Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
 
Location: ABQ
3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
In the context of what type of neighborhoods they are. I explained it here:



Thanks for reading.

Is Nob Hill high class? If so, how do you rationalize its proximity to the Tenderloin? An earlier statement you made seemed to make this impossible, but now it's OK since you've decided that Rockridge wouldn't qualify anyway because it's too suburban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Reputation: 21228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How about those views...

Many Oakland residents enjoy panoramic vistas encompassing 7 bridges, SF and Oakland Skylines and SF Residents get to look at us: D
Yes, I have yet to find views anywhere in America that are quite as stunning.

Too many people dismiss Oakland's nicer areas as 'more affordable alternatives to SF' but they fail to realize that those neighborhoods in Oakland are actually desirable for more than just home price.

SF neighborhoods are too crowded for some people, and sometimes they want trees too, and sometimes they also want a nice yard, and warmer weather and bigger homes.

Those income stats prove that people in the Oakland Hills can live pretty much anywhere they want, be it SF, or the Peninsula, or Marin, but they choose Oakland because of what IT has to offer.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-15-2010 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Is Nob Hill high class? If so, how do you rationalize its proximity to the Tenderloin? An earlier statement you made seemed to make this impossible, but now it's OK since you've decided that Rockridge wouldn't qualify anyway because it's too suburban?
You simply don't understand the difference between rural, suburban, and urban neighborhoods. Here's a page you can read to help catch you up so we can have a legitimate conversation. It even has cute, easy to understand pictures.

BrainPOP Jr. | Rural, Suburban, and Urban | Lesson Ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: ABQ
3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
You simply don't understand the difference between rural, suburban, and urban neighborhoods. Here's a page you can read to help catch you up so we can have a legitimate conversation. It even has cute, easy to understand pictures.

BrainPOP Jr. | Rural, Suburban, and Urban | Lesson Ideas
heh however typical, no, that's not the problem at all; You're off-topic.

I just want you to admit that you mis-spoke.

Nob Hill = High Class, despite the fact that it's within close proximity to a crime-ridden neighborhood, so it shouldn't have even been something to bring up in the first place. We all know the only reason you did, though, was because you were at the time referring to Rockridge, and not SF. You're so very transparent sometimes.

And before you say it again, this has nothing to do with the type of neighborhood it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Reputation: 2580
patti rhinoceros -Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
this has nothing to do with the type of neighborhood it is.
Funny because it has everything to do with precisely that. Seriously, just read the link, don't be like ssmaster, try to learn something new everyday. You'll gain self confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Reputation: 28563
I just don't get your logic Mr. Fantastic. So Nob Hill can be "high class" and next to sketchy neighborhoods because it is urban, but Rockridge can't count as a high class neighborhood because of its proximity to "sketchy" neighborhoods and it being suburban. Hmm. That's not really logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 AM
 
334 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Reputation: 236
I think you are considered high class in Oakland when you spell most of the words your tattoos correctly.

;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Reputation: 21228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I just don't get your logic Mr. Fantastic. So Nob Hill can be "high class" and next to sketchy neighborhoods because it is urban, but Rockridge can't count as a high class neighborhood because of its proximity to "sketchy" neighborhoods and it being suburban. Hmm. That's not really logical.
The people who want so much to believe that there is nothing more to Oakland than the Comptonesque image they have in their minds struggle with the reality that Oakland is not one-dimensional.

Those of us who live here are readily willing to admit that our fair city has problems-some very serious, but we know better than anyone else, that there is so much more to this city than those problems and we don't define our existence or our neighborhoods or our city by those problems.

Yesterday was the millionth time that I entertained a friend from somewhere else in the Bay Area who was incredulous that they were in Oakland because my neighborhood was way too upscale and way too visibly affluent to match the image of Oakland they already had in their minds.

It was a hoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I just don't get your logic Mr. Fantastic. So Nob Hill can be "high class" and next to sketchy neighborhoods because it is urban, but Rockridge can't count as a high class neighborhood because of its proximity to "sketchy" neighborhoods and it being suburban. Hmm. That's not really logical.
It's tough to have this conversation with you and Parti, mostly because neither of you have the educational background to really discuss this issue. Here's some reading though that might help. I suggest you read it.

BrainPOP Jr. | Rural, Suburban, and Urban | Lesson Ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top