Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
why dont you awancer some of my question on the 1st coulpe pages.

smart mouth (land) had to make a comet about a kinda like a badge of honor an why
An I anwsered him of her
You seriously need to work on your English. I know I'm jumping in kinda late but I can barely get what you are trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am White/Mexican married to a full on Mexican who spent many years in Redwood City. I met many similarly mixed couples that reside in Oakland, never did they once indicate a problem outside of the typical stares you might get anywhere. From my own ventures into Oakland not once did I feel at all uncomfortable being lighter than my wife.

The thing about Latino guys giving White w/latinas problems is primarily BS.
I would agree. In fact, non-Latino white/Latina couples are NORMAL in both Northern and Southern California, and the same goes for Latino male/non-Latina white female.

Quote:
I witnessed more of the reverse, where White people in snobby areas are more of the culprit than a Latino in a middle or even low class area.
Speaking from personal experience, that does occasionally happen although through the years it has gotten much rarer in California.

Quote:
Finally, I would say relations are good for Hispanics/Anglos all over the BayArea. As long as you don't try and bring any type of snobbishness you'll be alright.
A good rule of thumb not only in Oakland and the Bay Area but anywhere.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA94 View Post
I was curious how relations are (generally speaking) between Latinos and white non-Latinos. Is there tension? Are neighborhoods pretty mixed in the area. I am white and my wife is Mexican American, we may be moving to the area due to work relocation. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
There will always be "tension". Humans just act like humans. Its the way it is. But generally speaking there is a lot less tension than places like ny, miami, or even LA. Its not an "in your face" type of tension, usually.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:47 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Oakland seems like mainly whites, Asians and blacks. I don't think you'll have a problem with anyone. Oakland is pretty segregated but it is diverse and people get along and people are actually polite and friendly compared with San Francisco. Some black people have tensions against everyone else but I don't really see any tensions between whites and hispanics like you might see in SF or some of the burbs where there are a lot of Hispanics, like on the Peninsula or in Hayward or whatever, where you get white people complaining about illegals and Hispanics feeling resentful.
Quote:
Oakland crime index (2009): 801.8

National average (2009): 319.2
Well, maybe not everyone gets along.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Apples and Oranges.

We all know the crime rate is high, but its not high because of strained race relations. And crime is not uniformly high across every square mile of the city.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
This neighborhood has the highest concentration of middle and upper income Hispanics in Oakland.

Jefferson Neighborhood, Oakland
Population: 4,299
Area: 0.289 square mile
Population Density: 14,858 persons per square mile

Average Household Income(2009 OnBoard LLC): $74,515

Bound by Foothill Blvd, High Street, Brookdale Avenue and 38th Avenue.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland