Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Rafael and Novato and I left there almost 26 years ago with my husband who was transferred to E WA. My mother lives in Marin, is elderly and alone (other family lives in LA and Midwest). So she thought it might be nice if I moved back. I'm alone here myself. I'm unemployed, have only a certificate from a school program I completed in June. I also have a subsidized housing voucher til I can get on my feet.But I looked at what the rents are there and the deposits (the avg deposit here is about $350). And maybe only the rather crappy rentals in Marin take a housing voucher? Or is that just an assumption. I just don't want to rely on my mom; neither she or I are prepared for that.I forgot to add, I have to be out of my place on 9/30 so some decision has to be made. Like maybe putting my stuff in storage here and going there to visit and see how Marin would be for me. And come back here if it's a no-go. Input, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I don't quite understand what you are asking.

Marin is one of the most expensive counties in the US so you'd have to deal with that. The rest of the Bay Area is a lot less expensive though SF comes close. Also the job market sucks in the Bay Area and is always worse when you go to less urban areas like Marin.

On the other hand if there's just no work in WA maybe you'd have more luck here.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,336 times
Nothing in Marin is cheap....Not sure you would even be able to afford the less expensive parts of Marin like San Rafael and Novato. Maybe up north of Marin in Sonoma or Petaluma?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
Do you want to move back? This is unclear from what you've shared. As already mentioned Marin is one of the most expensive counties in the United States. Rents are not cheap, however where there's a will there's always a way. You can find a roommate....you could live with your Mom until you get back on your feet. Practical financial requirements probably should be considered aside from what you'd prefer to do. It sounds like you don't have a lot of time for that? All I can say is yes, it's expensive and you probably need a well researched plan and a few back up plans.

The East Bay or Sonoma county might be close enough....and perhaps work out better for you if you cannot find anything reasonable in Marin.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightlylu View Post
I grew up in San Rafael and Novato and I left there almost 26 years ago with my husband who was transferred to E WA. My mother lives in Marin, is elderly and alone (other family lives in LA and Midwest). So she thought it might be nice if I moved back. I'm alone here myself. I'm unemployed, have only a certificate from a school program I completed in June. I also have a subsidized housing voucher til I can get on my feet.But I looked at what the rents are there and the deposits (the avg deposit here is about $350). And maybe only the rather crappy rentals in Marin take a housing voucher? Or is that just an assumption. I just don't want to rely on my mom; neither she or I are prepared for that.I forgot to add, I have to be out of my place on 9/30 so some decision has to be made. Like maybe putting my stuff in storage here and going there to visit and see how Marin would be for me. And come back here if it's a no-go. Input, please?
just remember family is important and I know your mom would feel so much better having you close, but the cost of living is going to be much higher in Marin. Well, not everything, but many things.

Nita

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,985 times
I went back to WA. Marin County was pretty chunk of nowhere IMO. And that's about all I can say for it, that it was attractive-looking. The place sucks in every other way and so the do the people.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightlylu View Post
I went back to WA. Marin County was pretty chunk of nowhere IMO. And that's about all I can say for it, that it was attractive-looking. The place sucks in every other way and so the do the people.
Thanks for telling me I suck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland