Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,427,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra29 View Post
Hi.

My husband and I, our 2 kids and a dog, are considering moving to the Bay Area. We're unsure whether to make the leap. I am an artist, (writer/actor/photographer), and he's more an engineer/business type, with a good job lined up. We both love the outdoors - he's very psyched about Tahoe and Yosemite, etc. But we're both from smaller towns (currently live in Tampa), and we have a child on the autism spectrum. Having never lived in the city before, we're not sure if we're romanticizing its positives or not. We THINK it'll be a very liberal, open-minded, diverse, interesting place to raise our boys, offering both of us challenges in our work, too, with wonderful places nearby to visit and lots of culture. But then we hear the state is bankrupt, schools are dicey in places, and the expense of housing makes it not worth it. Is it worth it? Should we move? Help!
Depends. Do you have an annual income of at least $250K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,057,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Thus it is incumbent on parents to produce abnormal children, if they are to be successful in CA schools. Or something.

There's always so much hand-wringing about CA schools, but the place seems to generate an awful lot of scholars going on to highly competitive universities and lucrative careers.
Seems like middle schools and high schools in CA have been a wreck for quite a while thanks to prop 13, but university education, especially at a UC, has remained world class and very renowned especially in the Bay Are, and until recently was pretty affordable. Now that tuition is going up through the roof and programs are being cut, who knows how long UC will continue to have any cachet. Local employers might have to start hiring people who went to other states or only hire people who went to Stanford--right now it seems like most people in the Bay Area with good jobs went to either Stanford or UC Berkeley, it seems like just going to those schools is more important to a lot of employers than what those job applicants studied or what they're good at...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,776,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Depends. Do you have an annual income of at least $250K?
income needs to be considered.the san francisco bay area has world class restaurants,symphony,ballet ,plays ,musicals ,sailing and reasonable distance to weekend skiing but i am beginning to question the rational of living here if you can't afford to enjoy the things that many feel make the bay area attractive and are barely getting by on a salary that would give you a comfortable lifestyle somewhere else.

i mean if if these are things you would do once a year do you need to live in sf as opposed to living somewhere cheaper and taking a vacation in sf once a year

Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM

96 posts, read 203,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I keep hearing CA having bad schools but it keeps on brewing great and successful people. And with Asians infiltrating, they will keep bad schools from getting worse.
Sorry to burst your bubble but most Asians send their kids to private schools.

California is expansive not doubt about it. I recommend you come for a visit before deciding on the move.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,971,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzy View Post

California is expansive not doubt about it. I recommend you come for a visit before deciding on the move.
Really? Where did you get your information from to qualify you as knowledgeable on this subject?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,322,147 times
Quote:
No they don't. I happen to be Asian and I find that blanket statement rather dubious. And I send my kid to our local public school.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,322,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I keep hearing CA having bad schools but it keeps on brewing great and successful people. And with Asians infiltrating, they will keep bad schools from getting worse.
Infiltrating? That's a pretty darned loaded word and offensive to this Chinese-American, it implies that they aren't moving here with good intentions.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,776,165 times
Quote:

please cite your source for this statement.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,655,006 times
Rent near your husbands job and figure out where to go from there. The suburbs are NOT the city and commuting sucks

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,655,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Infiltrating? That's a pretty darned loaded word and offensive to this Chinese-American, it implies that they aren't moving here with good intentions.
Wonder where he "hears" that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland