Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 51,748 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from NYC to the San Fran. area in a few weeks. My fiance and I just got back from looking at apartments, and we found two that we really liked and applied to. My fiance will probably be working in the city of San Francisco but I have no clue where I'd be working. I also plan on transferring to UC Berkeley (and my fiance is looking into either Berkeley or Stanford). I have a car, so my being able to get around isn't so much of an issue, but my fiance does not have a driver's license so he'd be taking public transportation to get to and from work if I cannot drive him.

The first apartment we're looking at is in Alameda, right across from the beach (Shoreline Drive). It's $1275/mo. with gas, water, and trash included. The other apartment is in San Leandro. It's $1020/mo. with no utilities included. It's on Springlake Drive, about a 20-30 mintue walk from the Bayfair BART.

When we went to the Washington Mutual by Bayfair to get the money orders for the deposit, we found out that the insane security they have there is due to a huge bank robbery they had a few years back. It's also not far from E. 14th street which seemed to degenerate pretty quickly the father down you go towards Hayward (I don't know what it looked like in the other direction). Since my fiance will probably have to walk to and from the BART station (morning and night), I'm worried about how safe he'd be. I might not always be available to drop him off and pick him up from the station.

Keep in mind, we're coming from a horrible neighborhood in NYC. We just want an affordable and SAFE place to live. I don't want my fiance being jumped or robbed on his way home from work (again). Also, we're not used to paying for water or trash where we are, so we have no clue how affordable the apartment in San Leandro is. If anyone could shed some light on our situation, that'd be appreciated. How easy is it to get from Alameda and San Leandro to San Francisco? How late do the trains/buses run? How safe are the neighborhoods in which we'd have to pass? How much is are typical water, trash, electricity, and gas bills for a one bedroom apartment and two people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM

91 posts, read 140,291 times
Default Alameda

I would pick the Alameda location. San Leandro doesn't have a good reputation, with Hayward on one side, Oaktown on the other. SL is closer to the crime action. Why don't you talk to the school and get some recommendations? It's a pretty close community.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XComsgirl View Post
I'm relocating from NYC to the San Fran. area in a few weeks. My fiance and I just got back from looking at apartments, and we found two that we really liked and applied to. My fiance will probably be working in the city of San Francisco but I have no clue where I'd be working. I also plan on transferring to UC Berkeley (and my fiance is looking into either Berkeley or Stanford). I have a car, so my being able to get around isn't so much of an issue, but my fiance does not have a driver's license so he'd be taking public transportation to get to and from work if I cannot drive him.

The first apartment we're looking at is in Alameda, right across from the beach (Shoreline Drive). It's $1275/mo. with gas, water, and trash included. The other apartment is in San Leandro. It's $1020/mo. with no utilities included. It's on Springlake Drive, about a 20-30 mintue walk from the Bayfair BART.

When we went to the Washington Mutual by Bayfair to get the money orders for the deposit, we found out that the insane security they have there is due to a huge bank robbery they had a few years back. It's also not far from E. 14th street which seemed to degenerate pretty quickly the father down you go towards Hayward (I don't know what it looked like in the other direction). Since my fiance will probably have to walk to and from the BART station (morning and night), I'm worried about how safe he'd be. I might not always be available to drop him off and pick him up from the station.

Keep in mind, we're coming from a horrible neighborhood in NYC. We just want an affordable and SAFE place to live. I don't want my fiance being jumped or robbed on his way home from work (again). Also, we're not used to paying for water or trash where we are, so we have no clue how affordable the apartment in San Leandro is. If anyone could shed some light on our situation, that'd be appreciated. How easy is it to get from Alameda and San Leandro to San Francisco? How late do the trains/buses run? How safe are the neighborhoods in which we'd have to pass? How much is are typical water, trash, electricity, and gas bills for a one bedroom apartment and two people?
I work in San Leandro -- go for Alameda. San Leandro is going downhill.

The other consideration, if I'm correct, those San Leandro apartments are right next to 238 and massive construction on that freeway -- which I bet will be going on night and day... dirt and bright lights, not to mention construction can stir up rodent problems.

Alameda you have to take a bus to the BART station but it's well served by AC transit, and very walkable...

Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 37,332 times
my friend lives in condo on shoreline drive, your fiance can walk from shoreline to santa clara ave and take bus 51 and it goes to downtown oakland to transfer to bart to SF, bart station is right where the bus stop is, though waiting for 51 in downtown oakland on the way back to alameda is kind of iffy, but they have a lot people at the bus station, as long as you dont' wander around, it should be no problem, 51 is frequent runs every 15 minutes during commute hours and bart also runs late into the night

also the same bus will take you directly to uc berkeley, it goes through chinatown, downtown oakland, and chic college ave, you pay $1.75 bus fare, compared to $2.7 if you take bart from SL to berkeley, while from alameda and SL to SF would be about the same $$

shoreline is next to the beach, i would say it's nicer neighborhood and nicer neighbors compared to san leandro, the walk to bus station is also safer compared to san leandro, i would worry a bit at night in SL between bart and the apt, but not in alameda

utility should not be too bad, my frugal friend's family of 4 pays only $30 electricity in an alameda apt, there is no gas in his apt, so i'd say the total should not be more than $100 if you have to pay everything

i would pick alameda, if you don't mind the $100 or so difference in rent after utitlities, it's a nicer, safer town, next to the beach and shoreline park, with romantic walk along shoreline drive in the evening, hiking and bicycle trail, and view of SF skyline in the backdrop, none of which your san leandro location has within walking distance

Last edited by rainbow12345; 07-08-2007 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM

Smile Thanks

Thanks for all the input..I'm feeling much better about my decision to go with Alameda

Old 07-09-2007, 01:27 PM

59 posts, read 382,181 times
Default san francisco

These are good responses, but just one small thing. Have you considered living in SF? He'll be working in the city, and there is BART from SF to Berkeley.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Default No San Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by readuntil View Post
These are good responses, but just one small thing. Have you considered living in SF? He'll be working in the city, and there is BART from SF to Berkeley.
San Francisco seemed to be far too expensive. Not only were the rents high, but I'd have to pay an insane amount for parking. Otherwise, I'd have the same "fun" I do with parking my car here, which is something I'd like to avoid.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
You'll be much better off in Alameda. Its one of the few towns in the bay Area that isn't A: Gentrified to death B: overbuilt C: Gang-infested.D: actually still retains it's old character. Don't get me wrong- buying a house there is ridiculously overpriced. But renting is a steal. In fact- I can tell you that as of now, there are TONS of places for rent there, and many stay up for rent months and months on end. So I bet you could actually talk the landlord down on the price.

It's getting a little insane as far as how much vacant rental property there is.I counted 11 places for rent in a 2 block radius the other day.Add this to the zillions of houses for sale and it almost looks like the town is packing up and moving away. So there's PLENTY to go around.The ONLY bad thing I'd say about Alameda is that the place is a little kid-crazy.Almost cult-ish. Anyone that wants to have the whole 'Nuclear Family" seems to flock to Alameda. So anytime me and my wife go ANYWHERE, the place is overrun with parents and squirmin' kids. It gets old after awhile.The place is also pretty whitewashed... so perhaps not as culturally interesting.There's a Korean part of town, and they have a kind of self-supporting community which means they seldom venture into the primarily white sections. Not that there is racial strife. That's just the way it is. That's nit-picky stuff though.But to say the least, it is extremely SAFE. I lived all over the Bay Area and have been in Alameda for several years. Shhhh.... the Bay Area's best kept secret. The rest off the BA... nahhh... you can have it.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,802 times
Default Alameda is a great town

I never lived there, but I shopped and hung out there, frequently. Plenty of nice restaurants on Park Street...

I think there is an AC transit bus that goes directly to the Transbay Terminal in SF...the O. If they still run it...haven't lived there for 6 years now.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 37,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I never lived there, but I shopped and hung out there, frequently. Plenty of nice restaurants on Park Street...

I think there is an AC transit bus that goes directly to the Transbay Terminal in SF...the O. If they still run it...haven't lived there for 6 years now.
also they revamp southshore shopping center with several new stores

yes O runs the same route as 51 on santa clara and webster st, though they run less frequent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland