than the basically Mormon/Baptist view of 50's America that doesn't exist anymore. Even conservatives in the OC don't identify with the far-right BS that Republicans from the South and Rocky Mountain states espouse.

I lived in SF for 6 years and I never minded Pelosi. If anything she's pretty conservative by SF standards. I think she gets a lot of flak because she's gotten a lot of bills passed despite the GOP's attempts to stop anything being done in DC, also she's a woman and a woman is always an easier target than a man. You didn't see Dennis Hastert get nearly the same level of hate and he just phoned it in. If you want to look at a really terrible speaker of the house, look no further than Newt Gingrich.
The problem is we have stereotypes associated with everything. And San Frans stereotype proceeds it due to the media. Look at the gay part, code pink, Pelosi, colleges stopping recruiters, the mayor and the list goes on. The media doesnt truly show what is going on. Most people that arent affected by politics arent involved in politics. Until welfare, medical, home ownership etc affect you, politics wont be a part of your life.
Pelosi represents a very very very small part of this country. The country is divided pretty equally as far as conservative and liberal goes. But, as the country matures, politics change,.
The Key point with Pelosi and all over the hill politicians, is they need to go retire, and let new ideas and people get in and run our country through the voice of the people.And the Health care was/is an abortion. No one read it, how could that be a good plan. Tort reform wasnt even in there, but there are allot of pork belly poltics and strong arm deals thrown in it as we find out day by day.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
 
312 posts, read 485,351 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The problem is we have stereotypes associated with everything. And San Frans stereotype proceeds it due to the media. Look at the gay part, code pink, Pelosi, colleges stopping recruiters, the mayor and the list goes on. The media doesnt truly show what is going on. Most people that arent affected by politics arent involved in politics. Until welfare, medical, home ownership etc affect you, politics wont be a part of your life.
Pelosi represents a very very very small part of this country. The country is divided pretty equally as far as conservative and liberal goes. But, as the country matures, politics change,.
The Key point with Pelosi and all over the hill politicians, is they need to go retire, and let new ideas and people get in and run our country through the voice of the people.And the Health care was/is an abortion. No one read it, how could that be a good plan. Tort reform wasnt even in there, but there are allot of pork belly poltics and strong arm deals thrown in it as we find out day by day.
The thing is, the stuff you're complaining about are all the things the Right wants. So what exactly is new with what you're saying? You're using talking points used by the right that continue what they've been saying since they converted from the Dixiecrat party. Just admit you hate "Libs" and want the right to control everything. It's not about new idea's, it's about the party you align with.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM
 
32 posts, read 25,971 times
Reputation: 18
Pelosi is a great leader. If Reid was half the leader she was we would have straightened alot of things out already.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,719 posts, read 29,572,197 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm a Republican...a rational, hard-working, intelligent, respectful, considerate, open-minded one at that. I'm hardly a pariah and actually I have numerous friends and family members who are Republican and think just like me. I also have friends and family members who are Democrats and some who couldn't care less about politics. We all get along just fine.

I'm trying to figure out what makes you different from Bible-thumping conservative extremists who try to shove their agenda down peoples' throats. You're the same as them. I have every right to live in the state that I grew up in and is home to me and be able to express my beliefs, just like every other Republican or Democrat or Independent or Green Party member or anybody else that I'm leaving out! If you truly are an open-minded liberal maybe you should stop being such a hypocrite.

Different political parties bring different perspectives to the table. If more people would start listening to each other instead of trying to talk over each other, we might actually be able to accomplish good things in this state.
Excellent post. We have many Democrats in Texas - and I don't ridicule them for being supposedly out of touch with the prevailing political climate in Texas. We are all well served by a healthy debate on government and policy.

Policy makers and elected officials should NEVER get too comfortable with their position in office.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
 
4,686 posts, read 3,217,152 times
Reputation: 2262
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
The thing is, the stuff you're complaining about are all the things the Right wants. So what exactly is new with what you're saying? You're using talking points used by the right that continue what they've been saying since they converted from the Dixiecrat party. Just admit you hate "Libs" and want the right to control everything. It's not about new idea's, it's about the party you align with.
What I want hasnt really been stated.
But since you asked.
I want limited government. I dont want to pay for others misfortunes, ie welfare, unemployment, health care etc to the extent they are going.
I dont want socialism, which is where liberals are going.
I want people to get off their butts and be independent and work for themselves. I dont want to pay your mortgage.
I dont want to be forced to drive a frickin prius, which is not as environmentally friendly as you think. I dont want electric vehicles, as they require more power from a plant to recharge it and the motors put off gases that are not healthy (do the research and you will be amazed)((Just fix your old ass car and you will be happy with how much less it costs to fix up and older car, as opposed to building a new one, and disposing of the old)
There are so many things that I want, that I do for myself for pride.
I paid for my house, my 4 cars, my kids education, my cats health care, my families health care, my travel, my food. I dont rely on my neighbors paycheck to pay for my life.
If my family has problems, my family and I take care of our families. If they need help on their mortgage or health etc, we help them.
I dont want the frickin' gov taking my money and paying for illegal immigrants, and or half assed people that refuse to work or take care of themselves.
Do you see my point. Stop taking my money and paying for your failures and agendas.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top