U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,428 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody.

First of all - sorry 4 my spelling .

Me and my girlfriend 26 and 25years old - we have plan to come to San Francisco for summer = 3 months.

we did trip like this last year to New York - manhattan and the year before to England.

we are from Europe - Czech Republic - Prague

we do trips like this for some time

so we have some information and experience.

The question I would like to ask you - which part of San francisco or boroughs around(if I ca call it like that) would be cheapest.

and which would be best if you compare price of livving (food ,living, drinking...) and the beauty and lifestyle of the city part.

I believe I will make 11 dollars/hour

and my girlfriend some more - will work like waitress...

you know If I would like cheapest living - I would pick som part of the city whic is far away from center - but then there would not betht ig difference between living on the edge of any other city...

Last year we lived on manhattan but we went to agency who found there one bedroom in harlem in som Mexican familly.. And that was perfect - cheap, close to city center.... and it did not metter that we had rat in the flat once and that theroom was only big enough to have there bed and 2 ruxacks ))

you know what I mean .)

so really thank you for any help and again - sorry for spelling and grammar.

I am much better in talking than writing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,367,045 times
Definitely see if you can find some sort of service that can match you with a place to stay. I don't know of any.

In San Francisco, a studio apartment (basically a small one-room apartment place with a kitchen and bathroom) goes for around $1000-1200 a month. There are some that are cheaper but they are usually in bad areas like the Tenderloin. A 1 bedroom goes for around $1400 and up. The suburbs are usually cheaper but it depends on the suburb. In Oakland you can get a 1 bedroom for $900 to 1100 in nice areas and studios for around $700 to 900. These prices are for people who sign a lease, usually for 12 months, I don't know if the prices would be different for someone renting a place for only three months. A lot of people list apartments and rooms on craigslist that they need to rent out for a short time, like 2 or 3 months or whatever. Best would be to find a furnished place so you don't need to buy furniture, but furnished apartments are usually more than unfurnished places.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,442,138 times
You might want to consider a hostel since a short term rental would be very expensive and most likely in a bad area. I've heard good things about the hostel in Fisherman's Wharf area (Fort Mason)

San Francisco Hostels - Hostelling International - San Francisco

Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,428 times

thank you guys ))

will keep it on my mind

THANK YOU FOR RESPONSE

when you see some guy who give you excelent customer service or who drink like there is no tomorrow, running on streets and dancing and laughing - you will se We made it )

anywey - we have 6 months to go - so the more info the better

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-13-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,731,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You might want to consider a hostel since a short term rental would be very expensive and most likely in a bad area. I've heard good things about the hostel in Fisherman's Wharf area (Fort Mason)

San Francisco Hostels - Hostelling International - San Francisco
Exactly. You can get a two-person hostel for under $200 a week-total. So you guys could split that. And still be in a pretty nice, fun area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland