Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,264,112 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many supporters of this ban turn right around and complain to High Hell about micro-management at their places of employment?????

So they give toys in Happy Meals! So what? So does Wendy's! And I eat Happy Meals when I want a small portion (and give the toys away). The portions are just right for the kids, by the way. And I don't know of ANYONE who feeds their children McDonald's or Wendy's on a daily basis. It's just absurd.

I don't know what has happened to San Francisco over the decades. It gradually sinks to new lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
For one, SF isn't stopping fast food altogether, or anything like that!!!

Also, packages of Oreo cookies do not include toys.

That being said, I would love Oreo cookies to be banned or, even better, mandated to be made out of legit ingredients. But like I was saying, what the SF board is doing with happy meals is a good start. Just because you can't do everything doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can.
Of course they are not stopping fast food restaurants, but they will continue to try and control what we all eat and drink if they can. This is just the start.
What they are doing is sociolism and insulting to peoples intelligence. What right do they have to determine what my child (or in my case grandkids) eat?
By the way, I don't think I go to Micky D's twice a year, so my views have nothing to do with the restaurant, I just don't want any city council or any government controlling my life or that of my families.

Nita

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM

40,934 posts, read 49,009,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
McDonalds doesn't put toys in Happy Meals because they like the smiles on the kiddies faces.......

They put them in there because they know it makes kids want the meal, and they know that kids drive a lot of the purchasing decisions in modern families. Love it or hate it, but it's a fact that busy stressed parents often give in an buy fast food for their families. All this law is doing is trying to even the playing field a bit - remove the incentive of the toy and maybe that kid will end up eating more healthy meals.
As a full grown responsible adult over 21, let me make the decisions for my family not some politician.

I don't need another mother looking out for my families best interest. Too bad so many people feel they do need big brother invading their lives.

Let's take the toy from the Cracker jack Box and Ban any junk food advertising toward kids.

Last edited by Rakin; 11-07-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,469,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This is retarded. It wont do anything, and theyve obviously over stepped their bounds. Could McDonalds appeal this idiocracy to a high court?
Easy fix..... Lower the price of the happy meal by once cent. Then ask the buyer if they would like to add the toy for a penny more. Since the toy would not be free, it does not violate the ordinance from the nazi food police in SF.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,151,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Easy fix..... Lower the price of the happy meal by once cent. Then ask the buyer if they would like to add the toy for a penny more. Since the toy would not be free, it does not violate the ordinance from the nazi food police in SF.

what a wonderful idea!

or if someone was that desperate they could just drive a few miles out of the city to a Mcdonald's in a different locale.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM

731 posts, read 1,363,869 times
Is there any talk of banning the receiving of a free Leroy Neimann print with the purchase of a Whopper at Burger King?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,117,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
That little girl dancing breaks my heart. She could be having a lovely normal life if her parents were not so lazy and spoil her... They clearly feed her junk food/fast food way way to often.

My kids cry and beg for junk food too. But since I am THE PARENT and I know that healthy eating habits are LEARNED and start early, I have to tell them NO constantly. No, you cannot have pizza for breakfast, No, you cannot have cookies. No, you cannot have just potatoes. You know, it is so sad to say no, but being a parent means not being liked by the kids sometimes and making the tough calls. Some people do not have the brain power or scruples or education to be FIT parents.

If parents can't see that their children eat healthy (uneducated, like the southern states who deep fry EVERYTHING) and create lifetime HEALTHY eating habits, I love that a city (who will end up paying for that kids medical bills because they will qualify for some medical assistance seeing they are underage and very unhealthy and morbidly obese @6 yrs old) decided to step in and make junk food DEALERS (who are just like DRUG DEALERS) give choices that include something healthy while they bribe you with their cheap arse toy.

To corporations like Fast food companies, it is all about Branding and Brainwashing young minds for the future $$ they will spend.

Giving away toys are a minor price to pay for them, it is your LIFETIME money they want.

I am proud of SF and you idiots who do not agree can raise all the fat, stupid, children you want. Just NOT HERE.

It is not about freedom and anyone who thinks it is, is just whining for no reason.

If a parent wants to teach their 10 yr old how to smoke are they allowed to? Smoking is not illegal.. NO duh.. because it is BAD for kids, you cannot just go around doing whatever you want to your kid.

Your rights do not trump THAT CHILD'S RIGHT to stay healthy, despite stupid lazy parents.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,387,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
No, you cannot have pizza for breakfast...
Now that's cruel and nothing short of abusive. Cold, leftover pizza in the morning is the breakfast of champions!

Quote:
Some people do not have the brain power or scruples or education to be FIT parents.
So next up, the city council will outlaw stupidity, ignorance, mental illness and failure to complete at least a BA. That should help with the homeless population. In fact, over half the population of San Francisco would likely be banned, including the governing body because anyone who thinks this is a fine idea anywhere in the land of the free has a screw loose.

Quote:
I am proud of SF and you idiots who do not agree can raise all the fat, stupid, children you want. Just NOT HERE.
I managed to raise five reasonably fit, very intelligent children and did so by parenting, not by turning that responsibility over to a government body.

This attitude of yours, shared by many in Frisco, is one of the main reasons the city is a laughingstock nationwide and none but those who live there by choice take it seriously. Unfortunately, it taints people's impressions of California on the whole.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,690,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Child: "Mommie, I want the happy meal with the free toy in it"

Mom: "Sorry son, SF banned the free toy"

Child: "Oh, in that case give me the garden salad with Newman's own light
balsamic vinaigrette and a bottled water"

The BOS are idiots if they think the kids are going to choose a healthier alternative because there is no toy. It's up to the parents to stand firm and make proper choices. If they can't, than they have no business being parents.

McDonalds calculates every cost to fractions of a cent and ruthlessly shaves unnecessary expenses whever they can. If they're spending 50 cents to throw a toy in with the meal, it's because they KNOW it'll pay off in increased purchases. How much do you think it costs to crosspromote with a movie like Shrek? Commercials on tv and radio, in restaurant ads, give-aways, all that? McDonalds knows exactly how to influence kids to want their products.

Your final comment is great in theory, but in the real world undereducated, overworked, stressed and financially strapped parents often DO give in to their children and buy them fast food.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,469,346 times
Quote:
That little girl dancing breaks my heart. She could be having a lovely normal life if her parents were not so lazy and spoil her... They clearly feed her junk food/fast food way way to often.

My kids cry and beg for junk food too. But since I am THE PARENT and I know that healthy eating habits are LEARNED and start early, I have to tell them NO constantly. No, you cannot have pizza for breakfast, No, you cannot have cookies. No, you cannot have just potatoes. You know, it is so sad to say no, but being a parent means not being liked by the kids sometimes and making the tough calls. Some people do not have the brain power or scruples or education to be FIT parents.

If parents can't see that their children eat healthy (uneducated, like the southern states who deep fry EVERYTHING) and create lifetime HEALTHY eating habits, I love that a city (who will end up paying for that kids medical bills because they will qualify for some medical assistance seeing they are underage and very unhealthy and morbidly obese @6 yrs old) decided to step in and make junk food DEALERS (who are just like DRUG DEALERS) give choices that include something healthy while they bribe you with their cheap arse toy.

To corporations like Fast food companies, it is all about Branding and Brainwashing young minds for the future $$ they will spend.

Giving away toys are a minor price to pay for them, it is your LIFETIME money they want.

It is not about freedom and anyone who thinks it is, is just whining for no reason.

If a parent wants to teach their 10 yr old how to smoke are they allowed to? Smoking is not illegal.. NO duh.. because it is BAD for kids, you cannot just go around doing whatever you want to your kid.

Your rights do not trump THAT CHILD'S RIGHT to stay healthy, despite stupid lazy parents.

I refer to my post #114. Does anyone think that the kid will trade the happy meal for a healthier choice just because you take the toy out? If so, they are just as stupid as the SF BOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland