Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
Reputation: 28563

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
It's tough to have this conversation with you and Parti, mostly because neither of you have the educational background to really discuss this issue. Here's some reading though that might help. I suggest you read it.

BrainPOP Jr. | Rural, Suburban, and Urban | Lesson Ideas
It is really unfortunate that we cannot debate with you because you can't accept the evidence of your inconsistent reasoning. With your style of debate, you to change the subject or use overly narrow definitions to "prove" your argument. That's disappointing, I expected more from a Cal grad.

Based on your logic, Forest Hill and St. Francis Wood aren't "upper class" either since they are suburban neighborhoods. *rolls eyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,914 posts, read 14,793,755 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
You simply don't understand the difference between rural, suburban, and urban neighborhoods. Here's a page you can read to help catch you up so we can have a legitimate conversation. It even has cute, easy to understand pictures.

BrainPOP Jr. | Rural, Suburban, and Urban | Lesson Ideas


Rockridge is about 10 blocks from DT and is denser than Oakland itself at 7,500/sq mi. Not calling Rockridge urban is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,261,068 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Based on your logic, Forest Hill and St. Francis Wood aren't "upper class" either since they are suburban neighborhoods. *rolls eyes*
See what I mean? You completely misread the original rational. That's why it's difficult to explain things to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 5,261,068 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Rockridge is about 10 blocks from DT and is denser than Oakland itself at 7,500/sq mi. Not calling Rockridge urban is laughable.
Yeah Rockridge is totally urban.





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,914 posts, read 14,793,755 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Yeah Rockridge is totally urban.





Yeah, it really is.


rockridge, oakland, ca - Google Maps



By that logic, Oakland is one giant suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 14,102,680 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
The original post seems too far fetched to be real and is simply made to stir up the natives.
Maybe maybe not but the OP appears to be extremely snobbish.
I doubt if the OP will be happy or safe anywhere in the U.S.A. for very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
Reputation: 28563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
See what I mean? You completely misread the original rational. That's why it's difficult to explain things to you.
The OP did not clarify his definition of "high class," so most people inferred "well-off" and not "old money." In order to prove your "intellectual superiority" you've decided the definition is exclusively old money neighborhoods, when the OP's requirement was a gated community.

So we are all incapable of discussing this topic with you because we didin't agree with your reading of the OPs question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,687 posts, read 67,696,695 times
Reputation: 21268
Density is not even a criteria that defines "high class", otherwise Atherton, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Tiburon, Belvedere, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Greenwich CT, Aspen CO and so would NOT be considered high class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: East Bay Area
1,986 posts, read 3,605,958 times
Reputation: 911
Characteristics of an Upper Class Neighborhood.

Sizeable and spacious apartments
Historic, century-old apartment complexes
Myriad large mansions
Boasting impressive cityviews, oceanviews or a parkviews
Collection of prominent luxury hotels
Primary or secondary residence for the elite, celebrities, and/or noble
Conglomeration of exclusive luxury designers
Low vacancy-rate
High-demand and expensive real estate.

Upper Class is simply people at the top of a social hierachy.
And whatever neighborhood they might live, meeting some of the standards above, is a Upper Class Neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: ABQ
3,771 posts, read 7,112,668 times
Reputation: 4898
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Density is not even a criteria that defines "high class", otherwise Atherton, Hillsborough, Los Altos Hills, Tiburon, Belvedere, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Greenwich CT, Aspen CO and so would NOT be considered high class.
Think he might get it this time? Somehow I don't think... What's so wrong with a person just admitting they were wrong and/or they mis-spoke? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top