Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times

Advertisements

Four SFPD heroes (all making way upwards of 6 figures) shoots a mentally challenged disabled man sitting on a wheel chair:

SFPD shooting | Videos | KGO

Its clear in the video that the cops shot him before he threw a knife but SFPD has a different story:

S.F. police shoot man with knife; officer stabbed

The best part:

[LEFT]"He appears to toss the knife" in the video, Gascón said, but officers are "reacting to the motion. What the officers are seeing and what is actually happening may be different."

Welcome to bay area... the home of the most trigger happy and highest paid cops on planet-
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Focus on the message, not the messanger !
You're absolutely right andy. This sort of thing is by no means unique to SF. I remember a long time ago SDPD shot a mentally ill man who had a stick. I'm sorry, did I forget to mention they shot him to the tune of like 38 times?

Then there was the police officer in Seattle who boxed a girl in the face.

Then there was the BART police, a force that doesn't belong to a city but to a transit company who shot the guy they had on the ground in a BART station. We all know the sh*t storm that created.

I fail to see what point you attempted to make.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Let's put you in sfpd's shoes and watch you panic when someone pulls a weapon on you, so easy to point the finger. There are cases of neglect, but the average officer is doing their job and protecting their lives and ours.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Now that I think about it...They were really in a lot of danger. God knows what that man could have done with that knife from his wheelchair.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Now that I think about it...They were really in a lot of danger. God knows what that man could have done with that knife from his wheelchair.
He might have addressed them in a negative tone, or made a face. Or asked for change. Cant have that sort of thing 'round these parts.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
What in the hell are they teaching these LEO's at the Academy these days?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
With the weather being as pleasant and sunny as it has been the last few days-and with much of the same forecasted for the next several days- andy undoubtedly is pretty pissed off. He's got to have something negative to say.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Let's put you in sfpd's shoes and watch you panic when someone pulls a weapon on you, so easy to point the finger. There are cases of neglect, but the average officer is doing their job and protecting their lives and ours.
If a cop can't tackle a man on a wheelchair from the back or by using pepper spray then we don't need cops. The shooting was completely unnecessary!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
What in the hell are they teaching these LEO's at the Academy these days?
After the hero worship post 9/11, many police departments seemed to adopt a "taze first, ask questions later" approach to things. It seems as though people are getting angry about it again; for a few years there, it seemed like the average American took the "if they were in the sort of situation where a cop would taze them in the first place, they probably were an unsavory character to begin with" attitude to the matter; now, after thousands and thousands of everyday American citizens have been needlessly roughed-up by cynical cops, the attitude has changed.

I was pulled out of my car, thrown to the ground, and had a gun pulled on me by an LAPD officer in '06. Then, he put it on my screaming girlfriend, told her to "shut the f up" and asked if she "wanted to be cuffed too?"

My offense: I made a left turn off of Lincoln Boulevard. Anyone who's ever lived on the Westside of LA knows what a mortal sin this is (i.e., they allege that you obstructed traffic even if no one else was on the road). Then he alleged that my car wasn't up to code (I had the CHP write off on it after I had it modified and kept asking if I could get the paperwork out of the glovebox; he refused) and that I'd "blown every stop sign" we'd passed - WITH THE COP CAR BEHIND ME. Put a mandatory 30-day hold on my car and suspended my license. The whole mess I had to go through in court to get it all thrown out was maddening and wasted thousands of dollars.

If it can happen to a 23-year old glasses-wearing white kid with an Asian girl in the passenger's seat of a late-model Jetta that has a service flag with one blue star and one gold star in the back window, it can happen to anyone.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
He might have addressed them in a negative tone, or made a face. Or asked for change. Cant have that sort of thing 'round these parts.
Oh yeah true. I try to make sure that I never even sneeze when I see a cop. Never know what could set them off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland