Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,198,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
His point is that it's one thing to feel safe in a neighborhood and another thing for the neighborhood to be "safe" (i.e. little crime).
1. Let 0akLand speak for himself.

2. That was NOT his point. That's MY POINT.

3. I definitely did not say at any point that Mission has "little crime."

4. My point is that you can feel safe in a neighborhood with crime as long as you are cognizant of (things that I already mentioned in previous posts).

5. So it comes down to.... you guys taking my position, making it yours, and then debating me on it. That's evil... and genius! Bravo. (Hand clapping).

Quote:
And no, most of the murders happened on or right next to Mission Street, which we all said is NOT safe, particularly not at night. The only murder that didn't happen on or next to Mission Street was on Camp Street right around the Valencia Gardens, which is where most of the violent crime west of Valencia happens.

Which is basically what I said in my first post and expanded on subsequently. Most violent crime happens on close proximity to SVN and Mission St (and then rah jumped in and said I was wrong but didn't offer a reason, which is why I said he must not have been to the Mission in long while. His info seems outdated.).

Seriously, are you going to keep repeating things that I said and making it your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,702,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
1. Let 0akLand speak for himself.

2. That was NOT his point. That's MY POINT.

3. I definitely did not say at any point that Mission has "little crime."

4. My point is that you can feel safe in a neighborhood with crime as long as you are cognizant of (things that I already mentioned in previous posts).

5. So it comes down to.... you guys taking my position, making it yours, and then debating me on it. That's evil... and genius! Bravo. (Hand clapping).

Which is basically what I said in my first post and expanded on subsequently. Most violent crime happens on close proximity to SVN and Mission St (and then rah jumped in and said I was wrong but didn't offer a reason, which is why I said he must not have been to the Mission in long while. His info seems outdated.).

Seriously, are you going to keep repeating things that I said and making it your own?

What, you can't read now? That was exactly what he (Oakland) said. Read it again:

Quote:
Ya know, I feel safe in my West Oakland on my block, but at least I have the common sense to realize that it's not the safest part of Oakland and that people encounter crime a lot. Maybe if my hood were trendier, I'd argue otherwise til I was blue in the face...

Translation: While I feel safe where I live in West Oakland, I realize that West Oakland is not a "safe" area.

Care to debate that translation?

And no, you said that the majority of the homicides happened west of Mission Street when in reality most of them either happened on or east of Mission Street. Only one happened west of Mission street (the one on Camp Street).

Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,140,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
I think the Mission is safe for most people who aren't involved in crime, but it's a lot more dangerous than other parts of the city, higher number of muggings, etc. I've walked around the Mission at night a ton of times, many of them after having been in a bar, with nothing happening, but I still feel alert/cautious about the possibility - definitely a "radar up" kind of neighborhood, though not an "avoid at all costs" neighborhood.

This

Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
What, you can't read now? That was exactly what he (Oakland) said. Read it again:

Translation: While I feel safe where I live in West Oakland, I realize that West Oakland is not a "safe" area.

Care to debate that translation?

Please tell me you're just pretending not to get it.

Ok, here goes: I said that cannot be his point because what 0ak1and said is MY POINT. Meaning, if that is indeed his point then he has taken my position and made it his own. Which in effect means he is agreeing with me but arguing with me at the same time. Hence, that can't be his point unless he has indeed agreed with me, which would make no sense because he's still debating me.

Get it now? Please, please tell me you get it now.

Quote:
And no, you said that the majority of the homicides happened west of Mission Street when in reality most of them either happened on or east of Mission Street. Only one happened west of Mission street (the one on Camp Street).

And the cook who was killed on San Carlos St?

The shootings that took place near Valencia and 16th in March?

The recent shooting on Valencia St and 14th?

From my memory, the only recent murder east of Mission St was near 20th and Hampshire, which happened to be in the zone where I said is dangerous (for gangs and druggies) since if shootings do occur there it is almost always targeting those guys. And indeed, that's what happened.

Also, to reiterate, what I said was that most of the shootings recently happened to be in West Mission. But doesn't mean I said West Mission (West of Mission St) gets most of the shootings, no, WM itself is more prone to muggings and robbery than killings, and many instances of targeting innocent folks minding their business.

At this point, I fail to see any valid contribution being made here. It's basically down to you guys either inventing things that I didn't say, or nit-picking sentences and drawing things way out of context in order to get another cheap shot at me. You do notice that I've basically been just correcting you guys on what I did and didn't say and repeating the same points over and over until you get it.

A previous poster said it best, you guys are trying to tell me how I live my life. Trying to tell me what my neighborhood is like. At some point it's going to dawn on you that you can't possibly win this argument. That's it's so easy for me to correct you guys. Imagine if I try to tell you that I know more about your nabe than you do. What kind of egomaniac would do such thing?

Last edited by beb0p; 09-23-2011 at 03:24 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
I think the Mission is safe for most people who aren't involved in crime, but it's a lot more dangerous than other parts of the city, higher number of muggings, etc. I've walked around the Mission at night a ton of times, many of them after having been in a bar, with nothing happening, but I still feel alert/cautious about the possibility - definitely a "radar up" kind of neighborhood, though not an "avoid at all costs" neighborhood.
Exactly. I agree with you.

But if history is any trend, the Oaklanders will jump in and start mentioning "stray bullets", "mistaken identity", "drive bys", "gangs", "shootings", "Gary, Indiana", etc; and say how naive of you to think that the Mission is safe for someone who isn't out looking for trouble!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,702,273 times
Quote:

But if history is any trend, the Oaklanders will jump in and start mentioning "stray bullets", "mistaken identity", "drive bys", "gangs", "shootings", "Gary, Indiana", etc; and say how naive of you to think that the Mission is safe for someone who isn't out looking for trouble!

No we won't, because he summed up exactly what was left out of your first post:

Quote:
While generally the victims of crime in the Mission tend to be involved in crime, it's still an area where you (a non-criminal) need to be aware of your surroundings at all times and have a plan if something actually goes down while you're there.

And yes, how extremely naive of you to think that the Mission is safe for someone who isn't out looking for trouble. While it is considerably safer for you than for those out committing crimes, that does not in any way shape or form make it safe.

How clueless can you really be? Speaking of things that happened not too long ago:

Woman kidnapped in Mission, escapes abductor in Potrero Hill | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner

And yeah, notice that the cook was mistaken for a gang member. The only reason that happened was because he happened to be in the general vicinity of gang territory. If he had been cooking at a restaurant in say, the Marina, he'd likely still be alive.

Anyway, I will drop this discussion because you're convinced that you and others similar to you are immune to crime in the Mission since you're not a criminal and you're not hanging out on 22nd & Shotwell.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,215,609 times
Quote:
While generally the victims of crime in the Mission tend to be involved in crime, it's still an area where you (a non-criminal) need to be aware of your surroundings at all times and have a plan if something actually goes down while you're there.

And yes, how extremely naive of you to think that the Mission is safe for someone who isn't out looking for trouble. While it is considerably safer for you than for those out committing crimes, that does not in any way shape or form make it safe.
Exactly. Some more recent incidents (the past two weeks) involving non-criminals to help prove it:
Horror after knock on door in Mission | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
Jump in Robberies Remains Unexplained, Police Say Stay Sober, Watch that Cell Phone – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District
A Stabbing, More Robberies and a Few Arrests – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District
SFPD Recap: Robbery with Gun – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District
SFPD Recap: Laptop Thief Climbs Through Window – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District
SFPD Recap: Suspicious Fire on Dolores and Two Robberies – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District

and this one didn't exactly happen in the mission district (despite what the headline says), but it did happen just a couple blocks away, on Market and Valencia:
UPDATE: Two women robbed, one pistol-whipped at Mission district hotel | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner

Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM

70 posts, read 130,828 times
Quote:

Well, it's all relative, right? I don't know if I'd recommend parts of the Mission to say, a new transplant from farm country Iowa who hasn't honed that sense of danger avoidance yet. Also, I'm an Oaklander, I just spend a lot of time in the Mission, so not sure what to make of that last comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland