Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times

Advertisements

It's probably better to come in summer. It can rain a lot here in late autumn and most of the winter and early spring, which makes being outside damp and miserable. In summer it NEVER rains in most of the inner Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's probably better to come in summer. It can rain a lot here in late autumn and most of the winter and early spring, which makes being outside damp and miserable. In summer it NEVER rains in most of the inner Bay Area.
How rainy is it in early Spring? I remember seeing everything brown and burnt out looking in summer so I thought Northern California would look much nicer in springtime. I'm considering going there in March. I'm from the east coast, so I'm used to having some rain. If it's no worse than back home I don't mind.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM

It depends from year to year. Some years it stops raining around early March and other years it rains almost every day until May, like it did this year. The rain usually isn't all that heavy but it generally brings chilly weather so you're dealing with cold rainy weather that can go on all day long--you don't really see the short downpours you see somewhere like in the South. It does look nice when it's been raining, the hills turn bright green.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
So when it's the rainy season it's rainy and cloudy almost every day until it ends? Where I'm from it rains about a third of the days, though some rain and then clear up and a few more are cloudy but don't rain. But no month is really wetter, they're all about the same.

Also, would the hills be bright green in May or would depend on the year?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
Going to everyplace to you said in one week is impossible IMO. Stick to one area and see that for a week...I think you even need 2 weeks to really see the Bay Area. A two hour radius--like a previous poster suggested--is a great idea.

I personally prefer springtime here too...grass and hills are all green! Much prettier...especially if you are a nature lover.

Suggestions...

North Bay Area:

San Francisco: cable car, pier 39, fisherman's warf, ghirardelli square, eating Italian food in North Beach and/or take a boat cruise on the bay at night (including dinner)

Sausalito: stay on a house boat for a night or two (vrbo dotcom), kayak on the bay

Sonoma, Napa, Calistoga: stay in a cottage or studio overlooking a vineyard (vrbo dotcom), wine tour (train or limo or __ ), get a spa treatment in Calistoga--mud bath, mineral bath, massage

Mendocino: (gorgeous but a bit more of a drive...) stay in a B&B, enjoy the amazing views of the ocean and quaint small town

South Bay Area:

Moss Beach: tidepools (must catch them at certain times)

Half Moon Bay: horse back riding on the beach, cute downtown area with small shops

Santa Cruz: Boardwalk (rides/beach), Seabright Beach bonfire at night

Capitola: cute downtown area to eat, beach

Monterey: Aquarium, eating seafood at local restaurants

Driving through Carmel to see the cute Hansel and Gretel style homes

Big Sur: beautiful coastline, hiking trails, staying in a cabin at a campground

Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So when it's the rainy season it's rainy and cloudy almost every day until it ends? Where I'm from it rains about a third of the days, though some rain and then clear up and a few more are cloudy but don't rain. But no month is really wetter, they're all about the same.

Also, would the hills be bright green in May or would depend on the year?
It doesn't rain every single day in winter, and often goes a few weeks without any rain, but once it starts it can rain almost non-stop for a week at a time. Sometimes it seems like it rains for an entire month without stopping.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Muir Woods in Mill Valley is a must see in my book. It is so close to SF, but you can visit a genuine slice of the old redwood forests that are gone throughout most of the area. It is even a wonderful place to go in the rain, if the rain isn't too heavy. Amazing in the off-season, when there aren't as many people, in the summer you may need to take the shuttle from Mill Valley because parking up in the woods is in short supply. If I were going in the summer, I would go on a weekday, as early as possible in the morning. It's like a cathedral of trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland