U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM

44 posts, read 62,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Invigorate the body, uplift the senses, feel the feeling of pure love that is...Sobrante Park!
Original, gottstumm. Finally come to the realization that the Rubicon, perhaps, has been crossed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This comment doesn't even make sense by any measure.
Google, my dear. Ciao.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,626,955 times
Quote:
This comment doesn't even make sense by any measure.
Sure it does in a discussion of a place that seems to have and promote more mental health professionals per capita than anywhere else, and needs them!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,670 posts, read 72,592,618 times
We have lived there and still have friends there, but I'd never go back.

Some people have been lucky and lived there 50 years with no problems, but the odds of being a victim are greater when there's more crime spread out over an entire city.

Have a look at this:

Oakland Crimespotting: Map

Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 PM

28,234 posts, read 35,087,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

Some people have been lucky and lived there 50 years with no problems, but the odds of being a victim are greater when there's more crime spread out over an entire city.

Have a look at this:

It sounds like you are no longer comfortable living in a city. It is pretty unrealistic to expect zero crime in areas with a large population density.

Crime happens, but most serious crime in Oakland isn't random. Petty crime is a crime of opportunity, as long as you use common sense and urban smarts, you'll have no problem living in Oakland.

Crime in SF is a lot more widespread: http://sanfrancisco.crimespotting.or...23:59:59-07:00

Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 28,169,272 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are no longer comfortable living in a city. It is pretty unrealistic to expect zero crime in areas with a large population density.
It's unrealistic to expect zero crime anywhere. The toniest enclaves in southern California are just the sites of the highest-profile crimes..

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,282,888 times
Naw, it's really dangerous. I just had to use my AK to defend myself on the way to Safeway. The things I have to do just to go grocery shopping. This past week, 37 people were killed in the weekly gang shootouts that we hold on Thursdays.

Oh how I wish I could live in San Francisco where nothing bad ever happens.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,282,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

Have a look at this:

Um, most if not all of those crimes likely involved people who knew each other. This is a town of nearly half a million people, you think we're stabbing, shooting, and robbing each other everyday?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,045,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
This is a town of nearly half a million people, you think we're stabbing, shooting, and robbing each other everyday?
Well no...everynight!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM

66 posts, read 314,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Naw, it's really dangerous. I just had to use my AK to defend myself on the way to Safeway. The things I have to do just to go grocery shopping. This past week, 37 people were killed in the weekly gang shootouts that we hold on Thursdays.

Oh how I wish I could live in San Francisco where nothing bad ever happens.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM

6,915 posts, read 14,119,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolseen View Post

He was joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland