Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Here's one neighborhood I would recommend to you based on your criteria:

Dimond District
(East Oakland) - one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Oakland. Situated above 580 and centered on the intersection of Fruitvale & MacArthur, this neighborhood is fully equipped in amenities but is also very affordable... you could easily find a 2 bedroom in your price range. I would recommend that you look above MacArthur Blvd in Upper Dimond if you consider this neighborhood.

Some of the commercial offerings/amenities in this area include:

-Dimond Library
-Three grocery stores (Safeway, Farmer Joe's and the Food Mill)
-Dimond Park
-a full swath of dining (Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Soul Food, etc.)
-Three banks (Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo)

And more. The closest BART station (Fruitvale BART) is only a 10 minute bus ride away. The only drag about this area is that the commercial center kind of dies after 7:00...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM

25 posts, read 34,104 times
Thanks for the neighborhood suggestion, we'll check it out. Looks like we may have to try to find a 1bd w/ an office. All of the nicer 2bds are pretty pricey and further away from the BART station. Being close to BART is important since my partner is a flight attendant and works crazy hours sometimes....so I guess I should say being close to a safe BART station. We both lived in Atlanta for years and walked through all kinds of neighborhoods, so our version of safe might be more broad than others. Theoretically, though, she could take a bus the the station (she does that now) so we'll check out Dimond. And we LOVE Indian food!!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM

@Nineties Flava: I just checked out the pics you posted of Oakland---thank you! I love Oakland...ooo, I'm really looking forward to the move!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
There are a number of community college in and around Oakland though I'm not sure what they specialize in. So if you're looking at community college you might look at what's offered in the area. As others have mentioned its getting quite competitive to get into some of the local colleges and universities so you might want to research what that situation is before you decide to make a final move. If you can't get into the college you want then that would negate one of your main reasons for moving.

Is the Bay Area culturally diverse? Yes. There are people from all over the world and from all over the country as well. That said, it is still pretty segregated in my opinion. The rich people live in their area, the poor in theirs, and so on. There is a fairly noticeable economic disparity where there's basically a whole ton of incredibly rich people and then a whole lot of poor. Not a lot of middle class. On the other hand people are generally accepting and open minded. The Bay area as a whole is a pretty liberal area.

I know this sounds strange and a total oddball comparison, but my Aunt is from Memphis TN and after having visited her numerous times and her me out here, we both agree that Memphis is actually very similar in many ways to Oakland in terms of culture, the artistic vibe, and the sort of gruff reputation. Sort of a Southern Sister city. You can bet its going to be dirt-cheap and there is UT ( University of TN ) Memphis there too. Anyway, just an idea as crazy as that sounds...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM

@sliverbox: Thanks for the input. Yeah, the community college situation is a big concern for us. It's actually my partner who'll be going. I figure she'll just have to apply to as many schools as she can, including SFSU, and we'll wish for the best. The main reason she wants to go to community college is because we want to pay out of pocket and not add on any more student loans (I already have enough as it is!).

I've heard good things about Memphis, actually. But after spending 11 years in Atlanta, we're both done with the south. Personally, I've had a lot of negative experiences in the south and I don't wish to return. It is cheap, though.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
The Dimond is nice and cheap and very diverse while being very middle class, but I think if you lived there without a car you'd feel kind of isolated. Plus getting off at Fruitvale BART late at night to wait for a bus wouldn't be great.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Memphis is indeed in the South but like any other region, the South is very diverse in terms of geography and culture. Memphis is definitely not at all like Atlanta. Atlanta is its own thing. Memphis is also not your typical Southern city. I'm Southern myself and after having lived there, the East Coast, and the West Coast I can honestly say people are for the most part very similar no matter where you go or live. I can definitely tell you I've had my fair share of negative experiences in all three places. The Bay Area is not different. Its %$# expensive here. There is definitely a distinct class divide.

Probably the best thing about the Bay Area is the weather. Its 65 today and sunny. It was in the 70's last week. It stops raining from April-October. There is a lot of scenic beauty. There are also many, many cities and locals crammed into one area. Oakland is only one part of the whole. There are many, many different neighborhoods and towns that offer a wide variety of housing, commuting, cultural and cost options. You could easily live outside of Oakland and be there in a few minutes. I've lived in 3 different cities in the 10 years I've lived here. All have their pros and cons.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM

@mayorhaggar: Thanks for the input about the Fruitvale BART...something to consider.
@sliverbox: You're absolutely right, all Southern cities are not the same. I didn't mean to imply this. Honestly, we're just over the South for now. Might be nice to go back to one day, though. And, yes, the weather in the Bay Area is perfect. Everyone in Chicago thinks I'm crazy when I tell them I'd take a Chicago winter over a Georgia summer anyday. Even so, I admit that I'm growing weary of the 5 months of winter in Chicago. The prospect of living in a year-round moderate climate is, in a word, heavenly.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
In Oakland there is Laney College (a community one) and they have lots of sister classes with Berkeley. Same with Berkeley Community College. They also have plenty of sister classes. When I went to Cal, I knew a lot of community college transfers. There was a slightly different admissions process for older students, so who know it could be easier than expected when you get out. Both Laney and Vista are super easy to get to via public transit. Laney is a block or two from Lake Merritt BART and Berkeley Community college (formerly Vista) is a couple of blocks from the Downtown Berkeley BART. There is another community college in Oakland, somewhere in the hills. There is the Peralta community college district that covers most of the east bay. The College of Alameda is pretty transit friendly as well. It is near the 51 stop in Alameda. (Easily bikeable, Alameda is just on the other side of Downtown Oakland via a Tube)
The Peralta Colleges

Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Dear Op,
I lived in the Chicago area half of my life and went to College in the bay area so let me help ya

On your concerns

1) The best and cheapest way is to go to a Jr college. It takes one year to gain residency (which will be huge with regards to tuition). It also is a cheap way to knock gen eds out of the way. Colleges are two tier like they are in most places. On one hand you have the extremely expensive and competitive Privates like Standford and santa clara, and you got the UC's. Cal states are cheaper and for a reason.

2) Transportation in bay simply put, is now where on the level of New York or Chicago. Transit is less extensive, more balkanized, less cohesive, more expensive, and less reliable in the bay area . It sad to say but the Muni and ac bus is still a staple of public transit just as they were in 1960.They don't even really have a lot of cabs. I can't tell you how many times I've been smack dab on market in Central SF and had to wait 3-5 minutes for a cab. Not cool.

3) Affordability and the bay area is an oxymoron. Your price range gets you a one bedroom (at best) or a studio in the trendy parts of the bay.

4) The bay area is segregated. The asians and gays do not self segregate as much as they do back east. But that is where it stops. Diversity in the bay means white, gay, and asian, with a small and preferably illegal (easy to exploit) hispanic service class. People tend to shy away from large groups of blacks, hispanics, and south east asains. There are hate groups and racial tension is very apparent in the bay.

The worst part about the segregation is the economic segregation. People (including many bay natives) hate the poor. If you want an idea check out the "low income housing in pleasanton" thread. A teacher with some kids, qualifies as low income and was the plantiff on the law suit, and people (including some who post here and live in pleasanton) treat and refer to her as if she is a welfare-queen.

As for your questions
1) The UC system is the one and only staple of California's education system that is hanging in there. And they are struggling. The cost of attending has gone up considerably since I went and one day UC's simply wont be affordable for a super-majority (3/4 the population) of californians. Thats part of the reason UC's are stepping up their out of state admissions. They are making room for people who are just as qualified as California kids, but have more money to spend.

2) Transportation and everything else is so expensive in the bay because it is a pay more and get less type of place. People say the weather, and the scenic setting and the people is supposed to make up for it but I just don't see it.

3) The diversity is not a myth, in so much as it is a typical California/ Hollywierd illusion. People will talk about how many asians and hispanics there are here, for example... But the bulk of the population that is asain comes from 3-4 specific countries and virtually all the hispanics are exclusively from mexico. So on paper it looks diverse, but the diversity is not as extensive as say parts of NYC.

The myth is more the integration. People work together, but they don't play together.

4) It is possible to find a 2 bedroom for 1300, but it will likely be in an area that ranges from considerably downscale to down right craptastic. Unless you are open to relocating to the EXURBS. But my guess is since you are looking for something not so auto centric, that may not work out.

Good luck on your searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland