Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 AM

14 posts, read 34,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
rusbi, I just noticed that ur from Croatia?

I've been to Dubrovnik...its so GORGEOUS! Loved it there.

If you do eventually come to SF, then welcome!
Yeah, I'm from Zagreb.

When did you go to Dubrovnik? I actually haven't been there yet... Dubrovnik is a world famous tourist destination, but the rest of the croatian coast is at least as beautiful...

You are from SF area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusbi View Post
Yeah, sorry. I might be a little ignorant, but I'm surely not a racist.
Some time ago I started thinking about coming to live in the US. As a software developer, SF looks like the best place for me... I know very little about US and even less about SF area. I would like to know more about everything... people, life, job opportunities...
OK then. That's a much better post than your original, IMHO. It gives people context about what info you are looking for. Not to put you off, but there is already a TON of info about San Francisco people, life, jobs in this forum. If you use the search forum you'll probably find a thousand threads about these topics.

San Francisco is not a large city, but in any major metropolitan area you'll find people from all over the world. I lived in Mountain View, about 30 miles south of SF. In my old neighborhood on just one block, you had some Americans (US), Chinese, Armenian, Japanese, Swiss, Mexican, plus the Vietnamese and Russians behind us on the other side of the block. I don't know if you are ethnic Croat or not, but I would think there's some community here. You'll find that most people are open to people from other countries.

San Francisco is a very expensive city. Maybe yours is also, I don't know. You can definitely find developer jobs in SF, but there are also many on the peninsula/Silicon Valley (SF to San Jose), and the rest of the area (East Bay). Quality of life is good. Weather is moderate, but can be very cold and foggy in SF at times. The rest of the area can be much warmer than SF. The ocean is about 30 min away depending on where you live in the area. There's lots more info already in the forum, so I won't repeat it here.

I strongly recommend you get a job offer before you decide to move here. I'm guessing you'd need to get an H1-B visa. If you can deal with the cost of living then it can be a great experience. It's not my favorite urban area. I prefer Chicago/New York as they just feel more "urban" to me. There are lots of advantages for living in/near San Francisco: ocean, wineries, beautiful California scenery, etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I don't think immigrants are usually considered "foreigners," since they live and work in the United States, although I understand what you're getting at. San Francisco is filled with people from all over the country and world. Many of the people I knew in SF were from other places (including other countries). Being from another country will be the least of your worries, other than for the purposes of getting a visa, that is! This is not a good time to be looking for work, and if you don't already hold a visa then you're at an even greater disadvantage.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
OK then. That's a much better post than your original, IMHO. It gives people context about what info you are looking for. Not to put you off, but there is already a TON of info about San Francisco people, life, jobs in this forum. If you use the search forum you'll probably find a thousand threads about these topics.

San Francisco is not a large city, but in any major metropolitan area you'll find people from all over the world. I lived in Mountain View, about 30 miles south of SF. In my old neighborhood on just one block, you had some Americans (US), Chinese, Armenian, Japanese, Swiss, Mexican, plus the Vietnamese and Russians behind us on the other side of the block. I don't know if you are ethnic Croat or not, but I would think there's some community here. You'll find that most people are open to people from other countries.

San Francisco is a very expensive city. Maybe yours is also, I don't know. You can definitely find developer jobs in SF, but there are also many on the peninsula/Silicon Valley (SF to San Jose), and the rest of the area (East Bay). Quality of life is good. Weather is moderate, but can be very cold and foggy in SF at times. The rest of the area can be much warmer than SF. The ocean is about 30 min away depending on where you live in the area. There's lots more info already in the forum, so I won't repeat it here.

I strongly recommend you get a job offer before you decide to move here. I'm guessing you'd need to get an H1-B visa. If you can deal with the cost of living then it can be a great experience. It's not my favorite urban area. I prefer Chicago/New York as they just feel more "urban" to me. There are lots of advantages for living in/near San Francisco: ocean, wineries, beautiful California scenery, etc.
Yeah I know that there is already a lot written, but I wanted to ask for myself, not only read other people's posts. Actually, I would like to find a friend I could talk about all the things I'm interested in.

Although I'm thinking about moving, and it seems now like a great idea, it will most likely not happen, or at least not so soon...

A did some research on getting a visa for the US and it turns out that it isn't easy to get one... The good thing is that i have pretty good chances of getting one if i would try...
I also applied for the diversity visa, and if I would get it I would be forced to use it Although the chances of getting one are pretty slim.... 2.14%

Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think immigrants are usually considered "foreigners," since they live and work in the United States, although I understand what you're getting at. San Francisco is filled with people from all over the country and world. Many of the people I knew in SF were from other places (including other countries). Being from another country will be the least of your worries, other than for the purposes of getting a visa, that is! This is not a good time to be looking for work, and if you don't already hold a visa then you're at an even greater disadvantage.
I see now that I used the wrong word. Thats probably because there are not many people from other countries where I live.

Why it isn't a good time to be looking for work? How hard would it be to find a job for a software developer with a masters degree and some work experience?
Nothing special... just a job in the field that would pay enough for a normal living...

Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Getting the visa is harder and harder these days. One of my friends had to pay for her 1st visa. We had a lots of fun brainstorming what to write on his application (a marketing person). It worked and he's been able to land new positions and be sponsored for the past 7 years.

He started on a student visa (exchange student), then tourist visa as he was job hunting.

You might have better luck to come as a student here and take summer classes at Berkeley or something so you'll be able to network to land a job.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I don't know if you are ethnic Croat or not, but I would think there's some community here.
Judging from the many Croatian flags and national team shirts present throughout Buck Shaw Stadium at the SJ Earthquakes/Tottenham Hotspur soccr match about two months ago, I'd say there's definitely a Croatian presence in the Bay Area (Spurs have three Croatian stars on their team).

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM

320 posts, read 290,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusbi View Post
Yeah, sorry. I might be a little ignorant, but I'm surely not a racist.
Some time ago I started thinking about coming to live in the US. As a software developer, SF looks like the best place for me... I know very little about US and even less about SF area. I would like to know more about everything... people, life, job opportunities...
Then I'd be looking to move to India if I were you.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Getting the visa is harder and harder these days. One of my friends had to pay for her 1st visa. We had a lots of fun brainstorming what to write on his application (a marketing person). It worked and he's been able to land new positions and be sponsored for the past 7 years.

He started on a student visa (exchange student), then tourist visa as he was job hunting.

You might have better luck to come as a student here and take summer classes at Berkeley or something so you'll be able to network to land a job.
I realize that... I finished my college this summer and started working full time. Now I regret that I didn't take that opportunity and go somewhere abroad to study while still in college.

Last edited by rusbi; 10-28-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Judging from the many Croatian flags and national team shirts present throughout Buck Shaw Stadium at the SJ Earthquakes/Tottenham Hotspur soccr match about two months ago, I'd say there's definitely a Croatian presence in the Bay Area (Spurs have three Croatian stars on their team).
That doesn't surprise me, as far as I know most Croatian emigrants are in the US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland