Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 25,464 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to the bay area in the summer and we're lookign for a place to live between our jobs at Berkeley and Stanford. I looked around and my impression is that we could do Fremont, San Francisco, or some place like Burlingame or San Mateo (from where it's maybe conceivable to drive/park to Millbrae BART as far as Berkeley goes).

Has anyone tried out commuting from these places? Also, while Fremont is convenient, safe, and inexpensive, it doesn't seem to riveting, so if we could make a place like SF work it would be ideal.

I looked into Potrero Hill, and it seems nice (and in our price range, which is like 2500-3000/month tops for a 2-3 bedroom), but I wonder what it's like living there given that it's got some projects on the south end, and the bad part of Mission on the west. For example, is it safe to walk form the caltrain station to some place on the north slope of Potrero after dark? Any input about other neighborhoods that might work would be appreciated. Both of us would like an easy option no tot have to drive to work from whereever it is we live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:30 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwest888 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are moving to the bay area in the summer and we're lookign for a place to live between our jobs at Berkeley and Stanford. I looked around and my impression is that we could do Fremont, San Francisco, or some place like Burlingame or San Mateo (from where it's maybe conceivable to drive/park to Millbrae BART as far as Berkeley goes).

Has anyone tried out commuting from these places? Also, while Fremont is convenient, safe, and inexpensive, it doesn't seem to riveting, so if we could make a place like SF work it would be ideal.

I looked into Potrero Hill, and it seems nice (and in our price range, which is like 2500-3000/month tops for a 2-3 bedroom), but I wonder what it's like living there given that it's got some projects on the south end, and the bad part of Mission on the west. For example, is it safe to walk form the caltrain station to some place on the north slope of Potrero after dark? Any input about other neighborhoods that might work would be appreciated. Both of us would like an easy option no tot have to drive to work from whereever it is we live.
Why not move to Millbrae (or northern Burlingame), drive together (or walk) to Bart/Caltrain, one taking BART to Berkeley and the other Caltrain to Stanford?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Lots of condo-style buildings near the 22nd street and the 4th and King Caltrain stations, with lots of Silicon Valley yuppies living in those areas who take Caltrain south every day.

Potrero Hill is ok, it feels a bit more spacious and isolated compared with other parts of SF. The northern side of it should be fine. There are some nice shops and restaurants here and there.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 25,464 times
We are considering moving to Millbrae, but a) I'm not sure we like the neighborhood within walking distance of Bart there, and b) we're concerned about potential noise from the airport there. San Francisco seems like a fair spot in the middle of the two.

I like the idea of being in SF but a bit less crowded and high-risey, like Potrero Hill. Just one small question: Is the 22nd st caltrain station generally safe, or does it get seedy in the later parts of the day?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
It looks pretty dumpy and is under a giant elevated highway but seriously, probably 90% of people getting on and off the train there are Silicon Valley yuppies from the condos that surround it. I haven't been there late at night but my guess is that it would look scarier than it actually is. The station at 4th and King is in a more open area with a lot of new condos around it.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwest888 View Post
Just one small question: Is the 22nd st caltrain station generally safe, or does it get seedy in the later parts of the day?
If you look at SFPD crime maps this area gets sporadic crimes, robberies, muggings, people with guns, occasional murders etc. It is right next to the notorious housing projects in Potrero in the west and hunter's point to the south, both of which have lot of violent crime. The area is run-down, industrial and sketchy. This is also the car breakin capital of the planet! The number of smashed windows I see here everyday is simply astounding!!!!

Dear Esprit Park Shoppers: Buyer Beware - Dogpatch Liberation Front

Its true that many yuppies have shelled out big money to buy condos in this industrial wasteland! Its also true that property values tanked in this area and most owners are deeply under water! I did not make up the wasteland part... This area known as Dogpatch/Central Waterfront is in large part EPA designated brownfields (owned by SF port authority).

The area is completely dead at night (and most part of the day) and its eerie to drive there at night, let alone walk! Trust me, I know this area very well!

All the negativity aside, I like hanging out here because there are some cool restaurants (Hard-Knox is great) and I guess the run-down, absolutely tree-less, industrial wasteland vibe kind of grows on you...This area has an edge..and a war-ravaged, bombed-out look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland