Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

I just googled "unarmed white man shot by police"... the first thing that came up was a thread asking if this has happened before. ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What a brilliant comparison. Kudos to DaveyD. Last time he and I had a huge argument over another issue, but this is good stuff.

A Tale of Two Threats: Bay Bridge Bomber Lives, Unarmed Blackman Dies

I think the difference is that one guy was bashing a ladies head in and then RAN from the cops when questioned. The other guy sat like a slug in his car and apologized profusely when arrested and questioned by the cops.

I think the main trouble is PEOPLE RUN from the cops, it makes you look shady, dangerous, and most of all - GUILTY.

I don't think a race war between latino's and blacks need to arise over this. But learn something from it, when you know you are going to get in trouble over your actions, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

Who keeps telling people it is OK to run from cops and not expect to get shot? I know I always have expected to get shot if they saw me committing a crime and I did not cooperate. You know they can use force, why test this?

Be a man, teach your children their are consequences to their actions, and when they are BUSTED, to suck it up.

I understand he was defending himself against the woman supposedly. Fine, let the witnesses testify to the truth. It will set you free.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
This story of Derrick Jones is just all around fishy. It looks like there is some inconsistencies around whether he was facing the police when he got shot, or he was shot in the back.

I still do not think people who are running from the police need to get shot, but this guy was shot 8 times. Including 2 times when he was lying on the ground not moving. That is excessive, not matter how you look at it. And reprehensible if he was facing the police with his hands up.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Maybe his hands went to his waist to pull up his saggin assed trousers.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Maybe his hands went to his waist to pull up his saggin assed trousers.

Pants on the ground
Pants on the ground
Lookin' like a DEAD fool with your pants on the ground

With the gold in your mouth
Hat turned sideways
Pants hit the ground
Call yourself a cool cat
Lookin' like a fool
Walkin' downtown with your pants on the ground

UPDATE:
Man killed by Oakland police was holding a small scale - Inside Bay Area

OAKLAND -- The "shiny object" police officers said they saw Derrick Jones holding as he ran before he was fatally shot Monday night was an electronic scale, police said Friday.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-15-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
A cop shooting a guy in Oakland... where is the controversy again?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
OAKLAND -- The "shiny object" police officers said they saw Derrick Jones holding as he ran before he was fatally shot Monday night was an electronic scale, police said Friday.

That is sad, but he made the choice to not get caught while on parole with the pot he was also carrying. That is why he ran, but it was still HIS CHOICE to run away from the cops. Stupid move. I am white and I know enough to not run from cops right after I was bashing some ladies head in.
He was committing numerous crimes, possession, parole violation, assault and battery, I am sorry he felt going back to jail was worth his life.

We all have choices. No one made him buy pot (I voted for 19 btw), no one made him bash the lady in the head, no one made him run.

I feel very bad he was shot and killed, but I also feel they were within their rights as cops if they thought he had a weapon.

Everyone knows when they say put your hands in the air, JUST DO IT.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Man on ground. Outcome he gets shot. Man runs. Outcome he gets shot. For those who see no issue be black for 24 hours. It's been tried before and from memory the guy didn't last 24 hours. This isn't about race. It's about reality.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That is sad, but he made the choice to not get caught while on parole with the pot he was also carrying. That is why he ran, but it was still HIS CHOICE to run away from the cops. Stupid move. I am white and I know enough to not run from cops right after I was bashing some ladies head in.
He was committing numerous crimes, possession, parole violation, assault and battery, I am sorry he felt going back to jail was worth his life.

We all have choices. No one made him buy pot (I voted for 19 btw), no one made him bash the lady in the head, no one made him run.

I feel very bad he was shot and killed, but I also feel they were within their rights as cops if they thought he had a weapon.

Everyone knows when they say put your hands in the air, JUST DO IT.
You'll get no argument from me. I agree with your assertions wholeheartedly.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Man on ground. Outcome he gets shot. Man runs. Outcome he gets shot. For those who see no issue be black for 24 hours. It's been tried before and from memory the guy didn't last 24 hours. This isn't about race. It's about reality.
You're missing the biggest part of this whole thing. If you aren't a criminal none of this ever happens to you. It doesn't matter what race you are. I don't know many non-criminals getting shot by police of any race, even black since you think that makes a difference. Old saying, "live by the sword die by the sword." It's a criminals choice to live the criminal lifestyle and usually an early death is a part of that.

People should stop blaming the cops for this and blame the parolee that ran. He is the one that caused this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland