Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Californian. I've live in southern, central and northern California. For the life of me, I never have nor will I ever undersdtand this fascination and preoccupation with "diversity." In fact, cities like Sacramento always annoyed me with their many declarations and politically correct protestations of "celebrating" their diversity.

Now don't get me wrong, I like ethnic food, arts, customs as well as the next person. I've lived in three other countries for several years each and visited a few more. However, I've never chosen a place to live based upon diversity, nor have I tracked the ebb and flow of ethnic families except when they consisted of illegal immigrants overflowing homes and neighborhoods, jamming schools and emergency rooms, waving the flags of their countries of origin and making demands for benefits legal citizens are entitled to, plus some.

While it is obvious that "celebrating" diversity is the politically correct and "enlightened" thing to do, at what cost to our unique American culture and our country? But before you start, I am well aware that we're a country of immigrants and I have no problem, whatsoever, with those who come legally, properly and ready to embrace what it is to be an American without being a drain on our resources.

Let the flaming begin for having had the audacity to be completely honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM

312 posts, read 502,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm a native Californian. I've live in southern, central and northern California. For the life of me, I never have nor will I ever undersdtand this fascination and preoccupation with "diversity." In fact, cities like Sacramento always annoyed me with their many declarations and politically correct protestations of "celebrating" their diversity.

Now don't get me wrong, I like ethnic food, arts, customs as well as the next person. I've lived in three other countries for several years each and visited a few more. However, I've never chosen a place to live based upon diversity, nor have I tracked the ebb and flow of ethnic families except when they consisted of illegal immigrants overflowing homes and neighborhoods, jamming schools and emergency rooms, waving the flags of their countries of origin and making demands for benefits legal citizens are entitled to, plus some.

While it is obvious that "celebrating" diversity is the politically correct and "enlightened" thing to do, at what cost to our unique American culture and our country? But before you start, I am well aware that we're a country of immigrants and I have no problem, whatsoever, with those who come legally, properly and ready to embrace what it is to be an American without being a drain on our resources.

That's it, let your racism out in the open, we've seen your posts it's about time you're being honest with yourself. The white man is the victim, diversity is a scam. America is the white mans land!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

Well, your opinions on immigration are well taken. I can agree to an extent about the system being innundated and overwhelmed. Financially its a very heavy burden and I have long espoused strict border controls and I truly believe that it should be the US who decides which persons should be allowed to enter this country, not people on their own free will.

I think we agree on that point.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Legal Immigration imo. That is not even the problem. The problem, and it is a problem, is what to do about those who are here illegally.

I think we need to pass the Dream Act. It really will help us all in the long run.

I also think we need to do as Reagan did, and give Amnesty to those who are here, conditional to some sort of fine(which I think is reasonable) and based on how theyve conducted themselves since coming here.

Then we tighten our borders like never before.

As I've stated earlier, the Fed has become nothing more than an enabler with respect to Illegal Immigration.

With respect to diversity as a whole, I think its wonderful when we can learn from people of different cultures and nationalities.

One thing I am greatly torn about is assmiliation. On the one hand, I think its great that people retain their culture because it really does make things more interesting.

On the other hand tho, we are Americans now, and should do everything we can to assimilate into American culture. Americans have a common language and its English. I think people from other countries who come here should make a concerted effort to learn English and become as fluent as possible. There is nothing wrong with that expectation and it isnt racist in the least. Its simply becoming part of us. That's the way I see it.

I think that in times past, Immigrants actively sought to become as Americanized as possible, but now its not the same.

Even with my culture I notice it, my parents generation was far more interested in making sure they learned the language, worked really hard, bought homes and became as American as possible. They prided themselves on the ability to be equals to their neighbors.

Nowadays, I get teased at some functions for acting 'too white'?!?!?!?!?

Which is absurd.

There are so many layers to address in this topic, but I think our focus as a society should be to make us more alike rather than keeping us 'different'. This is of course with respect to things that are useful to acheiving unity, like language and education.

Obviously things such as religion and other subjective things are different.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
The diversification of California seems to be homogenizing throughout the state which is good. Not everyone wants to live in urban areas. Blacks from Los Angeles have been moving out to Palmdale for years; also San Bernardino. It's expensive to live in the city. Plus relatively expensive urban Black neighborhoods like Ladera Hts, Altadena, Baldwin Hills, Rancho Dominguez are becoming more diverse. On racial\ethnic maps all California metros were colorfully mixed together compared to out of state big cities with very separate neighborhoods.

Blacks in California are outnumbered by Latinos & non-hispanic Anglos as well as Asians. And, once Black intercity areas are either Latino or becoming Latino very fast.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
That's it, let your racism out in the open, we've seen your posts it's about time you're being honest with yourself. The white man is the victim, diversity is a scam. America is the white mans land!
I knew I could count on you to be the apologist cretin you are! You didn't disappoint!

If you really feel the way you're trying to attribute to me, and nothing could be further from the truth, why are you here? Take your little flag and go where you'll be more comfortable. You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, your opinions on immigration are well taken. I can agree to an extent about the system being innundated and overwhelmed. Financially its a very heavy burden and I have long espoused strict border controls and I truly believe that it should be the US who decides which persons should be allowed to enter this country, not people on their own free will.

I think we agree on that point.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Legal Immigration imo. That is not even the problem. The problem, and it is a problem, is what to do about those who are here illegally.

I think we need to pass the Dream Act. It really will help us all in the long run.

I also think we need to do as Reagan did, and give Amnesty to those who are here, conditional to some sort of fine(which I think is reasonable) and based on how theyve conducted themselves since coming here.

Then we tighten our borders like never before.

As I've stated earlier, the Fed has become nothing more than an enabler with respect to Illegal Immigration.

With respect to diversity as a whole, I think its wonderful when we can learn from people of different cultures and nationalities.

One thing I am greatly torn about is assmiliation. On the one hand, I think its great that people retain their culture because it really does make things more interesting.

On the other hand tho, we are Americans now, and should do everything we can to assimilate into American culture. Americans have a common language and its English. I think people from other countries who come here should make a concerted effort to learn English and become as fluent as possible. There is nothing wrong with that expectation and it isnt racist in the least. Its simply becoming part of us. That's the way I see it.

I think that in times past, Immigrants actively sought to become as Americanized as possible, but now its not the same.

Even with my culture I notice it, my parents generation was far more interested in making sure they learned the language, worked really hard, bought homes and became as American as possible. They prided themselves on the ability to be equals to their neighbors.

Nowadays, I get teased at some functions for acting 'too white'?!?!?!?!?

Which is absurd.

There are so many layers to address in this topic, but I think our focus as a society should be to make us more alike rather than keeping us 'different'. This is of course with respect to things that are useful to acheiving unity, like language and education.

Obviously things such as religion and other subjective things are different.
Well thought out and expressed, Monty. Earned you a rep!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I knew I could count on you to be the apologist cretin you are! You didn't disappoint!

If you really feel the way you're trying to attribute to me, and nothing could be further from the truth, why are you here? Take your little flag and go where you'll be more comfortable. You'll be glad you did.
The real question is why are YOU here considering you let a *gasp* Mexican American convince you to buy property in the Ozarks and flee California. You don't even live here anymore yet you're crying about diversity. There is no diversity where you live, be happy. My flag is the American flag, my family has been here since slavery. Have yours? Oh wait that's right, Blacks are not real Americans. Apologist. Right, I happen to like diversity. For some reason you think it means illegals. Are you mad at the Irish pubs that fly the Irish flag? Of course not, you're a hypocrite.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
The real question is why are YOU here considering you let a *gasp* Mexican American convince you to buy property in the Ozarks and flee California. You don't even live here anymore yet you're crying about diversity. There is no diversity where you live, be happy. My flag is the American flag, my family has been here since slavery. Have yours? Oh wait that's right, Blacks are not real Americans. Apologist. Right, I happen to like diversity. For some reason you think it means illegals. Are you mad at the Irish pubs that fly the Irish flag? Of course not, you're a hypocrite.
Now we get to the crux of the situation. Oh my! You're a put upon, angry black still pissed over things that occurred almost 400 years ago and, unfortunately, weren't reversed for all too long. By the way, my family started here in 1603 and slavery didn't follow until 1613 in Jamestown Colony, VA when John Rolfe, supposedly one of my ancestors, bought 13 "nigars" (according to his journal) from a Dutch slave ship that dropped anchor there. I'm sorry you don't consider your people to be real Americans. I always did, especially after serving with many of them in the military. You may wish to rethink that!

No Mexican American convinced me to do anything and we didn't flee from anything but did deplore nanny government, stifling taxes and ridiculous costs of living, especially in retirement. Rather, we "fled" toward something; a general part of the country we'd both lived in for many years before and missed, along with four distinct seasons we enjoyed.

I do not think diversity necessarily means illegals but I don't like that element of society and there's no reason I should, nor should any American.

Did anyone ever tell you what "assume" means? I doubt it because you do it a lot. That's what makes you a cretin!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
nor have I tracked the ebb and flow of ethnic families except when they consisted of illegal immigrants overflowing homes and neighborhoods, jamming schools and emergency rooms, waving the flags of their countries of origin and making demands for benefits legal citizens are entitled to, plus some.
lol!

Quote:
By the way, my family started here in 1603 and slavery didn't follow until 1613 in Jamestown Colony, VA when John Rolfe, supposedly one of my ancestors, bought 13 "nigars" (according to his journal) from a Dutch slave ship that dropped anchor there.
I guess it runs in the family.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Now we get to the crux of the situation. Oh my! You're a put upon, angry black still pissed over things that occurred almost 400 years ago and, unfortunately, weren't reversed for all too long. By the way, my family started here in 1603 and slavery didn't follow until 1613 in Jamestown Colony, VA when John Rolfe, supposedly one of my ancestors, bought 13 "nigars" (according to his journal) from a Dutch slave ship that dropped anchor there. I'm sorry you don't consider your people to be real Americans. I always did, especially after serving with many of them in the military. You may wish to rethink that!

No Mexican American convinced me to do anything and we didn't flee from anything but did deplore nanny government, stifling taxes and ridiculous costs of living, especially in retirement. Rather, we "fled" toward something; a general part of the country we'd both lived in for many years before and missed, along with four distinct seasons we enjoyed.

I do not think diversity necessarily means illegals but I don't like that element of society and there's no reason I should, nor should any American.

Did anyone ever tell you what "assume" means? I doubt it because you do it a lot. That's what makes you a cretin!
Did I touch a nerve Nazi? Did I say anything that made you think I was angry about slavery? Of course not, it's a knee jerk reaction to call all blacks complainers be mentioning Slavery and angry black. Why can't you racists understand that it's not about slavery? Did you forget Jim Crow? My parents got beat up during sit ins. Then again all you can think about is slavery, never-mind the fact that 45 years ago Blacks couldn't even vote in the south. But you want to continue to talk about 400 years ago. Look just stay in your nice secluded white supremacist training grounds of the Ozarks and you won't ever have to come into contact with any diversity again. You can continue to complain about how angry you are on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland