Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
There's a Jamaican restaurant I go to in San Leandro all the time called Sweet Fingers right on E 14th.

And yes, you can find most things nearly everywhere in the bay area. Obviously there aren't too many Puerto Ricans/Cubans here but other than that its fair game.

And by large cities I thought you meant cities with 400,000-500,000+. There's only 10 or so cities in the country with a population of over a million.
Right on, sweet fingers, I'll have to check it out.

I don't think you can find most things nearly anywhere in the bay, but id say over all most eats are covered.

And I am not talking cities with a few hundred thousand people or metros with a couple million. It just would not make sense to compare an area with 25% of the bay areas population to the bay. Of course the bay will have more variety than those places.

Thats called acting like a big fish in a small pond where I come from. You have to compare to metros of similar size otherwise there is not much of a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Right on, sweet fingers, I'll have to check it out.

I don't think you can find most things nearly anywhere in the bay, but id say over all most eats are covered.

And I am not talking cities with a few hundred thousand people or metros with a couple million. It just would not make sense to compare an area with 25% of the bay areas population to the bay. Of course the bay will have more variety than those places.

Thats called acting like a big fish in a small pond where I come from. You have to compare to metros of similar size otherwise there is not much of a point.

I wasn't comparing the bay to those places. I was saying that Chicago is an exception to the rule in the Midwest. The Midwest in general is a giant homogenized small pond. Chinese people have only recently began to make a dent into whats still an almost entirely black and white midwest, but there's nothing wrong with it being the way it is... it just means that there isn't as much choice.

And I never said that food was the most important comparison tool, I said its one of the reasons why the Bay is great among others. If Andyadhi01 actually wants a list of all the great things about the Bay that I don't know how he/she hasn't already noticed then I'll do so.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
In the world of 24h super Walmarts SF has only one big box retail i.e. Costco. True to San Francisco stone-age fashion they promptly close at 6 on weekends!

Costco

Even with that ridiculous hours half of SF shops at Costco and the rest half drives to Daly city to go to Target.

Even small town middle America has better store access than that! So much so for being a city!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
In the world of 24h super Walmarts SF has only one big box retail i.e. Costco. True to San Francisco stone-age fashion they promptly close at 6 on weekends!

Costco

Even with that ridiculous hours half of SF shops at Costco and the rest half drives to Daly city to go to Target.

Even small town middle America has better store access than that! So much so for being a city!

Again, talk about missing the point. SF is about 45 square miles, all of which is heavily populated and full of Spanish and Victorian architecture. Unless you want them to raze the SFness out of SF to turn it into Anytown USA then why are you complaining. Maybe you should try living by the means you're given. This aint TX.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Again, talk about missing the point. SF is about 45 square miles, all of which is heavily populated and full of Spanish and Victorian architecture.
What does small size have to do with urban amenities and keeping things open late?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
What does small size have to do with urban amenities and keeping things open late?

... Unlike Houston and Dallas, SF was one of the premiere American cities well before suburbs became the in-thing. Calling a Walmart an "urban amenity" is a bad joke at best and ignorance at worst. Walmart only build on the cheapest property they can find, which obviously rules out SF.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
... Unlike Houston and Dallas, SF was one of the premiere American cities well before suburbs became the in-thing. Calling a Walmart an "urban amenity" is a bad joke at best and ignorance at worst. Walmart only build on the cheapest property they can find, which obviously rules out SF.
No one is asking for a Walmart in SF. As long as they keep the damn Costco and neighborhood markets open till 10 PM so that hard working people can actually use them it will be fine.

BTW, who says SF is a premier city? Or do you feel obliged to agree with everything SF d*bags like to claim about their city?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Walmart only build on the cheapest property they can find, which obviously rules out SF.
FYI, as of now SF has tonnes of vacant/abandoned commercial place and large vacant warehouses! Whats lacking is not space, but the foresight and political will to become a modern functional city

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
No one is asking for a Walmart in SF. As long as they keep the damn Costco and neighborhood markets open till 10 PM so that hard working people can actually use them it will be fine.

BTW, who says SF is a premier city? Or do you feel obliged to agree with everything SF d*bags like to claim about their city?

Because it is. Deal with it.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
FYI, as of now SF has tonnes of vacant/abandoned commercial place and large vacant warehouses! Whats lacking is not space, but the foresight and political will to become a modern functional city

Again that vacant space costs $$$$$$ that big box retailers aint willing to spend. It's the exact same reason why there's no Target in Oakland and the only Walmart is in one of the worst hoods in the entire city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland