U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,700 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]I'm relocating to the Bay Area next month for work and I'd like some input on the cities just south of San Francisco. I'm moving up from San Diego and my office will be in Daly City.

I'm familiar with SF, Daly City, South City and San Bruno since I spend a couple days a month there and know my way around on BART. But when it it's difficult to really get a feel of actually living there by just passing through. I don't think I want to go any further south of Milbrae.

About me: I'm a young professional (25) that's looking for an area that's very walkable, shops, restaurants but is safe and not run-down/ghetto bc I'll be living solo. I grew up in the suburbs of San Diego you can imagine I absolutely LOVE the idea of living in an area where there is actual "life" on the streets. Ideally, it'd be my dream to live in SF but its not practical yet as I need my car to commute to work and other offices. My budget is up to $1,600 for 1bd/1ba.

Prospective places:
South San Francisco (Archstone South City is awesome!)
San Bruno - I take BART to Tanforan often but I know nothing about the city.
Milbrae - seems suburban and reminds me of San Diego but I could be wrong
Daly City (last resort- constant fog is a drag, but it is so much cheaper!)

Thoughts on the areas listed? Thanks!
[/LEFT]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 AM

34,241 posts, read 59,097,400 times
Why dont you look in the City? Youre young, the reverse commute would not be bad at all, and this would be an opportunity for you to enjoy urban living and SF is a great place to do that. I was just on craigslist and there are plenty of 1bds in many good parts of SF that might interest you.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 AM

7,688 posts, read 26,985,291 times
I lived in South City on Alida Way in a little neighborhood called Avalon Park. It was right in the SFO flightpath, but I loved that apartment. It was a great place and the mild climate did wonders for my significant other. It was just a block from El Camino Real, so the transit was very good. If I needed groceries, I walked to Smart & Final or Safeway; if I wanted to eat out or see a movie, I just had to walk a little ways over to the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno. Other than the airplanes, there was hardly any noise at all - except for ROOSTERS! There were a whole bunch of ranches along Country Club Drive and Alta Vista Way. Cracked me up.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM

297 posts, read 698,790 times
Default millbrae

I live in Millbrae and really like it. I used to live in Daly City and I've spent a lot of time on the peninsula. Of the places you listed Millbrae is in my opinion the nicest by far. Parts of SSF are ok, but a lot of it is pretty run down, it seems like a transition town and I can't tell if its transitioning for the better or the worse. I lived in Daly City in a nicer area (Hickey and Skyline blvd) and until I lived there i thought i liked fog, but I found that it does bother me when its never ending and soupy thick at ground level, which it often was. San Bruno is largely pretty run down except in the areas which just happen to be right under the flight path of airplanes, the noise would drive me crazy.

Millbrae is sort of an idyllic small town with tree lined streets, well maintained neighborhoods/houses and an active downtown. Its really convenient because of the bart/caltrain station, and if you're anywhere in the downtown area, then the station is walkable as well as numerous grocery stores, shops, restaurants, bars and there's a farmer's market every saturday morning. There is some airplane and bart noise, but since its not directly under the flight path, its not bad (and I'm super sensitive to sound).

Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,733,135 times
Check out the Archstone apartments in San Bruno and across the street from the Tanforan Mall and the BART station. Close to I-380 for easy access to 101 and I-280 freeways.

Archstone San Bruno Apartments in the Bay Area | Archstone Apartments

Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 AM

I haven't completely turned down the idea of living in the City. My options are still open but I can't seem to find an area in the city that is both safe and affordable. Recommendations? Plus, my main deterrent from living in the city is that I need to bring my car up, to commute to other offices and meetings from the South Bay up to Sacramento. Apartments with reserved parking spots are not easy to come by.

Regarding South SF and San Bruno - I also got the impression that they were pretty run-down. That's the tricky part about relocating. You really don't know the good areas from the bad, it can be just within 2 streets.

The Archstone San Bruno is actually my #1 choice right now mainly because the facilities are amazing, location is prime across the mall and BART and is in my price-range. (The Archstone SSF is $300 more for the same 1bd/1ba.) It's the area around Tanforan I'm unsure about...

I'm definitely going to look into Millbrae. Recommendations on specific areas?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM

297 posts, read 698,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhespect View Post

The Archstone San Bruno is actually my #1 choice right now mainly because the facilities are amazing, location is prime across the mall and BART and is in my price-range. (The Archstone SSF is $300 more for the same 1bd/1ba.) It's the area around Tanforan I'm unsure about...

I'm definitely going to look into Millbrae. Recommendations on specific areas?

I'm sure the Archstone is nice, its brand new and certainly a convenient location, however I believe its directly under the flight path of planes just taking off, if you're sensitive to noise this might not be a good spot.

The entire town of Millbrae is nice, with the possible exception of east of El Camino Real. The most convenient area is anywhere near the downtown (which is Broadway/El Camino Real from Millbrae Ave to about Meadow Glen. Most apartments in Millbrae are on Richmond Dr, and a lot of them are older, but in decent shape. There are also some apartments around Trousdale/Ogden ave. area and those are fine too, they are farther from downtown (however there is a shopping ctr there), but closer to the Bart/Caltrain station. There might be some condos for rent up near Hwy 280, and while the area is nice and has fantastic views, its not convenient, as its not walkable to anything.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,672,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
I'm sure the Archstone is nice, its brand new and certainly a convenient location, however I believe its directly under the flight path of planes just taking off, if you're sensitive to noise this might not be a good spot.

The entire town of Millbrae is nice, with the possible exception of east of El Camino Real. The most convenient area is anywhere near the downtown (which is Broadway/El Camino Real from Millbrae Ave to about Meadow Glen. Most apartments in Millbrae are on Richmond Dr, and a lot of them are older, but in decent shape. There are also some apartments around Trousdale/Ogden ave. area and those are fine too, they are farther from downtown (however there is a shopping ctr there), but closer to the Bart/Caltrain station. There might be some condos for rent up near Hwy 280, and while the area is nice and has fantastic views, its not convenient, as its not walkable to anything.
In Millbrae, the east side of El Camino is safe, just not as desirable as the west side due to being closer to the airport, bart, and freeways. Also The apartments around Trousdale/Ogden are in Burlingame, not Millbrae.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 AM

22 posts, read 62,605 times
A co-worker of mine moved into the SSF Archstone Apts you mentioned. Do yourself a favor, take that complex off your list. She moved out in less than 30 days. Something like five cars had been torched in their parking garage in the less than one month she was there. She hated it, there is an Archstone also in San Bruno right by the Tanforan BART if you like Archstone.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM

Torched?! Yes, I took that place off my list a while ago because it's pretty expensive. $1900 for a 1bd is not in my price range and I really don't think I need a place with that nice of amenities.

I got my budget approved by work and I am looking to spend $1,400 to $1,500. I cant seem to make up my mind on where to live! Now I'm looking at different areas in the city.

How is studio living in the city, say Noe Valley or Hayes Valley? Is it a tight squeeze? Thoughts on good affordable, safe, walkable areas? I have a car so I'd probably have to pay for a garage spot.

I need guidance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland