Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
WC is more upper middle class than upscale. The difference is that chains like BJ's, PF Chang's, etc. would actually be in the Midwestern equivalents of Piedmont and Atherton, and more than likely they'd be the main draw for outsiders. The upscale dining culture that exists in the Bay suburbia (Chez Panisse for example) does not really exist in the Midwest outside of Chicago and its suburbs. People are more complacent/satisfied with chains.
You're really splitting hairs here. Many of the people the eat, shop, and go out in WC come from the surrounding area. People from Danville, Alamo, and Lamorinda all come to WC. If they didn't it wouldn't have all the retail it does, especially the upscale retail. The fact is chains are popular in many areas of the Bay Area like everywhere else. Maybe you don't see that since Oakland doesn't really have a strong retail base but that's not really a good thing either, especially in CA where local cities depend on sales tax.

Also when did you live in the Midwest?

The fact that you don't think places like Pleasanton, Dublin, Antioch, Pittsburgh, Concord, etc..aren't filled with chains just shows how little you know other parts of the Bay Area. Dublin and San Ramon don't even have traditional downtowns, you think it's local stores making up the majority of all those strip malls? Again, what other significant retail is there in Pleasanton besides Stoneridge Mall? Or Sunvalley Mall in Concord? All of which are filled with chains.

Just look what's opened in WC in the last 15 years and how much of that was national chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The town after that has about 600 people. And I think they have their own fast food place.
I just had to know. That town (Hemingway, SC) has 4 fast food places. Population of 500 people. The surrounding areas are trees and very small towns.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yeah, you did.

"I don't feel the majority of people in Northern CA are foodies that all shop at local stores like some of you make it seem."
No I didn't, when someone claims something them they've straight out said it. With what some of you are saying that is what is "seems" like to ME.

Some of you are acting like, and actually said, our "consumer culture" in the Bay Area is so different and I don't think it is at all over most of the area.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're really splitting hairs here. Many of the people the eat, shop, and go out in WC come from the surrounding area. People from Danville, Alamo, and Lamorinda all come to WC. If they didn't it wouldn't have all the retail it does, especially the upscale retail. The fact is chains are popular in many areas of the Bay Area like everywhere else. Maybe you don't see that since Oakland doesn't really have a strong retail base but that's not really a good thing either, especially in CA where local cities depend on sales tax.

Also when did you live in the Midwest?

The fact that you don't think places like Pleasanton, Dublin, Antioch, Pittsburgh, Concord, etc..aren't filled with chains just shows how little you know other parts of the Bay Area. Dublin and San Ramon don't even have traditional downtowns, you think it's local stores making up the majority of all those strip malls? Again, what other significant retail is there in Pleasanton besides Stoneridge Mall? Or Sunvalley Mall in Concord? All of which are filled with chains.

Just look what's opened in WC in the last 15 years and how much of that was national chains.
Even the most chain heavy places in the Bay Area, have more local businesses than their equivalents in the Midwest and the South. When I lived in Myrtle Beach, there were literally 3 or 4 Chinese places in the entire 400 sq mile Grand Strand Region. There were 3 Japanese places. About 2 dozen local seafood places, and everything else was a chain restaurant. Each mall had a food court full of chains. Each strip mall had chains. The only places you could find non chains were on some of the beachfront roads, where there was a leftover crab shack or something. The entire time I lived there, there were about 6 restaurants we went to in the area that were not some sort of regional or national chain. Much worse than Dublin or Walnut Creek. In those places, even in the strip malls, there are always a couple of locally owned places. Whether it is asian food or a nail shop or mexican or something else. Even in Dublin, the land of the strip mall, some of the strips malls on Amador Valley and Dublin Blvd are mostly non-chain places.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Dublin was about 1 fast food spot per 7000 people. Myrtle Beach is about 1 per 3500 people. My dads town (and its neighbors) are more like 1 per 1500. So that is still a much higher number of fast food places per person.
So a suburb, a resort town, and a small rural town. The only pattern I see is you're comparing vastly different types of areas.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Even the most chain heavy places in the Bay Area, have more local businesses than their equivalents in the Midwest and the South. When I lived in Myrtle Beach,
TOURISTS.

Again, I'm not just comparing the Bay Area to the MIDWEST and SOUTH. There's more to this country than those places.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Also I'm curious how busy is the PF Changs in Palo Alto? I'd figure being so close to Atherton that many of it's residents would shop and dine there.

For the third time, I do think the Bay Area likely below the national average as far as fast food and possibly chains, but compared to the NATIONAL AVERAGE it's not that drastic. The Midwest and South don't represent the nation.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Midwest and South don't represent the nation.
Really? Considering the "flyover states" are basically the essence of the american heartland, I find that hard to believe. The Northeast isn't very representative of the country on the whole. And neither is the southwest.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Really? Considering the "flyover states" are basically the essence of the american heartland, I find that hard to believe. The Northeast isn't very representative of the country on the whole. And neither is the southwest.
Does the national average of anything only include the Midwest and South?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
this Yelp argument is retarded

the number of people who use Yelp in Oakland is going to be way higher than a city like Omaha. I really shouldn't have to explain why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland