Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Sorry burritos were invented in Northern Mexico and are actually a variation on the types of snack food the Aztecs were making when the Spanish landed in Central Mexico.

A burrito means little donkey. Burritos are actually morphed versions of tacos. You can look up the history if you like. My relatives were making burritos in the 1930's/1940's when they were working on the Southern Pacific Railroad.
Don't know what I was on. You're right. Aztecs were making similar items
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Its OK dont beat yourself up over it.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Y'all's makin' me hungry.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
The fact that there are Mexicans from the same regions in both NorCal and SoCal, yet their food is different, would imply that no matter where you go, it's gotta be pretty Americanized, right? If it were authentic, then it would be the same, but it must be tailored to the local Gringos. Of course, with people moving around the state all the time, you'd think you could find both styles in both areas.

Personally, I have yet to have taco shop food in either San Diego or SF that I didn't think was bland and flavorless. I would like to try some of the places in the Fruitvale district of Oakland, which seems less geared towards American yuppies than the Mission District in SF. Or some of the places down in San Jose. Anyone have recommendations there? Everyone focuses on Mission taquerias, but there's gotta be much better places around the rest of the Bay Area.
not necessarily...there isn't one all encompassing style of mexican in mexico...

Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
The fact that there are Mexicans from the same regions in both NorCal and SoCal, yet their food is different, would imply that no matter where you go, it's gotta be pretty Americanized, right? If it were authentic, then it would be the same, but it must be tailored to the local Gringos.
Try the Mexican food in a place with few "local gringos" (or more appropriately, "gabachos"). A place such as... ohhh... South Fontana f'rinstance.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
I hate giant Americanized burritos with the table cloth sized tortilla filled with a pound of rice. To me a burrito should be simple - beans, meat and maybe a little queso on a regular sized flour tortilla. A few small taquerias make them like that, but my favorite isn't in San Francisco. Its a place called "Guttierez y Rico Drive Inn" in Salinas.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/FdpRw...gIPH39FuddQ4dg

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

boo on tacos and burritos as quick to go mexican food...

tamales is where its at and there are some great hole in the wall tamale places.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

ancient site of first aztec burrito with rice avocados and special green sauce

w/ authentic taste inside, ancient art discovered by UC Berkeley

my personal favorite place to get sf burritos are a few of the taco trucks as well, and el farolito

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not necessarily...there isn't one all encompassing style of mexican in mexico...

qft... some people don't realize that there's 31 states in Mexico. Others don't realize that Michoacan makes the best mexican food

Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Try the Mexican food in a place with few "local gringos" (or more appropriately, "gabachos"). A place such as... ohhh... South Fontana f'rinstance.
Is that where they fly the stars and bars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland