Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Yea except a skyline is easily quantified, food scene not so much. No one is debating the bay area does not have a good food scene, they are debating the pointlessness with trying to act as if it bests places you are not from, nor have ever lived.

For example most of my family lives around DC. I was just there last week for a funeral. The soul food, and ethinic african food is in such an abundance that the bay area simply can not compare. because of course there is not a large african immigrant population and the american black population is leaving. Pizza was better there, the crab was better as was the peruvian. But you wont see me proclaiming who is better than who, as far as overall scene. that is just pointless.

Its common knowledge that the bay area is easily one of the top 3 places for food in the country and by extention one of the best in the world. Ask any food critic.

Nowhere else in the country will you be able to find the sort of variety you will in the bay area outside of the hub city. Even in a tiny little suburb like Palo Alto you can find an abundance of:

Italian
Chinese
Indian
Thai
Mexican
Mediterranean
Japanese
Korean
American
Jamaican
Ethiopian

And that's in a tiny little city of 50,000 people. And its not like PA's abnormal for the bay area either. You will not find anything remotely resembling the above amount of choice 30 minutes outside of Chicago or even in most of Chicago. The Bay Area IS abnormal compared to the rest of the country in a whole lot of ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Its common knowledge that the bay area is easily one of the top 3 places for food in the country and by extention one of the best in the world. Ask any food critic.

Nowhere else in the country will you be able to find the sort of variety you will in the bay area outside of the hub city. Even in a tiny little suburb like Palo Alto you can find an abundance of:

Italian
Chinese
Indian
Thai
Mexican
Mediterranean
Japanese
Korean
American
Jamaican
Ethiopian

And that's in a tiny little city of 50,000 people. And its not like PA's abnormal for the bay area either. You will not find anything remotely resembling the above amount of choice 30 minutes outside of Chicago or even in most of Chicago. The Bay Area IS abnormal compared to the rest of the country in a whole lot of ways...
By far the silliest post you have written yet. You can find everything you listed in Chicago both in and outside of the city center. But of course, since you have never been to chicago you dont know this.

And I like how you used Palo Alto, which is unique in that with stanford it has a different clientel than other subrbs. Everyone knows you wont find the same dining options in Dublin, San Ramon, Livermore, Morgan Hill, brentwood, etc.

And on that same note I can merely look to Evanston, IL, home of northwestern. Like stanford it is a well known school in a city with a different clientel than most other chicago suburbs. And surprise surprise, they offer everything you listed. Google or Yelp it if you can't take my word for it.

Nice try

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 12-15-2010 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
By far the silliest post you have written yet. You can find everything you listed in Chicago both in and outside of the city center. But of course, since you have never been to chicago you dont know this.

And I like how you used Palo Alto, which is unique in that with stanford it has a different clientel than other subrbs. Everyone knows you wont find the same dining options in Dublin, San Ramon, Livermore, Morgan Hill, brentwood, etc.

And on that same note I can merely look to Evanston, IL, home of northwestern. Like stanford it is a well known school in a city with a different clientel than most other chicago suburbs. And surprise surprise, they offer everything you listed. Google or Yelp it if you can't take my word for it.

Nice try

Yes I have been to Chicago smart***. about 4 times. Let's see you find more than 1 Thai joint on the South Side.

And unique my ***. You can find any of the above in Palo Alto in RWC, Mountain View, San Bruno, or damn near anywhere on the peninsula or in the south bay. The East Bay is no slouch either.

And good job, you managed to list one city in the entire Chicagoland area.

And the Midwest is simply not known for food choice period. This really isn't an argument at all... you can continue your little tirade of denial though.

EDIT: Oh, what do you know. I google mapped "Thai in Chicago" to see what would come up. See it for yourself... rofl.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2,0.41851&z=12

Let's try Japanese while we're at it

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...4,0.41851&z=12

Yeah no.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Let's see what happens when you google map Japanese in the bay area:

Japanese in Bay Area - Google Maps

Or Thai:

Thai in Bay Area - Google Maps

Or Italian:

Italian in Bay Area - Google Maps

Or Mexican:

Mexican - Google Maps

Or BBQ:

bbq in bay area - Google Maps

Or French:

French - Google Maps

Or Mediterranean:

Mediterranean - Google Maps

Or Indian:

Indian in Bay Area - Google Maps

Or Vegetarian:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,1.454315&z=10

Or Ethiopian:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=Bay+Area&z=11

Or seafood:

Or Sandwiches:

You'd seriously have to be confused if you think Chicago's suburbs come anywhere near the vicinity of the bay area's for food choice.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yes I have been to Chicago smart***. about 4 times.
So this makes you an expert? I've been to SF more times in the last month than that.

Quote:
Let's see you find more than 1 Thai joint on the South Side.
Okay, I will.

www.yelp.co.uk/search?find_desc=&ns=1&find_loc=elgin&country=GB#f ind_desc=thai+food+delivery&find_loc=Chicago+south +side

That would be 5 on the near south side (one neighborhood), that also offer dilivery.

Quote:
You can find any of the above in Palo Alto in RWC, Mountain View, San Bruno, or damn near anywhere on the peninsula or in the south bay. The East Bay is no slouch either.
So wheres the ethiopian food in castro valley, san lorenzo, san leandro, ashland, cherryland, hayward or union city?

Where is the indian food in saratoga? Wheres the jamaican food in burlingame?

Quote:
And good job, you managed to list one city in the entire Chicagoland area.
Thats because it was the city that resembled Palo Alto the most, which would be my guess as to why they both have the same type of placse to eat.

Quote:
And the Midwest is simply not known for food choice period. This really isn't an argument at all... you can continue your little tirade of denial though
Your uninformed opinion of chicago or the midwest in general really is of no bearing to me. Chicago is one of the premier places to eat in the country, and if you cant see that, you should simply take your own advice and "ask any food critic".

Its not my fault you started spouting off and I showed you were wrong. You even had the audacity to suggest that "most" chicago did not have the types of places listed, when it has some of the largest italian, mexican, and mediterranean and american born populations in the united states.

Again, I am not saying one place is better than the other, I just don't understand this whole "our food is better than yours" nonsense. Its hard to find a good pizza in the bay, much less a gyro.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM

e
Quote:
So this makes you an expert? I've been to SF more times in the last month than that.

Okay, I will.

www.yelp.co.uk/search?find_desc=&ns=1&find_loc=elgin&country=GB#f ind_desc=thai+food+delivery&find_loc=Chicago+south +side

That would be 5 on the near south side, that also offer dilivery.

So wheres the ethiopian food in castro valley, san lorenzo, san leandro, ashland, cherryland, hayward or union city?

Where is the indian food in saratoga? Wheres the jamaican food in burlingame?

Thats because it was the city that resembled Palo Alto the most, which would be my guess as to why they both have the same type of placse to eat.

Your uninformed opinion of chicago or the midwest in general really is of no bearing to me. Chicago is one of the premier places to eat in the country, and if you cant see that, you should simply take your own advice and "ask any food critic".

Its not my fault you started spouting off and I showed you were wrong. You even had the audacity to suggest that "most" chicago did not have the types of places listed, when it has some of the largest italian, mexican, and mediterranean and american born populations in the united states.

Again, I am not saying one place is better than the other, I just don't understand this whole "our food is better than yours" nonsense. Its hard to find a good pizza in the bay, much less a gyro.

And that makes you an expert on the Bay Area?

Chicago is an exception to the rule by virtue of being one of the largest cities in the country. I already listed Chicago as being one of the best food cities in the country. Outside of Chicago is another story. And no, you did not prove me wrong. The VAST majority of Chicago's restaurant scene is in downtown. The bay area's is the entire bay area. ROFL at you even bothering to mention ashland and cherryland as if they were anything more than unincorporated little neighborhoods of cities. Where's the Indian food in Saratoga? Saratoga is literally surrounded by the Indian capital of the US.

And 2 of the top 10 pizza places in the country are in the bay area... try a little harder.

Brick-oven Pizzeria | New York City | Left Coast | Patsy Grimaldi :: American Way Magazine

And I can name 3 amazing pizza places in the bay off the top of my head:

Zachary's (Oakland & Albany)
Cheesboard Pizza (Berkeley)
Tonys Napoletano Pizza (SF)

Obviously Chicago & NY have the crown for pizza though.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
And that makes you an expert on the Bay Area
No, the six and a half years living in Berkeley, probably is where I learned the most. Did you spend 6 and half years in Chicago? Oh wait, you've been there four times.

Quote:
Chicago is an exception to the rule by virtue of being one of the largest cities in the country.
No its not, it is a big city with a good scene. Theres no exception, most large cities have good scenes. Trying to pick on the rest of the sparsely populated rural midwest is like trying to pick on the sparsely populated rural central valley. Its just silly.

Quote:
I already listed Chicago as being one of the best food cities in the country.
So then what exactly is your point?

Quote:
Outside of Chicago is another story. And no, you did not prove me wrong. The VAST majority of Chicago's restaurant scene is in downtown. The bay area's is the entire bay area.
So what if most of chicago's food scene is downtown. I know this may be hard to understand, coming from the bay, but chicago is the central city of the metro, and the city itself has a central core. You see the same thing in placse like Sac or NYC, OR philly. The bay area has no big cities with over a million people, No central city, no central core, and most amenities and venues are much more spread out. Thats why people in sf catch flights in south city, or watch a hockey game in san jose, or giant music venue like bfd at shoreline. So the food scene in the bay doing this, does not surprise me.

And the bay area's food scene does not span the entire bay area. Like I said before you can go to San Ramon, Livermore, brentwood, morgan hill, or dublin and you will find it to be totally different than say the scene in Oakland.

Quote:
ROFL at you even bothering to mention ashland and cherryland as if they were anything more than unincorporated little neighborhoods of cities.
You can "ROFL" all you want, but I listed a a corridor from San Leandro all the way to hayward and union city and out to castro valley that does not have a single ethiopian resteraunt, when you claimed this stuff was "in abundance all over the bay". If counting areas that fall along that corridor makes you laugh, more power to you.

Quote:
Where's the Indian food in Saratoga? Saratoga is literally surrounded by the Indian capital of the US
Exactly. Indian food, what you said was in abundance all over the bay, can not be found in saratoga.

Quote:
And 2 of the top 10 pizza places in the country are in the bay area... try a little harder.

Brick-oven Pizzeria | New York City | Left Coast | Patsy Grimaldi :: American Way Magazine
The American Way Magazine is not, nor have they ever been an authority on pizza, cute though.

Quote:
And I can name 3 amazing pizza places in the bay off the top of my head:

Zachary's (Oakland & Albany)
Cheesboard Pizza (Berkeley)
Tonys Napoletano Pizza (SF)
Zachary's is nothing to write home about. Have not tried the other two.

Quote:
Obviously Chicago & NY have the crown for pizza though.
Amongst most other things.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:

Italian
Chinese
Indian
Thai
Mexican
Mediterranean
Japanese
Korean
American
Jamaican
Ethiopian

You are so off base that it is not even worth pointing it out. If you go to suburbs of most large metros they have all of that. I can tell you that Dallas suburbs like Plano, Irving, Richardson has far more ethnic diversity and diversity of cuisine than Palo Alto. You need to travel and open your mind.

I cannot talk about the entire bay area but here in SF, the so called foodie capital, there is a lack of good ethnic cuisines when it comes to Indian, Mexican, Ethiopian, Middle eastern etc. Other than Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese ethnic food scene in SF is pathetic! Just because people in SF like to go about this inane chest thumping about restaurant quality does not mean they are right!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Name 10 other areas in the world with an O/A better restaurant scene than the bay area.
Is there anything else about life and society you care about other than food? Bay area was recently noted to have the worst road conditions in US, highest taxes in US, miserable transportation infrastructure, huge budget deficits at state at city level, huge cuts in public education, over-inflated housing market and SF/Oakland has some of the worst schools in the country! Quiet frankly, are you a Mission hipster whose world revolves around hanging out at Dolores Park and eating cheap burritos?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
No, the six and a half years living in Berkeley, probably is where I learned the most. Did you spend 6 and half years in Chicago? Oh wait, you've been there four times.

No its not, it is a big city with a good scene. Theres no exception, most large cities have good scenes. Trying to pick on the rest of the sparsely populated rural midwest is like trying to pick on the sparsely populated rural central valley. Its just silly.

So then what exactly is your point?

So what if most of chicago's food scene is downtown. I know this may be hard to understand, coming from the bay, but chicago is the central city of the metro, and the city itself has a central core. You see the same thing in placse like Sac or NYC, OR philly. The bay area has no big cities with over a million people, No central city, no central core, and most amenities and venues are much more spread out. Thats why people in sf catch flights in south city, or watch a hockey game in san jose, or giant music venue like bfd at shoreline. So the food scene in the bay doing this, does not surprise me.

And the bay area's food scene does not span the entire bay area. Like I said before you can go to San Ramon, Livermore, brentwood, morgan hill, or dublin and you will find it to be totally different than say the scene in Oakland.

You can "ROFL" all you want, but I listed a a corridor from San Leandro all the way to hayward and union city and out to castro valley that does not have a single ethiopian resteraunt, when you claimed this stuff was "in abundance all over the bay". If counting areas that fall along that corridor makes you laugh, more power to you.

Exactly. Indian food, what you said was in abundance all over the bay, can not be found in saratoga.

The American Way Magazine is not, nor have they ever been an authority on pizza, cute though.

Zachary's is nothing to write home about. Have not tried the other two.

Amongst most other things.

Brentwood and Dublin are about as much in the bay area as Santa Cruz County is.

And yeah, that's the point. Chicago's is concentrated in downtown. Most of the population of Chicagoland does not live in or in proximity to downtown. The Bay Area's food scene is the entire bay area. You don't have to go up to SF or Oakland or SJ to get a selection of food.

And San Leandro/San Lorenzo/Hayward are literally suburbs of Oakland that are easily connected to the Oakland food scene via BART, not to mention that San Leandro has a food scene in its own right.

Good job. You found a single city out of the 70+ that does not have Indian food in its borders but is literally 5 minutes away driving from dozens of Indian restaurants. You must feel accomplished.

And the American Way article was written by a pizza critic separate from American Way.

Pizza Today > News & Views > Blog (http://www.pizzatoday.com/NewsViews/Blog/tabid/157/Default.aspx - broken link)

Notice how all of the articles say Jeremy White. Your debunking attempt was equally cute.

And no, large cities are not created equal. KC/Milwaukee/Cincinatti/Wichita/Oklahoma City would beg to differ with you.

And thanks for the insight, sherlock. Obviously I wasn't aware that Chicago is the central city of the area. Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland