Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 15,636 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I got job in Emeryville, CA. could anyone please let me know which is good place to rent apartment where good elementary school with less crime. I have a 2 yrs old kid. Please let me know any Kid friendly neighborhoods.

thanks in advance,
SH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Emeryville is a really small city. Most apartments are newer compared with most of the easy bay, but there aren't many families in general. Lots of condos and lofts in town and a few blocks of single family homes. You might want to expand your choices to Berkeley and Oakland for more kid friendly neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
Default options

Second the vote that Emeryville is not family oriented and you should look in the surrounding towns instead. Oakland has notoriously horrible schools, so I wouldn't recommend that. Berkeley is a mix, and I don't know how the schools are, but in general North Berkeley and the hills in Berkeley are the nicer areas (less crime). Some good choices would be the town of Piedmont (which is completely surrounded by Oakland, so dont confuse with Piedmont Ave in Oakland), its known for being an oasis in an urban area and good schools, but will probably be very hard to find a rental. Just to the north of Berkeley is Albany and I understand it has good schools and lots of families/low crime, I believe its also relatively affordable, so this may be your best option if you want a short commute - otherwise I'd recommend any of the towns east of the Caldecott tunnel-Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette, Walnut Creek - all nice family oriented suburbs.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM

127 posts, read 435,620 times
I agree--if you can afford it, try for Lafayette, Moraga or Orinda. Family oriented, beautiful scenery, great schools, good libraries in each. Very safe and pleasant towns to live in.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I agree--if you can afford it, try for Lafayette, Moraga or Orinda. Family oriented, beautiful scenery, great schools, good libraries in each. Very safe and pleasant towns to live in.
There are good elementary schools in the inner east bay cities, commuting to Emeryville from Lamorinda (or the other side of the tunnel) would not be fun. You'd be stuck in all of the Bay Bridge traffic. I'd stick to Berkeley, Oakland, Piedmont, El Cerrito or Albany. A few other people posted a link to a schools website, but I have no idea what it was. There were schools with scores above 800 in all of the cities listed.

School decline in Berkeley and Oakland around high school, but by the time your kids are ready for that things could be very different.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Actually, the short commute to Emeryville from Lamorinda is what draws many people to live in the area. My husband works in the city, but commutes to S.F. When we moved out here he was commuting to an office in Alameda, but that closed and they moved to S.F. It is a very manageable commute.

I am not anti-city (I lived in S.F. for 15 years and we bought our first home there), but I gave advice based on what I thought the OP was looking for. I agree, there are some great schools in Piedmont, but the area has a very different feel than Lamorinda. What I like about living in Lamorinda with a family isn't just about the schools--it is the open space, safety (my kids play outside on our block all the time and walk to school), and slower pace. Some people may find it boring here, but we like it for those reasons.

I lived in Berkeley for a short time (4 months) and didn't really enjoy living there. As far as the East Bay goes, I like where I live. I realize your milage may vary.
Lisa

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Definitely look at Albany. Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga are a lot more suburban and are much hotter in the summer, Albany is right on the bay and is generally much cooler in summer.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Definitely look at Albany. Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga are a lot more suburban and are much hotter in the summer, Albany is right on the bay and is generally much cooler in summer.
I don't mean to be arugumentative, but this is just incorrect. In Moraga, our average temperature in the summer months is in the mid to upper 70's. It is actually perfect, and that is one reason (among many) that it is expensive to buy a home here. Here are the average temps for Moraga for the year:

Average Weather for Moraga, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

I grew up in Davis, CA--which is also a great town, but if you want to talk about some "hot" temps in the summer Davis is your town. Some people love the warmth in the summer, though (like my dad) and finds the Lamorinda area "cold". Areas further inland like Walnut Creek, Concord, San Ramon and Danville get much warmer in the summer than we do in the summer. Some people love those hot summers and think that is a bonus.

Take care,
Lisa

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
I agree Moraga isn't THAT hot. It's actually pretty nice in the summer. Lots of swim meets and outdoor activities for kids. I grew up in eastern Walnut Creek, and we had friends in Moraga, and it was a good ten degrees hotter in WC (or more), and they would complain about how hot it got on some days in WC. Plus, in Moraga, there are virtually no balmy nights to sit outside on your patio like in WC. Personally, I like the heat better.

In any case, I would say, with elementary-aged kids, Lamorinda is a great area, and Albany would be very convenient too.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I don't mean to be arugumentative, but this is just incorrect. In Moraga, our average temperature in the summer months is in the mid to upper 70's. It is actually perfect, and that is one reason (among many) that it is expensive to buy a home here.
Really? Well, ok. I know a couple of people from Moraga and they often complain in summer about how hot it is there. Are Lafayette and Orinda similar in climate or are they more like a hotter place like Walnut Creek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland