Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times

Advertisements

Cool story, bro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 02:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
The OP nailed nothing. I lived in Boston back in 2010 when that thread was made and he's full of doodoo. South End was still a bit of a hole back then, only thing bringing it back was the thriving gay community. But it was hardly "the most desirable place to live in Boston" that he describes. It's not even that today. Dorchester was pit, no self-respecting person would live there. Things have changed a bit for the better but I know I'd never ever live in Dorchester.

When I moved to SFBA in 2013 I went to check out Oakland. My first thought - Dorchester. Thanks but no thanks. Since then I've been there and except for a couple of neighborhoods such as Piedmont there is no way I'd even consider it. Sure, SF is still quite criminal and full of bums but to me Oakland will forever be a horrible ugly ghetto no matter how much the downtown changes. Wouldn't move over there even for free.
Piedmont is not Oakland...

Piedmont is a city with it's own Police Department, City Hall, etc...

Oakland has many wonderful neighborhoods and covers a lot of territory...

All the way from Sheffield near Lake Chabot... to Montclair deep in the Redwoods, Rockridge, Lakeshore, Trestle Glenn, etc...

Not trying to sell anyone on Oakland but if you got to know Oakland you would know Piedmont is a city and not part of Oakland.

The demand for Oakland Real Estate puts in the top 5 markets nationwide...

Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
A lady just had her business offices in Oakland broken into TWICE in 48 hours by the SAME crew. They came back the second time to retrieve whatever they missed the first time.

She can't even file a police report until they get a police walk-through, and they are 76th in line for that. It could be days before they show up.

She lives in Far East Oakland in a neighborhood that is barely beginning to gentrify. I saw the crime stats for her neighborhood when she and her husband bought the house and couldn't believe they bought there. Lots of car theft. Lots of burglaries.

Prior to buying their house, their Oakland rental house was burglarized.

Man. When is enough, enough?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
A lady just had her business offices in Oakland broken into TWICE in 48 hours by the SAME crew. They came back the second time to retrieve whatever they missed the first time.

She can't even file a police report until they get a police walk-through, and they are 76th in line for that. It could be days before they show up.

She lives in Far East Oakland in a neighborhood that is barely beginning to gentrify. I saw the crime stats for her neighborhood when she and her husband bought the house and couldn't believe they bought there. Lots of car theft. Lots of burglaries.

Property Crimes are easier to report online... and it works and provides a police report should one be needed... no waiting around.

https://secure.coplogic.com/dors/en/...=1537224048223

Two years ago I rented to a family that had been in San Francisco for 11 years and got fed up... their poor car had the window smashed out so many times they left the car unlocked with the window down... I am not kidding... but SF is the Smash and Grab capital of the US...

The car also looked like it had been through a war... front and rear dings and bumper damage from street parking... plus, they had to move their car often... sometimes parking blocks from their apartment.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Oakland has undergone significant gentrification and parts of Oakland are a nice commute to the financial district,googles sf office ,the new facebook tower etc

It's no longer the Oakland of the 80's

Claremont pines

132 alpine terrace
Sold $4.2 million

5710 Mararido
Sold $3.25 million

Rockridge
Has had 6 homes sale for $2.3 million or more in the last 3 months

**north of piedmont/ montclair

5840 Heron Dr,
Oakland, CA 94618
SOLD: $2,675,000
Sold on 12/13/16
Zestimate®: $3,202,833

6001 Harbord Dr,
Oakland, CA 94611
4 beds 4 baths 3,854 sqft
SOLD: $3,000,000
Sold on 08/20/15
Zestimate®: $3,920,839

***oakmore

2161 Bywood Dr,
Oakland, CA 94602
5 beds 4 baths 3,819 sqft
SOLD: $2,400,000

1951 Bywood Dr,
Oakland, CA 94602
3 beds 3 baths 3,252 sqft
SOLD: $2,005,000

***crocker highlands /trestle glen

1129 Clarendon Cres,
Oakland, CA 94610
5 beds 3.5 baths 4,176 sqft
SOLD: $3,030,000

801 Longridge Rd,
Oakland, CA 94610
6 beds 3 baths 3,986 sqft
SOLD: $2,850,000

Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Yep, crime rate in Oakland is astronomical. If/when they get that under control, and I think they eventually will, it will make correct what the OP said in 2010.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, crime rate in Oakland is astronomical. If/when they get that under control, and I think they eventually will, it will make correct what the OP said in 2010.
If and when they get that under control no one will be able to buy in...

Plenty of neighborhoods with a million buy in now just to get in.

I was looking at homes Sunday in the Fruitvale neighborhood... prices ranged from 600 to 850k... "Crime and all".

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-18-2018 at 08:16 PM..

Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
The only thing astronomical in Oakland right now is rental, housing, and commercial prices. Oakland is changing dramatically. As in, once in a generation transformation. Check it out if you are not too scared.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The only thing astronomical in Oakland right now is rental, housing, and commercial prices. Oakland is changing dramatically. As in, once in a generation transformation. Check it out if you are not too scared.
I agree but the crime stats are still very high even with those high prices. For me, Oakland has a near perfect climate and location.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
I agree but the crime stats are still very high even with those high prices. For me, Oakland has a near perfect climate and location.
Unless you are in the ghetto areas, I don't think you have to worry. Car break ins are an epidemic in the whole region. That is something hard to shield yourself from around here. Homeless issue is really bad too. People here seem to think it is compassionate to let people live on the streets in filth. Not sure what the best answer is there. Regardless, crime hurts our low income/no income neighbors of color more than anyone middle class and above. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland