Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,729 times

Advertisements

The Richmond is a fine place to live. I preferred the Outer Richmond because it's a little more relaxed. Ocean and Baker beaches are within a couple minutes. There isn't a lot in the way of nightlife out that way. It's pretty quiet, which is good if you have a family.

The weather is different there, but I would call it "cool" rather than "cold" and "breezy" rather than "windy" unless you're down near Ocean Beach where you do get huge wind in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,583 times
The Richmond District is safe. I grew up in the Richmond District, and still live here, and I think it is a great neighborhood to raise children in. [mod cut]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 02-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: deleted advertising link

Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola99 View Post
I'm planning a move to SF with small children, and though we are mostly considering Noe Valley / Pac Heights, we've also started to look at the Richmond since we've been told by so many that it is great for kids. However, I got a little worried when I saw this:

Victim Of Richmond District Mugging's Uncommon Experience: Getting Her Stuff Back: News: SFAppeal

Is the Richmond District known for a lot of muggings like this, or is this pretty rare? I'm not at all a stranger to the city (have lived in Manhattan for 15 years) but I live in a very safe neighborhood here (West Village) and would like to live somewhere that is just as safe in SF.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Missed this earlier. We lived in the Richmond with a young child and LOVED it; the best neighborhood in the city for kids, I think. We never had any problems with crime. It's a big city and there are going to be some issues, but I would consider the neighborhood to overall be very safe. We never had any problems, and as far as I know none of my friends had, either. When reading the crime reports there were rare daytime events, but for the most part the muggings and things seemed to involve people walking alone very late at night. I doubt it's any worse than Noe Valley. In any case, no, the neighborhood isn't known for muggings or crime. Quite the opposite, actually.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 PM

263 posts, read 529,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Crime is rampant and widespread in SF, including in 'so called' good neighborhoods. You are really understating the problem here. Everyone I know in SF has been a victim of some kind of crime or the other (mostly theft). This doesn't happen in every city. I guess growing up in SF has given you a very skewed perspective about what's 'safe'.
We must hang out in different circles.

I don't know a single person here who has been a victim of crime outside of one friend having his window smashed because he left an ipod on the seat.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
The Richmond is one of the most mild and harmless parts of SF. If you think it's a dangerous cesspit of crime you're probably a serial whiner like andy.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 785 times
Our ACURA has been stolen last weekend... not sure if I can call this neighborhood safe anymore!!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I had relatives who owned several small apartment buildings in the Richmond, between Geary and Clement. They said there was a tendency towards break-ins, and they had bars put on some of their windows, especially skylights. Never experienced any personal crime--no muggings or hold-ups or anything, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland