Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Diversity includes more than just black people. If anything, SF is more diverse than Atlanta, which on the city AND metro level is majority black and white. Atlanta has far more black (and white) people than the Bay Area, but it also has far smaller Asian and Latino populations compared to SF and the Bay Area.
I understand that; it's just an observation. Also, I note that in the above post you suggest the Black community as being in the Fillmore, Tenderloin and SoMA--some of the poorer areas of SF. Perhaps that is what is bothering me, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 PM

31 posts, read 91,207 times
I predict she moves to the Mission, finds a fixie-riding indie rock coffee jockie, falls in love, gets a labia piercing and marries her within a year. Woohoo!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

Yes, you are exaggerating.

You ever hear of Chinatown? The Fillmore? The Tenderloin? North Beach? The Richmond? SOMA as well, which has lots of diversity (you must just be thinking about the gentrified eastern/downtown part or something). Aside from the Marina, Sea Cliff, Pacific Heights, etc, The northern part of SF has plenty of diversity. Whites and Asians do make up most of the population in this area, and overall its much less diverse than the southern part of SF, but there are definitely some black and latino people too (mostly in the Fillmore, Tenderloin, and SOMA). Also even though the northern part of SF is largely white and asian it's still pretty ethnically diverse, with some sizable groups of Vietnamese, Koreans, Filipinos, Russians, etc... Not everyone is "generic white american" or Chinese.

Also i would say that while there's definitely the high society, upper crust WASPY type culture in SF, it's far from prevalent, except for neighborhoods like the Marina, Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Presidio Heights, Sea Cliff, etc. So unsurprisingly, only in a bunch of the most wealthy and least diverse neighborhoods.
rah, you are exaggerating the level of diversity greatly. SF is definitely not diverse compared to most large American cities. The problem here is more of segregation. If you go to say an Indian restaurant in SF, chances are 100% of the customers are white and food is modified to cater to that taste. If you go a middle eastern place, none of the people eating and working there will be actually middle eastern. And so on..This happens all the time! Every damn thing here modified and generalized to cater to a specific racial group. The popular culture here is dominated by generic yuppie trendy spots and everything else is simply ignored. Back in Dallas, you will see well dressed professional black and hispanic people everywhere who act like the way they want. They don't have to try too hard to fit in the mainstream. In SF, you always have to make that effort to fit in and sadly you don't seem to realize it.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
I understand that; it's just an observation. Also, I note that in the above post you suggest the Black community as being in the Fillmore, Tenderloin and SoMA--some of the poorer areas of SF. Perhaps that is what is bothering me, as well.
Hey if you go on Fillmore north of Geary there won't be a single minority in sight- I guess Fillmore can still claim to be diverse just because it goes thru western addition!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
rah, you are exaggerating the level of diversity greatly. SF is definitely not diverse compared to most large American cities. The problem here is more of segregation. If you go to say an Indian restaurant in SF, chances are 100% of the customers are white and food is modified to cater to that taste. If you go a middle eastern place, none of the people eating and working there will be actually middle eastern. And so on..
I somewhat disagree. My grandparents live in the Sunset. I grew up between crashing at their house and living with my mother in Lakeview. Many times when you go to a Chinese restaurant in the Sunset, you always see many interracial couples blending in seamlessly with the Chinese folks. I've seen Black men with Asian women and their kids, Hispanic men with Asian women and of course White men with Asian women as well as White women with Asian men. I am also mixed. And nobody at these places cares about any of this.

SF is very diverse just in different ratios than other cities. Most large American cities have a miniscule Asian population and tend to have larger Black populations. In SF, these demographics just happen to be switched. For instance, the demographics of Brooklyn and San Francisco are pretty much the same after this difference. Brooklyn is only 7.5% Asian and 34.4% Black. Whereas, SF is 30.7% Asian and 5.8% Black. In terms of demographics and geographical location, these cities are like opposite sides of the same coin. I don't think anyone would argue that Brooklyn is not diverse. Sure, SF was much more diverse 20-30 years ago but to say that SF is not diverse at all is simply not true. Have you ever been to Bangor, Maine? That place lacks diversity.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Why do people even respond seriously to andyadhi?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Hey if you go on Fillmore north of Geary there won't be a single minority in sight- I guess Fillmore can still claim to be diverse just because it goes thru western addition!
My old neighborhood in Ingleside Heights in Lakeview is the exact opposite. It is mostly Asian and Black. Yeah, there were a lot more Black people back in the day. But Whites are definitely a minority in my old hood. However, some blocks still have about 25% White populations. This is one of the most diverse areas of SF. However, it is still considered to be the ghetto by some. The most diverse areas of SF are tucked and hidden away.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

Let me tell you something, the ghetto areas where I currently live are far from being this diverse. If you are White in many places in Baltimore and D.C. your Whiteness will be glowing, in a bad uncomfortable way I am assuming.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Why do people even respond seriously to andyadhi?
Maybe because many of the things he says are true? The SF cheerleaders are too delusional to be objective about their city. They have drunk their own koolaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland