Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I have small children and think this ban is awesome!!!

YAY for getting McDonald's to stop serving crap to children AND giving them a toy in the process. They can continue to advertise to children and build expensive playgrounds that children can see from miles away. But they can't lure them in just to get a toy with a happy meal unless that meal has some type of nutrition value. What's wrong with offering children something good to eat? Why do we have to live with this institution that has created a false idea that you can actually nourish yourself with their food?

It's fine to like McDonald's, it's fine to think they have good prices, it's fine to think they are convenient, but please DON'T PRETEND McDonald's serves actual food. They sell something that looks like food and might taste like food but it is not food at all. You can't possibly nourish yourself with a meal at McDonald's.

Did you know they add chlorine and ammonia to the hamburger meat? They need to do that so you don't died from eating their bacteria infested hamburger. This is done because the cows live in feces the entire time they are in confinement. When they take the cows out to the slaughter house their bodies are covered in feces so they have to clean it up somehow...and you get a nice juicy chlorine plus ammonia burger. YUMMY!

Did you know that McDonald's food refuses to decompose? Probably because it has been preserved with so many chemicals. Just google it and you'll see how many hits you get about it.

The bottom line is: Do we really want to make things easy for McDonald's to sell this stuff to children? Do we want to help them promote this? The answer is NO. The only thing we are asking here is to not include a stupid toy with their awful kids meal! McDonald's has many choices here and one choice is to improve (GASP!) the quality of the food being served to children so they could sell it with a toy.
You needed a ban to keep your kids away? Wow, we did that on our own without taking a choice away from another. do you need the government to make other decisions on how you should raise your kids? I for one am not a fan of McDonalds but am amazed that people need a ban to keep their kids from over eating or partaking of fast food. I do like a good burger once in a while but their are so many better places to get one.

By the way, how are they selling to children? Do your kids force you to drive into the place?

I did just find this about the non decomposing burgers;

The burger that wouldn't die
There is a legend. The legend of McDonald's burgers that don't decompose. For years, it's been accepted as a disturbing fact. But a new study conducted by a curious consumer shows that it's not just meat from Mickey D's that stays oddly "fresh." The study put several different burgers of the same size (but from different places) next to each other and then left them alone. None of the burgers rotted, which led the experimenter to conclude that "there's nothing that strange about a McDonald's burger not rotting." Score one public relations point for Ronald and company.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 11-06-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

291 posts, read 954,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You needed a ban to keep your kids away? Wow, we did that on our own without taking a choice away from another. do you need the government to make other decisions on how you should raise your kids? I for one am not a fan of McDonalds but am amazed that people need a ban to keep their kids from over eating or partaking of fast food. I do like a good burger once in a while but their are so many better places to get one.

By the way, how are they selling to children? Do your kids force you to drive into the place?

I did just find this about the non decomposing burgers;

The burger that wouldn't die
There is a legend. The legend of McDonald's burgers that don't decompose. For years, it's been accepted as a disturbing fact. But a new study conducted by a curious consumer shows that it's not just meat from Mickey D's that stays oddly "fresh." The study put several different burgers of the same size (but from different places) next to each other and then left them alone. None of the burgers rotted, which led the experimenter to conclude that "there's nothing that strange about a McDonald's burger not rotting." Score one public relations point for Ronald and company.
No, you missed the point. The ban is to keep the food healthy, if they want to sell it to kids. Personally attacking me will not solve the problem. This is not about me because I can afford to buy real food but, in this country, there are a lot of kids that a happy meal is their ONLY meal (affordability vs good/real food dilemma). There's nothing wrong with wanting all the food sold to kids to be decent, toy or no toy.

Let me google that for you

Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
NONE Of you answered the question of
HOW MANY OF YOU POSTERS HAVE CHILDREN UNDER 10 YRS OLD WHO WANT A HAPPY MEAL?

No one answered, so I guess the count is 1 so far, ME.

A question for those who are truly upset that they cannot buy their imaginary children a happy meal in SF that doesn't involve apples.

ARE you all so unintelligent that you cannot order the #6, or whatever it is, that sells 6 chicken nuggets, FRIES, and a drink for your kid?
If you really want to get a fat kid you can get around this dilemma pretty easily.

This is just another BASH SF thread for being PRO ACTIVE.
I get it. Having small children makes you dependent upon the government to make you parent a certain way that's good for them.

Imaginary children, huh? Lemme see here. At last count I was the father of five, the stepfather of two, the grandfather of six and the step grandfather of three. How I managed to raise my children without the guvmint showing me how I'll never know. Didn't realize I needed it to.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,535,074 times
Good God. Some of you really need to find better things to complain about. Kudos to Taboo2, OrangeSunset, Ceece, redwoodlvr, and perhaps some others who have the right idea.

So this law says that McD's (and BK, etc) have to make kids meals relatively healthy, or else they can't market them to kids. This translates in no way as 'the government is telling you what you can and can't eat.' Sheesh. And as for it being 100% up to the parents -- well, maybe, but why make these things available in the first place when they're garbage? Seriously, much of what you get at McD's these days barely qualifies as food. They're bad for anyone but kids are especially vulnerable and impressionable and most of them probably couldn't care less about whether they get apple slices or greasy fries, as opposed to getting a toy or even a Happy Meal box. If the parents aren't responsible enough (or if they're too ignorant) to realize how bad this stuff really is for you, then what's wrong with having safeguards? It's not the kids fault. Old people eating garbage = stupid, old people feeding their kids garbage on a regular basis = reckless.

The only thing wrong with is it doesn't go far enough. But limiting the amounts of sugar/calories/fat and requiring fruits or veggies is a good start. Let's take it a step further and ban HFCS altogether (like many countries have already done) and put stricter regulations for the deep-fryer. (Seriously -- I've been behind the scenes and can tell you that most deep-fried stuff at restaurants is absolutely rancid. I would not eat anything deep-fried unless I had an appetite for cancer. A huge part of this comes from, ironically, switching to vegetable oil, which goes bad during its first use. Believe it or not, it was much less bad for you when they still used beef lard -- that stuff doesn't break down nearly as much!) Still, much applause to San Francisco (and Santa Clara Co.) for taking a step in the right direction. Hopefully everywhere else will follow.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:08 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,870,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I get it. Having small children makes you dependent upon the government to make you parent a certain way that's good for them.

Imaginary children, huh? Lemme see here. At last count I was the father of five, the stepfather of two, the grandfather of six and the step grandfather of three. How I managed to raise my children without the guvmint showing me how I'll never know. Didn't realize I needed it to.
Good post Curm. Do we need the govt controlling everything that's good or bad for us ? No as an adult I think I can make those decisions.

Why do they even let companies like McD's operate in CA ? I'd bet someday they will have a law against many foods sold at your local grocery store.

What good are Oreo cookies, packaged & marketed to kids ? Sugar cereals ? Artifical sweetners ? - Ban them all.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,361,364 times
I think SF should seriously consider banning pizza. It is very unhealthy. Many parents feed their children pizza just because it is fast and easy, and don't consider the consequences.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 PM

6,634 posts, read 9,177,661 times
This has inspired me to take a trip to McDonald's. I could use a nice Chicken McNugget value meal! Neither San Francisco nor Michelle Obama would approve of my meal, so that makes it even more satisfying!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,870,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I think SF should seriously consider banning pizza. It is very unhealthy. Many parents feed their children pizza just because it is fast and easy, and don't consider the consequences.
Just think of all the bad stuff they could ban... whole milk, pizza, taco's, white bread, ketchup, apple pie, cookies, red meat high in fat, most cereals, all soda's.

The list is endless. You guys really do need food police to patrol the food checkout isles. Maybe you should be 21 to get into the grocery store ?

Silly Govt laws, let's make everyone go purely organic vegetarians. But what about eggs ?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
No, you missed the point. The ban is to keep the food healthy, if they want to sell it to kids. Personally attacking me will not solve the problem. This is not about me because I can afford to buy real food but, in this country, there are a lot of kids that a happy meal is their ONLY meal (affordability vs good/real food dilemma). There's nothing wrong with wanting all the food sold to kids to be decent, toy or no toy.

Let me google that for you
You missed the point here. You claim that the McDonalds burger is bad because it will not rot. It turns out that others won't. You either need to make the claim for all or suspend the claim. How did I personally attack you? Produce a fact based comentary and we can talk in a meaningfull manner. Bring bogus claims to the table and I will go after those claims all day long.

All beef bought by McDonalds has to be approved by the USDA. They are the largest purchaser of beef in the United States but they don't raise the cattle. The truth is that McDonalds is buying lean beef not only in the USA but in Austalia and New Zealand. The reason for the purchase is that in those nations cattle are grass fed and the beef is leaner. About 1% of the beef comes from those nations. Currently their is a shortage of lean beef in the USA.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 11-06-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 PM

731 posts, read 1,361,364 times
The white part of the egg is healthy. The yellow is full of cholesterol. I'm not smart enough to tell you how this should be policed; and/or if it should or must be policed.

A committee may be needed for some food questions about what should and should not be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
But what about eggs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland