Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 32,857 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move next month to SF from Philadelphia, and found a house located in Silver Terrace that might be good. I can't really find out much information about the neighborhood and am wondering 1) about safety, 2) if there's anything to do locally, and 3) how the heck do I get downtown on public transportation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
I don't know anything about Silver Terrace in particular but it's next to the Bayview which is one of the worst parts of the city, and the entire southeastern 1/4th of SF (including Silver Terrace) always seems to have a lot of crime going on.

If you are moving here without ever having been here for very long, you should rent at first until you get to know the Bay Area more. Housing is still really overpriced here and shouldn't be rushed into, and it's still cheaper overall to rent than to own in SF. Rent for a year then decide if you want to buy, and you'll know more about the area and be able to make a more informed decision.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks! The house actually is for rent. I was just trying to get a feel for safety more than anything. Your comments are helpful.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,109,468 times
Yeah pass up on Silver Terrace if safety is a concern. I almost took a job righ near there over the summer so I went through that area a few times. I'm guessing you like the price and that's why it caught your eye.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM

yep! house listed for $2100 a month. the pics on google earth didn't look bad, just a little rundown. wanted to know the scoop before i got too excited.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Compared to the rest of the Bayview, Silver Terrace is a little more family oriented and that's reflected in higher housing values. Lots of middle-income immigrant families and a sizable established black population. The crime is not as bad as the areas to the east. Easy to drive to downtown or get to the freeways, and there's a light rail line running down 3rd St. There's a Smart & Final in the area for good cheap groceries. If I wanted something detached in SF, I could see the perks of Silver Terrace. Just don't expect Mayberry.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

thanks, sonarrat! that sounds realistic. not sure if you're familiar with philly, but that's where i'm moving from. its certainly not mayberry either by any stretch of the imagination i'm coming from a densely populated and fairly gritty neighborhood that's very ethnically diverse, so not disturbed by that. just wanting to make sure i'm not going to feel too uncomfortable.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Silver terrace is definitely not the worst part of the Bayview (and would not compare at all to the worst parts of Philly), but it is one of the sketchier parts of SF. I've passed through many times, and it seems like a pretty solid working class/lower middle class area thats usually pretty quiet, but kind of rough around the edges. There is some violence in that area from time to time, but its not some constant drug/gang war zone like certain other areas of the city. It lies along Silver Avenue, which connects the Bayview/Hunters Point (one of the worst hoods in SF) to the Excelsior (which can also be pretty bad at times), so there's a lot of traffic going through, including some not so nice individuals. Basically it lies right in the middle of SF's more working class, poor, and generally higher crime southeast sector, so keep that in mind. If you're used to being on your toes at times "just in case" i'd say go for it. But if you want to worry as little as possible, you should move somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland