Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM

23 posts, read 47,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You are using "WORLD" a bit loosely here or does world end in CA stateline for you? What do you mean by self sufficient cities and infrastructure? Bay area does not produce anything that it consumes everyday like food, energy and so on. Being 'self-sufficient' is a meaningless word in the the context of describing a city. Every city is connected and inter-dependent with other areas. Coastal CA weather in bay area in general and SF in particular is one of the most boring, cloudy, foggy, cold weather in the US all year long. The weather alone is a good reason to avoid SF. Having that cold, foggy ocean around is more of a nuisance than a desirable thing. I live very close to the beach and except those rare days when a heat wave happens, I would not set my foot on that cold beach! Every major metropolitan area in US is pretty diverse and often more diverse than bay area. There is nothing unique about bay area diversity.

I am not missing any point of living here. You seem to be the one who is believing too much into the hype that surrounds bay area. I am not saying bay area does not have good things but in terms of overall living standard many US metropolitan areas are way better and reasonably priced.

a lot of people actually likes the fact that the season changes here in the bay area and it's not just hot, hotter, and hottest. believe it or not, people do move out here for the weather as well. oakland alone is considered to have THE best climate in the world.

other than new york, start naming some please. and don't even dare bring up chicago haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
^ [Smug alert] Oakland does not have the best climate in the world (LOL). Obviously you've never heard of the Carribean or the Pacific islands.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
^ Or LA

Old 12-15-2010, 07:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You are using "WORLD" a bit loosely here or does world end in CA stateline for you? What do you mean by self sufficient cities and infrastructure? Bay area does not produce anything that it consumes everyday like food, energy and so on. Being 'self-sufficient' is a meaningless word in the the context of describing a city. Every city is connected and inter-dependent with other areas. Coastal CA weather in bay area in general and SF in particular is one of the most boring, cloudy, foggy, cold weather in the US all year long. The weather alone is a good reason to avoid SF. Having that cold, foggy ocean around is more of a nuisance than a desirable thing. I live very close to the beach and except those rare days when a heat wave happens, I would not set my foot on that cold beach! Every major metropolitan area in US is pretty diverse and often more diverse than bay area. There is nothing unique about bay area diversity.

I am not missing any point of living here. You seem to be the one who is believing too much into the hype that surrounds bay area. I am not saying bay area does not have good things but in terms of overall living standard many US metropolitan areas are way better and reasonably priced.

Name 10 other areas in the world with more microclimates than the bay area.

Name 10 other areas in the world with an O/A better restaurant scene than the bay area.

By self-sufficient I mean they stand on their own merits much like SF does despite being in SF's shadow. Was not talking about agriculture. And ROFL at anywhere outside of the peninsula pacific coastline area being cloudy/foggy all the time. You should head south/across the bay bridge some time.

And you're entirely wrong about the ethnic diversity part. The Bay area is easily one of the top 3 most diverse regions in the country. The diversity in the bay area is not limited to the big cities either... in fact, other than in Oakland, most of the diversity is spread among the suburbs. This is NOT the case for almost all of the other metropolitan areas in the US. The Chicagoland/Boston/NY suburbs are not exactly what I would call diverse.

Honestly, I don't understand why you choose to live here. It would appear that you're missing the vast majority of the point of living here.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Arrow Bringing Smuggies Back To Reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Name 10 other areas in the world with more microclimates than the bay area.
Nobody cares about "microclimates".

Quote:
Name 10 other areas in the world with an O/A better restaurant scene than the bay area.
Sure Paris, New York, LA, Chicago, Las Vegas, Tokyo, San Antonio, Boston, DC, Toronto, Baltimore etc the list goes on. Theres too many metro areas with great amenities and great restaurants.

Quote:
By self-sufficient I mean they stand on their own merits much like SF does despite being in SF's shadow. Was not talking about agriculture. And ROFL at anywhere outside of the peninsula pacific coastline area being cloudy/foggy all the time. You should head south/across the bay bridge some time.
Then say stand on their own merit, not "self sufficient". BTW no city in the Bay Area really stands on its own merit. Alot of people (outside the bay) will seriously look at you with a blank stare if you say your from any other Bay Area city besides SF or Oakland.

Quote:
And you're entirely wrong about the ethnic diversity part. The Bay area is easily one of the top 3 most diverse regions in the country. The diversity in the bay area is not limited to the big cities either... in fact, other than in Oakland, most of the diversity is spread among the suburbs. This is NOT the case for almost all of the other metropolitan areas in the US. The Chicagoland/Boston/NY suburbs are not exactly what I would call diverse.
So now your moving to the suburbs? Is Walnut Creek Diverse? What about Cupertino?

Quote:
By diversity you must mean non-white, becuase the suburbs are not "diverse" in any broad sense of the term. In the Bay that usually means Asian. But fact is, outside of the urban areas so called "diversity" in the Bay Area is non-existent and limited to Hispanics and/or Asians.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Nobody cares about "microclimates".

Sure Paris, New York, LA, Chicago, Las Vegas, Tokyo, San Antonio, Boston, DC, Toronto, Baltimore etc the list goes on. Theres too many metro areas with great amenities and great restaurants.

Then say stand on their own merit, not "self sufficient". BTW no city in the Bay Area really stands on its own merit. Alot of people (outside the bay) will seriously look at you with a blank stare if you say your from any other Bay Area city besides SF or Oakland.

So now your moving to the suburbs? Is Walnut Creek Diverse? What about Cupertino?

... No way in HELL does DC or Baltimore have a better restaurant scene than the bay area overall. By overall I mean covering all the bases. You can literally get almost a anything in the bay area you can think of and most of it is good-great. Baltimore has some of the best seafood in the country but I'm willing to bet they can't make a decent taco or shish-kebab to save their life. I just came back from there... I would know from experience. And I seriously doubt that San Antonio has as good of a restaurant scene as the Bay Area. LA, NY, Las Vegas and Paris are about the only cities on that list that have the possibility of being better. Tokyo? Are you kidding me? Talk about homogenous.

And yes, people do care about microclimates since we're talking about natural scenery. What do you think that entails?

And that's not true at all. Berkeley, SJ, Santa Cruz, Palo Alto and other cities are definitely known outside of the bay (although mainly for the universities). Can you name one city in IL besides Chicago that's on the national radar? Or NYC in NY for that matter?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM

good lord now its come to bickering about food, as if it is possible to eat everywhere in a big city much less other cities you dont live in.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
good lord now its come to bickering about food, as if it is possible to eat everywhere in a big city much less other cities you dont live in.

No more asinine than arguing about skylines *cough city vs city cough*

And its the truth. The bay area has one of the best food scenes in the world. Deal with it.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
No more asinine than arguing about skylines *cough city vs city cough*

And its the truth. The bay area has one of the best food scenes in the world. Deal with it.
Yea except a skyline is easily quantified, food scene not so much. No one is debating the bay area does not have a good food scene, they are debating the pointlessness with trying to act as if it bests places you are not from, nor have ever lived.

For example most of my family lives around DC. I was just there last week for a funeral. The soul food, and ethinic african food is in such an abundance that the bay area simply can not compare. because of course there is not a large african immigrant population and the american black population is leaving. Pizza was better there, the crab was better as was the peruvian. But you wont see me proclaiming who is better than who, as far as overall scene. that is just pointless.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 49,902 times
haha hopefully that'll be me in a few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland