Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

A group called Urban Strategies is releasing a report on the "State of Bay Area Blacks."

Here's an interview in Oakland Local with the organization. Blacks leaving the Bay? New report on black population trends in Oakland reveals

The demographics of Oakland and other Bay Area cities that had a larger black population is shifting, as more an more African-American families move further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 AM

136 posts, read 481,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A group called Urban Strategies is releasing a report on the "State of Bay Area Blacks."

Here's an interview in Oakland Local with the organization. Blacks leaving the Bay? New report on black population trends in Oakland reveals

The demographics of Oakland and other Bay Area cities that had a larger black population is shifting, as more an more African-American families move further out.

It more of a Native California thing Black an White. Here is how it goes Grand Pa move out from the south because No job there for them they move out here an work there ass off in the Steel yard. or long shoreman. after 35 years the have Cadillac Pension. Cadillac heath care home paid for with life insurance.

White Grand Pa move out from the east coast. The plant closed out were there Dad worked all his life an there was no jobs there. No one had any money an things were BAD. Here there is a job for every one in California.

They drove out to California with some one car they transported . they did not even own cars. It was tough back then.

They got good union jobs work 35 to 40 years got a great pension 6k a month with Cadillac heath plans.

Then They died Black an White. The kids took the money they were not working an working low jobs no savings or the new thing called Child support BAM no money

They sold Grand pa house for a lot of $$$ move to Modesto or Sac Or Stockton if you were from the bay

If you were from LA you cashed out an moved to Vegas BABY bought for cash.

Now everything is all gone
End of the story!!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
The interesting part of the article is how they find this "alarming" and talk about what they can do to stop or reverse the trend. I'm asking myself WHY that is even an issue? WHY do you want concentrated areas of black people? Isn't it pretty normal for populations to ebb and flow and for people to move about? It's like someone is pissed that the 10th generation isn't going to stay in Oakland or something. I don't care. Maybe they are just figuring out there is more to live than inner-city living in CA and getting the hell out of dodge. It's actually kind of "alarming" to hear people discuss a population based on the color of their skin and try to think-tank their way into making sure those folks never do anything different than they have always done. Freaky. So what if Oakland one day has a smaller black population, I won't care, and either will the black people who DON'T live there because they will be somewhere else that's home to them. The future does not owe the past of present anything people, just because some people think it's special doesn't mean the next generation will.

Last edited by Ceece; 12-02-2010 at 12:58 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I think it is pretty indicative of the overall trends in the US. But it is potentially "alarming" if it looks like people are being forced out, in the way SF did with the Fillmore redevelopment. AKA promising you'll be able to relocate after the "redevelopment" and then never honoring the guarantees.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM

All those house's in Hunters Point an all around SF (Single Family Houses) Were sold for an Refied for BIG money.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's like someone is pissed that the 10th generation isn't going to stay in Oakland or something. I don't care. Maybe they are

10th generations ago Oakland was all white. West Oakland was a rich Area.

Everyone like to pick a date to start history.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 40,284 times
It would be interesting to collect the median income of those who left. I would think the vast majority are near poverty income level, moving to the south. This isn't specific to Oakland, it's happening nationwide. Why anyone with near poverty income level would stay in Oakland is beyond me? Black, Hispanic, White, Asian, Purple... doesn't matter.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is pretty indicative of the overall trends in the US. But it is potentially "alarming" if it looks like people are being forced out, in the way SF did with the Fillmore redevelopment. AKA promising you'll be able to relocate after the "redevelopment" and then never honoring the guarantees.
True, but the Fillmore redevelopment squeezed out poor people, many of whom in that area happened to be Black. The issue with the aforementioned report dealt with trends based solely on race.

I've noticed that many communities, whether by race, language, religion, or sexual orientation, are starting to fall apart as everyone gets along with each other better than in the past. Bigger regions are getting more diverse, while the concentrated pockets are breaking up and people are scattering. I think it's a good thing, because we're all just people with the same basic issues.

Obviously, communities still want to share their common experiences and experience solidarity, butI think that will increasingly be through them coming together for specific purposes (like community meetings, business groups, festivals, church or synagogue services, etc.) than living together as in the past. The Internet also allows people to spread out more and still keep those connections. (Actually, the Internet may a major factor in population dispersal now that I think about it). So, it's not necessarily "alarming" that Black people are moving all over the region, because they are not necessarily abandoning their communities, just redefining them. Plus, as more diverse mixes of people live together, they develop entirely new communities as well.

All in all, I'd see the report as positive rather than negative.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
True, but the Fillmore redevelopment squeezed out poor people, many of whom in that area happened to be Black. The issue with the aforementioned report dealt with trends based solely on race.

You want a safer city most likely you have to kick out the poor people. They are the ones who steal. regardless of color, it is their actions that need to be removed.

I wonder why I see young men of ALL ages and colors wandering the street during the daytime dressed obviously not to go to work. They don't have jobs, Okay, they are young, they should be going to school then to further themselves. I guess I assume they are up to no good because we were.

I see nothing wrong with people who have no money leaving the urban/suburban areas to more rural areas where the dollar goes further and maybe they can stay out of trouble, get a better education.

Rural means work is harder to come by though. Or do they just decide they don't need to work for a living?

I know many kids/young adults feel stealing is so much easier. Dealing drugs is easier than a real job at McDonalds for little pay. I think sometimes our youth don't feel they need to work their way up the ladder.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
As stated earlier, this is a phenomenon that transcends Oakland. Nationally, the Black populations of the Northeast, Midwest and West have been dwindling as more Blacks move to the South-this has been the case for about 2 decades now.

Interestingly, I am pleased to report that according to the Census Bureau, Oakland saw a surge in its Black population in 2009:

Oakland Black Population
2006 113,078
2007 111,801
2008 105,340
2009 112,140
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland