Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times

Advertisements

I lived in SF for 6 years, including a stint at Capp and 18th in the armpit of the Mission and I never had anything stolen from me in SF or in Oakland. There's a first time for everything but I feel like I can be less guarded about theft in SF than when I lived in Chicago where many people I knew were pickpocketed. But you can't be dumb or expect bad things to not happen, break-ins happen all the time in Rockridge and I'd never leave a bike in Oakland or SF without a chain through the tires and a kryptonite lock through the frame, and I wouldn't leave the bike out for more than a couple hours at the most. In any case it seems like you hate SF so much that I'm surprised you even leave the house there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
All that big talk about being street smart is great until you are the victim. Street thugs think of themselves as smart and invincible, but end up getting killed - Being perpetually wary of crime is not a norm in every city and should'nt be the case in the most expensive and so called (self proclaimed) nice city like SF.
1. I'm not a street thug

2. If using common sense is "big talk" to you, that explains an awful lot LOL

3. Regardless what city you're in, being wary of crime is just common sense...oops...sorry andy. I live in safe San Diego and I'm still wary of it

I'm not quite sure if any of this makes any sense to you. Please let me know if you would like it broken down. I can provide test questions before we move on to the next lesson.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Yeah and "street smarts" isn't being tough, it's being smart.

lol andy.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
No problem with being street smart! But the bike was not stolen from the street or public place. It was in my apartment backyard that is difficult for outsiders to access and still locked to the stairs with a cable lock. So this is akin to a home invasion robbery and not a simple theft (not that SFPD cares either way). BTW, according to SFPD statistics my apartment is one of the safest block of the city- I can only imagine what its like in the high crime areas.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM

277 posts, read 379,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
No problem with being street smart! But the bike was not stolen from the street or public place. It was in my apartment backyard that is difficult for outsiders to access and still locked to the stairs with a cable lock. So this is akin to a home invasion robbery and not a simple theft (not that SFPD cares either way). BTW, according to SFPD statistics my apartment is one of the safest block of the city- I can only imagine what its like in the high crime areas.
Why don't you move back to Texas already? Your complaining is getting old. It's like a nagging wife. Just **** already.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM

37 posts, read 57,707 times
Whoever thinks SF is more dangerous than Oakland hasnt been to Oakland, or maybe just to the hills and back, but SF is all about condensed bad ass pockets, where as in Oakland u can get run up on in about 70 pecent of the city if ur slippin, theres a reason y its like the 5th most dangerous city in America

Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Unless I'm missing something about BART, living in the East Bay and working in SF would be no less expensive than living in the city of SF. BART is just plain expensive at around $7 for a round trip ticket from Rockridge to SF. $7 a day every day adds up FAST. That's an extra $154 a month minimum with a 22 day work month on top of any other transportation costs you incur. You make more than 22 round trips from Oakland to SF in a month-like on the weekends-you're over $154 and more like at $200. So, that apt you got for $1300 in Oakland that would have gone for $1500 in SF doesn't really save you any money.

Why is BART so expensive? Isn't the system close to 40 years old? It should be paid for by now.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevykid View Post
Whoever thinks SF is more dangerous than Oakland hasnt been to Oakland, or maybe just to the hills and back, but SF is all about condensed bad ass pockets, where as in Oakland u can get run up on in about 70 pecent of the city if ur slippin, theres a reason y its like the 5th most dangerous city in America

Not really. The difference between Oakland and SF is that you pretty much have to be doing something you're not supposed to to get caught up... SF is full of equal opportunists spread out across the entire city. I'm in Fruitvale/Funktown/Allendale (Dirty 30s)/Jingletown all the time... I feel safer in all of them than I did the one time I've been to HP. Mind you, you need to use common sense... I'm only in the areas I just mentioned in the daytime and at the latest 8:00. After that, nope. I also don't venture into the war zones (DEO, Bushrod & Campbell Village/Cypress Village area) because unless you live there or know someone there you shouldn't be there. People here in Oakland tend to be nicer than their counterparts in SF though.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevykid View Post
Saying 70% of Oakland is dangerous (is that what getting run up on means?) is an exaggeration. The point being made is that crime in SF tends to be more random and spread out. I have no idea if this is true or if it's just a confirmation bias backed by a couple weeks worth of data, but here are the reports of homicide and assault with a deadly weapon for the last 30 days in both places:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/lmk1649/sanfran_homicide_weapon-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I lived in SF for 6 years, including a stint at Capp and 18th in the armpit of the Mission and I never had anything stolen from me in SF or in Oakland. There's a first time for everything but I feel like I can be less guarded about theft in SF than when I lived in Chicago where many people I knew were pickpocketed. But you can't be dumb or expect bad things to not happen, break-ins happen all the time in Rockridge and I'd never leave a bike in Oakland or SF without a chain through the tires and a kryptonite lock through the frame, and I wouldn't leave the bike out for more than a couple hours at the most. In any case it seems like you hate SF so much that I'm surprised you even leave the house there.
Well I lived in inner city Dallas for more than 10 years and never was victim of any crime and never had to watch out for anything. And inner city Dallas is far more racially, socially diverse with significantly more poverty than SF. In one year in SF I lost more than $1200 in theft and horrible crimes happen everyday in SF. So just accept the fact that SF is in fact a crime-infested ghetto on par with some of the highest crime cities in US. Petty crimes, thefts, car break-ins, vandalism etc. are so widespread in SF that people here (including SFPD) don't even think of these as crimes and people like you go on the propaganda about how SF is. Let's just say my values are different and I have little tolerance for the sc*mba*s that seem to infest SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland