Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I heard about this story earlier this morning.
Brazen Daylight Assault In SF Caught On Tape - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

No coverage in the Chron of course. But they did find space for the recent Lake Merritt incident.

#fail

Are we asking for too much, if we want balanced and equal news coverage of crime in the Bay Area? I sent a letter to the editor. No response....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I heard about this story earlier this morning.
Brazen Daylight Assault In SF Caught On Tape - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

No coverage in the Chron of course. But they did find space for the recent Lake Merritt incident.

#fail

Are we asking for too much, if we want balanced and equal news coverage of crime in the Bay Area? I sent a letter to the editor. No response....
Yeah, welcome to the Chronicle. This type of bias has been going on for a long time, and you can mostly thank tourism for that (cant scare all of our money away now, can we). But honestly what do you expect from the SF Comical when even SF's own government and police force misinform the public or play dumb when it comes to crime in SF (see stupid mayoral comments that dismiss shootings in violent drug zones as "rare" when they obviously aren't, see the SFPD significantly crewing with crime stats on multiple occasions, the SFPD releasing misleading press releases/stats to the news, etc)?

You know what the best evidence is though, of this bias towards protecting SF from negative media attention when it comes to crime? The fact that SFgate never reported on the SFPD admitting to seriously undercounting violent crime in SF for years on end. They never mentioned it at all...in fact i only ever found one article about it, in the SF examiner (which kinda sucks too, but at least they actually report on crime in SF on a daily basis). If Oakland had been found to have been underreporting violent crime by 20% every year for at least 5 years straight, like SF was, you can bet there would have been a big front page news article, and the story would have been up on the SFgate website for a week or something...and then there would be a follow up, or two or three, and 500+ comments, etc, etc. But SF comparatively gets a free pass for this kind of stuff...It's a pretty lame bias. Anyone remember that giant front page "Homicides in Oakland" series the SF Chronicle ran a few years ago?...they ran it at the same time that SAN FRANCISCO itself was having a record amount of murders. yeah, that was a pretty frustrating one.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
^The kind of crime reporting that the SF media partakes in is borderline racist...

Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
lol

Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Borderline?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Things like that happen in SF with such high frequency that it is not even considered news. Heck the Chronicle barely even reports all the murders. The shooting that happened on broad daylight today on Haight is hidden on the front page of Chronicle at the very bottom!!

I doubt if SFPD actually pursues robbery and assaults at all. The SFPD crime mapping is totally messed up. I filed a police report for theft and it was accepted but it never showed up on the crime map. All they seem to care about is their fat paychecks and pushing paper and hanging out at the coffee shops.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Borderline?

lol true. I was trying to be accommodating... I see that its not warranted here.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
"Officers at a nearby coffee shop heard the shooting, hurried to the store and arrested Sam Kazzouh, Panina said. Police recovered the gun, authorities said.[LEFT]
Read more: Haight market worker held in customer's shooting"

LOL....Officers were hanging out at the coffee shop! Criminals need to avoid a block with a coffee shop it seems-
[/LEFT]

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
The Chronicle is ridiculous for many reasons. The only thing they are tops for in the Bay Area is their sunday paper has the most inserts and coupons-that's what my neighbor says. LOL.

The SJ Mercury Newas is way better imo. They really fixed up the Oakland Trib if you ask me.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
The Chron is not that great considering it's a major regional paper. sfgate is ok for general local news but I hate how now they try to blend dopey blog posts with the news without telling you on their main page which articles are some whiny blogger in his pyjamas complaining about tipping in restaurants and which articles are actual news articles. If I want to read a blog I'll go read one of the millions of boring blogs you can find online. If I want news I'd like to be able to get it from my local paper's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland